Drew Brees close to breaking mildly obscure record.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Brees now has 78,747 passing yards in his career. While he broke the NFL record a couple years ago, the professional outdoor football record (in other words, arena discluded) is 79,816 held by a guy named Anthony Calvillo, who played his entire career in the CFL. The reason this record interests me, is that the last guy to hold the record for ONLY his play in the NFL was Johnny Unitas, whose total was passed by a guy named Ron Lancaster in the 1975 CFL season. Warren Moon broke the record in the mid-90's and became the first professional QB to throw for 70,000 yards (NFL and CFL). Since then, the record has been broken by Damon Allen (another CFL QB and Marcus's younger brother), and by Calvillo.

However, Brees is right now on pace to take back the record for the Red, White, and Blue for the first time in 45 years, only 1,070 yards away. If all goes well, he can get the record in 3-4 more games. Go, Drew, go!

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
This is gonna sound silly but Calvillo's career was cut short by injury, specifically a concussion.

He was still killing it & passing for 5000+ yards every year & had at least a few more good years left when he went down.

ivotuk

Reaction score
This is interesting info. I've always found the CFL a fun watch. Especially when there's no NFL. Thanks for the post.

KinesProf

Reaction score
And, if it's the Pro Football Hall of Fame and not the NFL Hall of Fame, then Cam Wake needs to get in. His resume is insane.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
KinesProf":nrpoz7rk said:
And, if it's the Pro Football Hall of Fame and not the NFL Hall of Fame, then Cam Wake needs to get in. His resume is insane.

Cameron Wake was a stud when he played for BC & a stud for Miami. He was a fantastic player & I had no doubt he would do well, barring injury, in the NFL.

I have no idea how he was undrafted & ended up in the CFL. They must have used him wrong at Penn State or maybe he was undersized or had personal issues or something. IDK.

Threedee

Reaction score
Even though he's declining, I always hope that Brees can continue to play until after Brady retires, so as to ensure that his passing numbers remain in the lead.

OP
OP
Maulbert

Maulbert

Reaction score
Threedee":1tclsh0m said:
Even though he's declining, I always hope that Brees can continue to play until after Brady retires, so as to ensure that his passing numbers remain in the lead.

Well, fortunately, Brady is turning into Mr. Senior Moment.