Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kyle Shanahan… I'm Beginning to Have My Doubts

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics. Ex-Seahawks fall into NFL topics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
  • As some may or may not know, I have been a big proponent of his for a longtime. I had hopes and dreams of him being scooped up as the new OC to replace Bevell back in 2015. He is a brilliant offensive mind and playcaller that would fit Wilson's game like a glove. Running those outside zone plays with boot action, it would've been a match made in heaven.

I thought Quinn was a genius when he made him his OC, and I got really nervous when the Niners hired him. I knew they would still suck the first couple of years, due to talent deficiency, but if they ever got that solved, I knew they were going to become a big problem.

Last year, before the season I called it on this very forum, "Make no mistake the Niners are the real threat, not the Rams."

But this year, Kyle has had some really head scratching decisions, and done things that are not becoming of a head coach. He is starting to appear to be that cliché, milquetoast OC, turned HC. A guy that is brilliant when he's on the whiteboard designing plays. But is lacking in the management skills necessary to handle personnel (He has Pete Carroll power down there, the Niners modeled their power structure like the Seahawks.) To lead men, and inspire his players to give great effort when on the field. They are a team that is really lacking in leadership, and it starts with the HC.

The Niners had all of their weapons on hand, Jimmy back in the lineup, and they could only muster 17 points against the lowly Dolphins? It was ugly, and the offense was unprepared for that game. But forget the offense for a moment, that would be judging him as a playcaller again.

Let's focus on the stuff that the head man in charge is supposed to provide. Shanny told his team after coming off of a superbowl loss, that they were the best team in the league and they proved it last year. Which set them up for failure this season as they now have nothing to prove. Wow, super inspiring coach!

The injuries some would say did them in. But fun fact: The Seahawks have suffered the most injuries in the league, (SF is #2) and it hasn't stopped the Hawks from going 5-0.
    Yes, the Hawks have Wilson, but they also have Pete, who gets his players to play with incredible effort on every play. While providing the proper leadership and voice for the team on a day to day basis. Also any Niner fan would tell you the Niners have the deeper roster so they should be more equipped to deal with the injuries.

Now back to the game on Sunday. The Ahkello Witherspoon, Brian Allen debacle. Who TF is Brian Allen?? They then promptly bench him after he was roasted for 3 TDs. And he will probably never play in the league ever again. :D They saw Jimmy in practice all week and they still started him? Why?

Matt Maiocco summarized it best ->

The Niners are about to embark on the toughest stretch of games that any team will face this year.

LAR
    @ NE
    @ SEA
    GB
    @ NO
    @ LAR
    BUF

:shock: :shock: :shock:

It's really easy to be a leader when things are going great like last year, but you don't actually know what you truly have until the adversity hits. This stretch of games is going to reveal Kyle's true character as a HC.

I don't expect him to actually win very many of these games, but I do expect him to inspire his team to play with great effort and grit. Otherwise he's just an OC pretending to be an HC.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

• My worry is that they wise up in Santa Clara, and dump Jimmy G and sign Dak. Shanny O would be great with Dak.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

• It's hard to place blame on Shan for the cornerback issue. Due to injuries they didn't have anyone but PS guys and no preseason/short camp makes it harder than in past years to evaluate new guys.

Putting in Jimmy G however was totally his fault. He was a hurt statue out there putting little weight on his back foot. JG didn't have an injury designation on Friday and they couldn't see something that obvious in practice, just when he threw a bunch of ints.

The OL is mostly their starters from last year with exception of Williams who was supposed to be better than Staley and they appear to be regressing as a unit. Again totally on Shan.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

• Maybe 2019 is the Shanahan/Lyhch outlier season, and not 17, 18 or 20.
    KinesProf
    NET Rookie

• Spot on Fade. Again. I remember your post last year, and appreciate the fact that you'll go out on a limb. Easy to do when you're right all the time, right? :P

I thought the 49ers were the team this year with all of that early 1st round talent on the Dline, but injuries got to them. But so did their head coach. Kyle needs more seasoning as an OC. If I were him, I'd try to get a job with Pete to learn the ropes, and to have the "privilege" of coaching Russell Wilson.

I like Robert Saleh, but I think he's been the beneficiary of a loaded defensive roster. Again, more seasoning and he will be a good coach, as long as he keeps his confidence.
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• I think it's more about who has been injured, rather than the number of injuries.
    Ramfan128
    NET Veteran

• As long as the Rams stay healthy, they are going to be a formidable force. They are enjoying the kind of injury favorable year that SF had last year. We may as well go ahead and give Donald the DPOY trophy now.

Despite their inexplicable loss to Detroit, I still believe the NFCW comes down to the Cards vs the Hawks, but the favorable schedule for the Rams may propel them into the competition.

We know is isn't all about the number of injuries, but which players go out that is the key. The Niner have reverted to the injury mean, but aren't losing JAGs. They lost marquee players, and I agree that KS is not the guy to overcome the deficit with his JAGs. They are done, and won't make the playoffs.

Not to suggest that Carroll is so good that he could overcome the loss of his starting QB.
    bigskydoc
    NET Veteran

• :D
    Ramfan128 wrote:I think it's more about who has been injured, rather than the number of injuries.

They also underestimated Defo on the DL. He was the best player on the DL they had, and traded him. Now Indy suddenly has the top ranked D.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

• bigskydoc wrote:As long as the Rams stay healthy, they are going to be a formidable force. They are enjoying the kind of injury favorable year that SF had last year. We may as well go ahead and give Donald the DPOY trophy now.

Despite their inexplicable loss to Detroit, I still believe the NFCW comes down to the Cards vs the Hawks, but the favorable schedule for the Rams may propel them into the competition.

We know is isn't all about the number of injuries, but which players go out that is the key. The Niner have reverted to the injury mean, but aren't losing JAGs. They lost marquee players, and I agree that KS is not the guy to overcome the deficit with his JAGs. They are done, and won't make the playoffs.

Not to suggest that Carroll is so good that he could overcome the loss of his starting QB.

So as far as the favorable schedule goes, Seahawks and Cards automatically have it easier. We all play the same teams except for the NFC South and North teams.

Rams: Bears and Bucs (7-3)

Seahawks: Falcons and Vikings (1-9)

Cardinals: Lions and Panthers - already lost to both, but obviously not as good as the Bears or Bucs.

McVay has never lost to Arizona, so I just can't imagine them finishing ahead of the Rams this year. We'll see.
    Ramfan128
    NET Veteran

• I have no doubts on Shanahan.

It's the injuries and a perplexingly underperforming offensive line.

Its not enough to say "they have injuries". It WHERE those injuries are, specifically outside pass rush and CB. They have lost all ability to get pressure and they were literally down their #1, #2, #3, #4, and #6 corners. No Pressure, no coverage, no defense.

They've had injuries on offense as well, most notably at WR, TE, and of course QB, but the most alarming issue has been O-Line. They only have one injury there, but they have regressed substantially there.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• Marvin49 wrote:I have no doubts on Shanahan.

Its not enough to say "they have injuries". It WHERE those injuries are, specifically outside pass rush and CB. They have lost all ability to get pressure and they were literally down their #1, #2, #3, #4, and #6 corners. No Pressure, no coverage, no defense.

They've had injuries on offense as well, most notably at WR, TE, and of course QB, but the most alarming issue has been O-Line. They only have one injury there, but they have regressed substantially there.

If I were Shan I'd be reaching out to Staley to do an OL consultant deal.

It can't hurt.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

• Here is the equivalent in Seahawk injuries:

WR Metcalf - start season on IR, play week 5
    WR Lockett- miss first two games of season with a hamstring
    C Ethan Pocic- start season on PUP
    TE Dissly- miss two games with an injured knee and bone bruise, TE Greg Olsen- IR with a ankle sprain
    QB Wilson- miss 2.5 games with a high ankle sprain
    RB Chris Carson- miss 3 games with an ankle sprain
    RB Carlos Hyde- IR high ankle sprain

DE LJ Collier -out for season ACL
    DT Jarran Reed - out for season ACL
    NT Anthony Rush - miss two games
    LEO - Benson Mayowa IR - back pain
    OLB - KJ Wright- new high ankle sprain
    RCB Quinton Dunbar - IR , calf
    LCB Shaquill Griffin- missed two games concussion
    RCB Tre Flowers IR - high ankle sprain
    LCB - Ryan Neal - miss 2 games hamstring

And you guys are blaming the coach. That's rich.

Mistake made is not getting help for 48. (I don't even know his f'in name because he is like our 8th corner) Roll coverage, yank him, do something . But no, they put up 24 points and 225 yards, plus one PI to his side and kept him on an island. That's on Saleh. Also on witherspoon for being soft.

Jimmy was fine enough to play, he was throwing fine in my mind until he got hit 3-4 times and couldn't scramble away. The second mistake is the call on 4th and 1 to line up in shotgun. I don't know why they didn't put Jimmy under centre, but perhaps a QB sneak is not an option with his ankle. He is really rusty and did not FP until Friday, so perhaps should not have started.

3rd mistake is continuing to press the issue before the half, they should have called screens and runs to pick up something cheap.

So yeah, this last Miami game had coaching errors, but where were the errors in the other 4 games?
    94Smith
    NET Starter

• Ramfan128 wrote:I think it's more about who has been injured, rather than the number of injuries.

I expect their defense to look subpar, I'm not surprised there, but they had 10 of 11 starters on offense against the Dolphins and looked like crap. The defense is injured but the O should be a well oiled machine right now with Shanny in in his 4th season there. They have leadership issues, lack of hunger, AND injuries.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

• 94Smith wrote:Here is the equivalent in Seahawk injuries:

TE Dissly- miss two games with an injured knee and bone bruise, TE Greg Olsen- IR with a ankle sprain

Mistake made is not getting help for 48. (I don't even know his f'in name because he is like our 8th corner) Roll coverage, yank him, do something . But no, they put up 24 points and 225 yards, plus one PI to his side and kept him on an island. That's on Saleh. Also on witherspoon for being soft.

Jimmy was fine enough to play, he was throwing fine in my mind until he got hit 3-4 times and couldn't scramble away. The second mistake is the call on 4th and 1 to line up in shotgun. I don't know why they didn't put Jimmy under centre, but perhaps a QB sneak is not an option with his ankle. He is really rusty and did not FP until Friday, so perhaps should not have started.

3rd mistake is continuing to press the issue before the half, they should have called screens and runs to pick up something cheap.

So yeah, this last Miami game had coaching errors, but where were the errors in the other 4 games?

Ultimately the point I was trying to make is the Seahawks have lost starters and big stars like Jamal Adams to injury too, and they're still finding ways to win these games, with a dumpster fire of a defense. Meanwhile The 9ers looked incredibly flat, disinterested, and disorganized against the Dolphins in what should've been a get right game coming off of a loss. They are not a motivated football team.

There should be a sense of urgency in the building this week. If they get boat raced by the Rams, and look noncompetitive with the starting offense largely intact. There are bigger underlying problems afoot with the Niners. LEADERSHIP. I'm seeing a team that is playing with no passion, no matter who is on the field. No Heart. S-O-F-T.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

• Fade wrote:
    Ramfan128 wrote:I think it's more about who has been injured, rather than the number of injuries.

I expect their defense to look subpar, I'm not surprised there, but they had 10 of 11 starters on offense against the Dolphins and looked like crap. The defense is injured but the O should be a well oiled machine right now with Shanny in in his 4th season there. They have leadership issues, lack of hunger, AND injuries.

They don't have leadership or hunger issues.

They have injury issues and inability to block on the O-Line issues.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• Fade wrote:
    94Smith wrote:Here is the equivalent in Seahawk injuries:

Ultimately the point I was trying to make is the Seahawks have lost starters and big stars like Jamal Adams to injury too, and they're still finding ways to win these games, with a dumpster fire of a defense. Meanwhile The 9ers looked incredibly flat, disinterested, and disorganized against the Dolphins in what should've been a get right game coming off of a loss. They are not a motivated football team.

There should be a sense of urgency in the building this week. If they get boat raced by the Rams, and look noncompetitive with the starting offense largely intact. There are bigger underlying problems afoot with the Niners. LEADERSHIP. I'm seeing a team that is playing with no passion, no matter who is on the field. No Heart. S-O-F-T.

WOW. WAYYYYY off base on that one.

What you are seeing is a D that has been decimated and an O that can't protect its QB to save their lives.

I'm no Jimmy G hater, but come on man....the difference is pretty clear. Its Russell Wilson. I'm a Niner fan and I know Wilson is light years better than any QB the Niners have. What would your record be if Wilson had missed 2.5 games? I suspect you wouldn't be saying the team was soft and lacked leadership.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• Marvin49 wrote:I have no doubts on Shanahan.

Great offensive coaches, which Shanny is, always seem to have a well-oiled machine on offense. Andy Reed lost Mahomes last year, Matt Moore stepped in for a spell and they didn't miss a beat.

The excuses for the defense are justified. The offense should not be this bad, though. The more I look into what is going on down there, the more I'm not liking what I'm seeing when I put the injuries off to the side. The upcoming games will tell us a lot about what kind of motivator Kyle is. Again, I'm not expecting a lot wins upcoming given the schedule, that's not what I'm looking at. I'm trying to see a team willing to put up a fight and remain competitive. With the HC displaying real influence, while leading his team through an adverse season.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

• The offensive issues begin and end with the offensive line. I think they will get better, but that is where the issues are coming from. WAYYY too many pressures, I think 49ers QBS have taken the most hits in the league. Our offense only succeeds when we can run the ball and do play action. They have not been able to run the ball consistently and are getting into 3rd and long situations with a lot of sacks
    94Smith
    NET Starter

• Fade wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:I have no doubts on Shanahan.

Great offensive coaches, which Shanny is, always seem to have a well-oiled machine on offense. Andy Reed lost Mahomes last year, Matt Moore stepped in for a spell and they didn't miss a beat.

The excuses for the defense are justified. The offense should not be this bad, though. The more I look into what is going on down there, the more I'm not liking what I'm seeing when I put the injuries off to the side. The upcoming games will tell us a lot about what kind of motivator Kyle is. Again, I'm not expecting a lot wins upcoming given the schedule, that's not what I'm looking at. I'm trying to see a team willing to put up a fight and remain competitive. With the HC displaying real influence, while leading his team through an adverse season.

...and again...the problem is NOT motivation.

As we've been saying on SEVERAL occasions here and you seem to just kinda be skipping over, the problems for the most part are on the offensive line. Deebo JUST got back. Aiyuk has looked pretty good. Kittle just got back a few games ago. Mostert and Coleman missed the last several games, tho Mostert was one of the bright spots last week in his first game back.

The issue right now is protection. There are two new starters and a backup center, but they are giving up WAY too much pressure. That how Jimmy got hurt in the first place. Add problems in protection to a QB who is totally immobile due to that injury...bad Mojo. Then you add a D giving up yards and points in bunches and being forced to pass the ball with an injured QB and no protection...you get sunday.

Finally, Jimmy, as much as I like him, isn't Russell Wilson. Wilson covers ALOT of problems in protection and covered problems on D. As much as I'd like him to be, Jimmy just isn't that guy. He doesn't need to be either.

So please, spare me the "we've had injuries too and we are still good". Yes, you've had injuries...but guess what would happen if one of those injuries was Russell Wilson.

You wouldn't be here saying...."wow, looks like a motivation problem". No, you'd be saying "Its the injuries stupid".
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• Wait, Marv, that doesn't hold for the O-line as you said. There were decisions involved ie dumping Person for Brunskill. Garland was a known quantity last year as well. Besides Williams, these are guys that Shan all knows and they don't look like they are playing like an organized unit with all the pressure being allowed, especially when it's toward more a system QB than a scrambler like RW or yes Kyler.

Jimmy will get better, if he doesn't you'll probably put Beathard out there, but whoever's out there has no chance beyond this o-line that appears to have almost disintegrated after the ec games.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

• SantaClaraHawk wrote:Wait, Marv, that doesn't hold for the O-line as you said. There were decisions involved ie dumping Person for Brunskill. Garland was a known quantity last year as well. Besides Williams, these are guys that Shan all knows and they don't look like they are playing like an organized unit with all the pressure being allowed, especially when it's toward more a system QB than a scrambler like RW or yes Kyler.

Jimmy will get better, if he doesn't you'll probably put Beathard out there, but whoever's out there has no chance beyond this o-line that appears to have almost disintegrated after the ec games.

Thats fair. I wasn't trying to excuse O-Line play by saying "Two new starters". It did kinda sound that way on re-read.

Both the move to Brunskill and Williams wer thought to be upgrades, but as of this moment, they haven't been. Williams in particular is inexplicable. As I showed in another thread, the dude is still a hyper athletic monster, but he has SOOO many lapses. Alot of the pressure, hits, and sacks have come from his side.

There is no excuse on this one. The O-Line has been horrendous. McGlinchey regressing as well.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• Maybe you guys should hire Cable. I hear he's a regular O-line guru.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

• GeekHawk wrote:Maybe you guys should hire Cable. I hear he's a regular O-line guru.

Raiders are a game behind KC and were competitive even with them in their game.

There's a lot worse you could do than with 2020 Cable
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

• Is he back with ray-duhs? If so, the only reason he's having anything resembling success with them is because he hasn't had a chance to put his own particular brand of screw-up into them. Just wait. He was okay here too, until he was able to fully realize his vision of what an NFL O-line should be. And it's taken Solari a couple of years to even start to erase the stain. I really doubt the ray-duhs have converted D-linemen, and converted prima ballerinas, and converted whatever-the-hell-else that idiot wanted instead of actual O-linemen on the O-line.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

• Issue is, if you have a Statue the QB better be Aaron Rodgers who isn't a statue of the typical nature he can roll out, but a Brady or Manning type Statue needs a line or damn fast release and an offense that can play to that.

If not you better have a mobile QB which many of the best teams in the league now have.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• 94Smith wrote:Here is the equivalent in Seahawk injuries:

Enough.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

• Seems unlikely to be a motivation problem...

Miami blowing the doors off a banged-up Niners team doesn't seem much different that the Cardinals blowing the doors off a banged-up Seahawks team late last season. Was the resulting beat-down because Carroll was slipping as a leader? It also seemed like we were just trying to stay healthy.

I think overall Shanahan has been pretty good in the leadership and motivation area. It's so easy to second-guess. Of course, there can be learning curve along the way, which I think we saw against the Dolphins. It's not just up to Shanahan, it's up to Saleh and the other Niners coaching staff, though they only show Saleh on TV. It's up to the team leaders among the 49ers players.

Plenty of adversity to overcome. Shanahan's real test is the next few weeks, that murderous upcoming schedule.
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

• It's up to the team leaders among the 49ers players.

And some crucial 2019 team pieces are not there now.

Staley--retired
    Bosa--season-ending ACL
    Sherm--on short-term IR and not expected to return

So that's one.

Plus they aren't at the mo showing the heart that we did against Minny at the end there, or for that matter Philly when they played Dal last year or for that matter when they played us in playoffs. They just kept putting in PS guys that kept doing the job and even 41-yo McCown played on a broken hamstring until the very end.

I don't see that heart from them. I see it as them just throwing in the towel when the window of opportunity starts closing.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

• It looks like this year is a total loss for SF. I think next year is real deal breaker. If he can't turn it around he may go down and a big time choke artist coach. Just as McVay's got knocked down a peg or two, Shannahan needs to show he can win the big game and that is going to be very hard in the NFC West for the next 2 or 3 years.
    Wenhawk
    .NET Owner

• Wenhawk wrote:It looks like this year is a total loss for SF. I think next year is real deal breaker. If he can't turn it around he may go down and a big time choke artist coach. Just as McVay's got knocked down a peg or two, Shannahan needs to show he can win the big game and that is going to be very hard in the NFC West for the next 2 or 3 years.

So...the Jed York thing is to see the West as just us versus the 9ers. He fed on it with his base putting up losing Seahawk scores in his stadium even when they were losing to everyone else in the league, and when he was competitive with the Hawks. That's his baseline expectation, that he'll be competitive with us or if he's not then with another No. 2 there.

A year in the cellar? My guess is he keeps both shan and lynch as they come as a pair.

Another year esp with his team not in the conversation, Yeah Jed will probably think about doing another Tomsula/Kelly rollover.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

• SantaClaraHawk wrote:
    Wenhawk wrote:It looks like this year is a total loss for SF. I think next year is real deal breaker. If he can't turn it around he may go down and a big time choke artist coach. Just as McVay's got knocked down a peg or two, Shannahan needs to show he can win the big game and that is going to be very hard in the NFC West for the next 2 or 3 years.

So...the Jed York thing is to see the West as just us versus the 9ers. He fed on it with his base putting up losing Seahawk scores in his stadium even when they were losing to everyone else in the league, and when he was competitive with the Hawks. That's his baseline expectation, that he'll be competitive with us or if he's not then with another No. 2 there.

A year in the cellar? My guess is he keeps both shan and lynch as they come as a pair.

Another year esp with his team not in the conversation, Yeah Jed will probably think about doing another Tomsula/Kelly rollover.

So a few things on this post. The 49ers are 2-2 against your Seahawks in the last 4 games and defending NFC champs. Plus, we still face you twice. I think cellar dwellers is highly unlikely as there is a ton of talent still. Finally, I doubt York would move on from this coach GM combo if they are not meeting expectations as he made that mistake with Harbaugh.

Finally, if Jimmy G is mediocre the rest of the season the 49ers will just move on. Something tells me some big names will be available this offseason and I could see a Matt Ryan reunion especially if a new regime is in Atlanta and they are drafting high enough to get a marquee QB. The other possibility is Aaron Rodgers although the packers would be idiots for letting him go
    94Smith
    NET Starter

• 94Smith wrote:
    So a few things on this post. The 49ers are 2-2 against your Seahawks in the last 4 games and defending NFC champs. Plus, we still face you twice. I think cellar dwellers is highly unlikely as there is a ton of talent still. Finally, I doubt York would move on from this coach GM combo if they are not meeting expectations as he made that mistake with Harbaugh.

Finally, if Jimmy G is mediocre the rest of the season the 49ers will just move on. Something tells me some big names will be available this offseason and I could see a Matt Ryan reunion especially if a new regime is in Atlanta and they are drafting high enough to get a marquee QB. The other possibility is Aaron Rodgers although the packers would be idiots for letting him go

Oh definitely, he won't do it this year no matter what happens, because the images of the "F york" phallic balloons being batted around in his stadiumhe are still fresh in his mind. The media outrage against "hold me accountable" and then producing freaking Tomsula is probably another salient memory.

He got Lynch to deal with the PR, which has helped him immensely, but Shan came with it. So Jed is kind of in that boat but he's going to eventually deal with it without results if there's a multi-year drought. Martha Ford told Quinn/Patricia they'd be out if it didn't look like they were making playoffs by t-giving and it looks like Martha's kid (who has taken over the team) is holding them to that.

He and Shanlynch are going to def have questions about that QB position going forward; clearly they already did by looking at the possibility of Tom Brady.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

• I disagree with Niners Fanbois and "muh injuries", and agree with George Kittle.

These are the type of players and the culture Kyle is allowing on his football team.

Grant Cohn's a troll, but his Kyle Shanahan impression he does is absolutely hilarious and spot on. He got his dad to laugh, and then he asked him to do the impression again. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Starts at 5:35

A must watch. And that's what I am talking about with Kyle, brilliant on the whiteboard, but completely uninspiring as a leader of men. Kyle is a young coach, and this just may be a rough patch, or last year was an outlier. That's what I'm trying to find out. The rest of this season is going to tell a whole lot. Don't be milquetoast Kyle, inspire your players!
    Fade
    NET Veteran

• I don't know, you don't need your coach to be a "leader" or a rah rah guy. New age athletes and vets kind of scoff at that. Look at Belicheck. You need your coach to put your team in the best position to win. Leadership should come from the veterans. We lost two in Staley and Buck and Sherman is on IR. That's three captains right there
    94Smith
    NET Starter

• 94Smith wrote:I don't know, you don't need your coach to be a "leader" or a rah rah guy. New age athletes and vets kind of scoff at that. Look at Belicheck. You need your coach to put your team in the best position to win. Leadership should come from the veterans. We lost two in Staley and Buck and Sherman is on IR. That's three captains right there

Jim Harbaugh was 20x the leader Shanny is, and I don't consider him "rah rah." I think Shanny is still the smarter offensive mind though. Bill Belichick motivates his team and gets them to play hard without being "rah rah." Tony Gonzales has told a great story about how Bill tricked him into playing hard in the Pro-Bowl back in the day for example. Stop the damage control.

The Niners are a looking like a disinterested, disorganized, football team right now. And it must stop this week. They largely have the starting lineup on offense intact. Will Shanny rise to the occasion? Or tuck his tail and mope? We'll find out soon enough.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

• Ninersnation takes a look at a lot of the issues we've been discussing here.

https://www.ninersnation.com/2020/10/14 ... five-games

Witherspoon was healthy enough to play, but Shanahan refused to put him in the game. This “feud” dates back to 2018. Shanahan has gone out of his way to call out Witherspoon, oftentimes in front of teammates. Against the Dolphins, league spies said that Witherspoon was healthy enough to play, but Kyle wouldn’t let him go in. The “hamstring” was a cover up for Witherspoon being benched. It took Brian Allen getting torched in coverage for Shanahan to acknowledge putting Spoon in the game. Ahkello had to go to Saleh begging, pleading to go in the game, but Saleh had to get Shanahan’s approval. I’m not sure who the person is, but someone has to save Kyle from himself in these situations.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

• 94Smith wrote:I don't know, you don't need your coach to be a "leader" or a rah rah guy. New age athletes and vets kind of scoff at that. Look at Belicheck. You need your coach to put your team in the best position to win. Leadership should come from the veterans. We lost two in Staley and Buck and Sherman is on IR. That's three captains right there

You don't need to be rah rah to be a leader. Look at Belichick. Dude barely shows anything. However, you wouldn't think to question his leadership.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Belichek is the ultimate leader, much like Holmgren his leadership is during the week, how he handles the roster, and how he delegates to the coaches. The players don't want to talk to him, if it gets that far they probably will be on a waiver wire the next week or be off the active roster.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• So......you guys are quoting Ninernation and Lowell and Grant Cohn?

Yeah. Ok.

Moving on.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• Marvin49 wrote:So......you guys are quoting Ninernation and Lowell and Grant Cohn?

Yeah. Ok.

Moving on.

Classic Marv.

The 49ers approved writers list rears it's ugly head.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Maulbert wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:So......you guys are quoting Ninernation and Lowell and Grant Cohn?

Yeah. Ok.

Moving on.

Classic Marv.

Yup.

Ninernation are fans.

The Cohns made their entire careers off of being negative. They are collectively the Skip Bayless of the Bay Area.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• Marvin49 wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:So......you guys are quoting Ninernation and Lowell and Grant Cohn?

Yeah. Ok.

Moving on.

Classic Marv.

Yup.

Ninernation are fans.

The Cohns made their entire careers off of being negative. They are collectively the Skip Bayless of the Bay Area.

I remember Lowell off the Sporting Green where he used to have a top column in the 1980s I wasn't really a fan.

So Lowell eventually got another gig at Santa Rosa Press Democrat and when Harbs got the ax he went off on how Jeb got handed all his privileges while sliding down, in his words, "his mother's birth canal."

The PD pulled that pretty quickly and soon after that Lowell started posting about places that he liked to eat.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

• SantaClaraHawk wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:

Yeah. Ok.

Moving on.

Classic Marv.

Yup.

Ninernation are fans.

I remember Lowell off the Sporting Green where he used to have a top column in the 1980s I wasn't really a fan.

So Lowell eventually got another gig at Santa Rosa Press Democrat and when Harbs got the ax he went off on how Jeb got handed all his privileges while sliding down, in his words, "his mother's birth canal."

The PD pulled that pretty quickly and soon after that Lowell started posting about places that he liked to eat.

I HATED Lowell Cohn. Wasn't even his inaccurate takes either. Its his whiny voice and holier than thou attitude. You should hear Damon Bruce talk about him LOL.

It funny, people think I just don't like people who talk negatively about the 49ers. That's not it at all. I don't like people who sell a false narrative for clicks. That's it. They INTENTONALLY choose a take that's controversial. Has nothing to do with Journalism.

Damon Bruce on 95.7 has CRUSHED the Niners for years, PARTICULARLY on issues surrounding the stadium. He called them the "39ers" when they fired Harbaugh, criticising Jed for being Cheap. I don't always agree with him, but what he has NOT done tho is taken a position simply to get him attention. That's the Cohns in a nutshell. Peeps here make the comment about the "approved writers list", but from the VERY BEGINNING, the guys I've talked about like this were Tim Kawakami and the Cohns. That's it. I can tell you within a few seconds of reading an articly if it was one of the Cohns who wrote it. Tim has actually gotten better since being a part of the Athletic.

It also works the other way around. I can't stand Tim Ryan (49ers radio color guy) because he is SUCH a homer its painful.

The best guys are still the Matts...Maiocco and Barrows. Most often its just the facts and if there is any opinion, its typically not incendiary in either direction. Maiocco tho was pretty hard on the Niners after the Miami loss.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• As far as commentators Damon's one of the best on radio/TV. Certainly more interesting than Greg Papa or Laura Britt for example.

As far as print commentators, yeah the Matts. Kawakami was often derided in past years for taking sides for clicks but I found him journalistically sound. The Cohns are on an island there in Wine Country.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

• SantaClaraHawk wrote:As far as commentators Damon's one of the best on radio/TV. Certainly more interesting than Greg Papa or Laura Britt for example.

As far as print commentators, yeah the Matts. Kawakami was often derided in past years for taking sides for clicks but I found him journalistically sound. The Cohns are on an island there in Wine Country.

I'd say that's correct, particularly on Kawakami of late.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• Look, Brunskill was pretty good at tackle. And McG is looking like that's not his position of late.

Has McG played guard?

Should they just switch them?
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

• SantaClaraHawk wrote:Look, Brunskill was pretty good at tackle. And McG is looking like that's not his position of late.

Has McG played guard?

Should they just switch them?

McGlinchey played guard vs the Vikings in week 1 of his rookie year after they got ravaged by injures. He hadn't played the position since High School. It didn't go well.

I dunno. If things don't improve I'm sure they will look at some lineup changes. McGlinchey was playing really well toward the end of last year. Not sure what happened.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• I love the Cohn’s and Timmy K as they are usually correct. :lol:
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Sunday night is a must win for the Niners, and their offense will be almost fully healthy. Missing half their defense, but I think they will show up Sunday night. Their season is over if they lose this game with the upcoming schedule.

For the Rams, it's already our fourth road game and fourth in five weeks - those two factors combined, I get why the Rams are favored, but I think the Niners should win
    Ramfan128
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:48 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information