"Green 80! Blue 18!"

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Any of you X's and O's afficienados care to enlighten me as to why most NFL quarterbacks shout out "Blue 18!" or "Green 80!" Or combinations of those two at the line of scrimmage? There are many others of course but those two seem to be the most ubiqitous. At first I thought it was just Seahawks quarterbacks (the blue and green designations make sense) but for years now I've heard nearly every QB in the league shout those out at the line.

Threedee

Reaction score
Aros":3swqpsgr said:
Any of you X's and O's afficienados care to enlighten me as to why most NFL quarterbacks shout out "Blue 18!" or "Green 80!" Or combinations of those two at the line of scrimmage? There are many others of course but those two seem to be the most ubiqitous. At first I thought it was just Seahawks quarterbacks (the blue and green designations make sense) but for years now I've heard nearly every QB in the league shout those out at the line.

My guess is that the commonality of those calls makes QBs think they can confuse defenses with regard to the actual meanings, and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah maybe so. Didn't Manning once say when asked about the meaning of "Omaha" at the line what it meant, and he basically said hell if he knew? LOL! It's just a word to throw off the defense that has very little real meaning.

JPatera76

Reaction score
I also think I was BWags who yelled “BullSh..” at Manning when he called Omaha and it threw him off and confused him.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
JPatera76":2x3a7769 said:
I also think I was BWags who yelled “BullSh..” at Manning when he called Omaha and it threw him off and confused him.
Yep, that was in XLVIII.

uncle fester

Reaction score
I’ve never heard that story - and it’s absolutely believable, given that defense - do any of you have a link?