Clowney placed on IR before getting a sack

godawg

Reaction score
Using the retro-scope to look at the wisdom of not spending 14 or 15 million dollars on Jadeveon Clowney, it now appears that calls for Schneider's ouster were a bit harsh.

James in PA

Reaction score
The Titans would have been better off signing me. I would have played for the NFL minimum and could have produced the same # of sacks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JGreen79

Reaction score
To be fair, sacks aren't what he brings to his team. To measure his success using only sack numbers, undervalues his impact on the game.

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
JGreen79":3nfnoauk said:
To be fair, sacks aren't what he brings to his team. To measure his success using only sack numbers, undervalues his impact on the game.

I believe that he only has 6 QB hits as well

W

Welshers

A good but flawed way to evaluate a guys disruptive impact when he isn't getting sacks is to look at PFF. Again, I know it's not a perfect system and people have problems with it. Clowney's PFF is 74.9, which is good, but probably not good enough to warrant the money he demanded. Good call by Schneider.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
He generates consistent pressure and is elite in the run game.

He isn't worth his salary, sure, but he certainly isn't a bad player. Not sure why so many here root for his failure.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":3qcht7pt said:
Some bitter, bitter hawk fans.
Not really because most of us were pissed at his attitude that
he wouldn't take less than $18-20 million per and then we
looked at his stats and saw one great game.
Then most of us did not want to overpay the hype he has.
Bitter?No we are happy to see the correct move was made
and we got Dunlap who has made the line better than JC
ever did.

PNW

Reaction score
IndyHawk":128he224 said:
Shanegotyou11":128he224 said:
Some bitter, bitter hawk fans.
Not really because most of us were pissed at his attitude that
he wouldn't take less than $18-20 million per and then we
looked at his stats and saw one great game.
Then most of us did not want to overpay the hype he has.
Bitter?No we are happy to see the correct move was made
and we got Dunlap who has made the line better than JC
ever did.
Nailed it!!! Also I will add, Clowney jerking the Hawks around caused us to miss out on other FA DL. He kept acting like he was going to sign with us, he should have made it clear he didn’t want to be here. Reed took back his #90 hella fast haha glad he got paid for that and ended back with it :lol:

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Welshers":11nf26ck said:
A good but flawed way to evaluate a guys disruptive impact when he isn't getting sacks is to look at PFF. Again, I know it's not a perfect system and people have problems with it. Clowney's PFF is 74.9, which is good, but probably not good enough to warrant the money he demanded. Good call by Schneider.

Part of it was a good call by Schneider - not matching or beating the offer Clowney got from the Titans. But part of it was Schneider (and the Seahawks and fans of the Seahawks) dodging a bullet earlier (March) when Clowney supposedly turned down a multi-year deal at over $18M per year. I agree with those who have said Clowney's value doesn't show up in sacks or even QB hits for him. It's in things like him drawing double teams, thus creating opportunities for other defensive players, plus his contribution to stopping opponents' run games.

EDITED TO ADD:
After posting this comment, I saw that Maelstrom787 had already said basically the same thing about how Clowney's value shows up.
Still, my point is that even that doesn't make him worth what the Seahawks had supposedly offered him back in March, so we all got lucky when he turned it down. He's definitely not a bad player, but there's no way he's worth $18M+ per year.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
It is kind of funny to think back over how Schneider and Carroll were raked over the coals for not picking up certain players, then seeing what happened to those players. With the caveat that what happened elsewhere is not necessarily indicative of what would have happened here.

Jadaveon Clowney - IR
Everson Griffin - Traded away
Yannick Ngakoue - Traded away

Feel free to add

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Here's Clowney's contract--https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tennessee-titans/jadeveon-clowney-14410/

Had we and him started negotiating around the range that he's getting paid, maybe we would have kept him, but he wanted 18m-20m.

It's best that it didn't happen b/c of his mr glass situation after all.

kf3339

Reaction score
Clowney while good was just never elite to me. He was so insistent on getting top DE money that his act went old for a lot of fans and teams.

His value is in the $5-8M per year contract, with us perhaps going a little higher just to retain him. Personally, I'm glad they went in other directions because his waiting game was hurting our own team strategy. He will not see another contract even close to $10M per year at this point.

KinesProf

Reaction score
bigskydoc":1ba57jh9 said:
It is kind of funny to think back over how Schneider and Carroll were raked over the coals for not picking up certain players, then seeing what happened to those players. With the caveat that what happened elsewhere is not necessarily indicative of what would have happened here.

Jadaveon Clowney - IR
Everson Griffin - Traded away
Yannick Ngakoue - Traded away

Feel free to add

I'd add let's also be thankful that they didn't give that guaranteed money that Robert Quinn and Dante Fowler received.

The free agent edge class was littered with potential pitfalls, and the Hawks didn't do anything dumb that would impact them going further. They did get very lucky that Clowney didn't sign that multi-year deal they put on the table though.

Ogbah was the find of the free agent edge class.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":1zb1xzyx said:
He generates consistent pressure and is elite in the run game.

He isn't worth his salary, sure, but he certainly isn't a bad player. Not sure why so many here root for his failure.

Probably less about being bitter at Clowney and more about taking exception to the shots at the Hawks front office for not signing him.

OP
OP
godawg

godawg

Reaction score
I think Clowney is a great player and I wanted him to stay with the Hawks, but we should give props to Schneider for sticking to his plan. I also wanted to get Griffin, but obviously I don’t have as much information as Schneider, and it appears that his evaluations and approach to getting an edge rusher have paid off big time with Carlis Dunlap. Now that Taylor will soon be joining the D-line, we may end up with a pass rush to be reckoned with at an affordable price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

olyfan63

Reaction score
Schneider is a personnel ninja for passing on Clowney's demands and bringing in Carlos Dunlap. Salary cap, team chemistry, everything, Dunlap > Clowney, for the Seahawks, certainly.

Signing Clowney would have killed our ability to bring in other talent. We've already lost Bruce Irvin and his salary for the year.

Yup, can't wait to see what Darrell Taylor brings! I thought Griffen was a behavior risk, and a good "pass" from Schneider.