49ers to temporarily relocate: Updated, last 2 games in AZ

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Santa Clara waited until Stanford won the Big Game against Cal lol.

I've been a big fan of Santa Clara County's hard-nosed policy since early March but this is a little much IMV. The NFL total positivity rate is .035 percent. The 49ers have had maybe three true positives this whole season, all of whom have been isolated.

My guess is that the 9ers do their prep and practice at Oakland Coliseum, former home of the Raiders. It hasn't been torn down yet b/c the A's are still there, and because gentrification hasn't made "live work condos" there a thing yet.

Yes we the inner Bay are all in the "purple zone" now, which means we all have to shut down indoor dining and other things per the state. Guess what though, LA County and their precious SoFI never got out of the "purple" (worst) zone and their county still allowed games.

Alameda and specifically city of Oakland are hurting for money, so my money's on the 9ers going there vs to Arizona or Texas like what Maiocco says.

Threedee

Reaction score
Niner fans already hated the move to Santa Clara. Now to get disrespected on top of that.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
From Florio...

Via Ian Rapoport of NFL Media, State Farm Stadium in Glendale, Arizona has become “the most likely option” for the 49ers. Another option would be a stadium in Texas. An NFL stadium becomes critical to this equation because of the technology linking each stadium to the league office, allowing for real-time replay reviews. The quality of the playing surface also is an issue; at a time when not every NFL field is always up to snuff, plenty of non-NFL fields would be even worse.

The 49ers likely will set up a bubble wherever they go, especially since they won’t be able to practice in Santa Clara County between games. At this point, they should just head to a hotel close to wherever they will be practicing and playing, and they should stay there for the rest of the season.

The NFL Players Association likely will have a say in this, if players are informed that their job becomes, as a practical matter, a 24/7 proposition through the end of the season. Given that the alternative for players becomes not playing home games at all (and players not getting paid for them), the union likely will agree. If, however, these dramatically changed circumstances result in players being away from home for at least the next five weeks, players should get a chance to opt out for the balance of the season, giving up the balance of their salary but facing no penalties or punishment for walking away.

FireHawk79

Reaction score
Funny part is as I heard it on the local az sports radio Maricopa county has twice the covid cases per 100k people as Santa Clara does right now. So that makes sense lol

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
FireHawk79":315mzupg said:
Funny part is as I heard it on the local az sports radio Maricopa county has twice the covid cases per 100k people as Santa Clara does right now. So that makes sense lol
It all comes down to local governments and how they are or, are not dealing with the Covid situation.
I’ll stop there so this discussion doesn’t go down the political road.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
When you squeeze too hard, you lose your grip.

The 49ers could have to relocate practice and rehab to the Glendale area for at least a month, maybe until the end of their run.

Their sales taxes/hotel taxes will go to Maricopa County instead of where they live.

Emotionalism will erupt as a lot of players are new dads or dads of young children that they may be forced into not seeing for Christmas. If they live in Santa Clara County and leave for work, there's a 14-day quarantine if they come back, or for their families if they come to Arizona.

IDK how their income taxes will be treated if for a month plus they're not in California.

And finally, there are a lot more things open in Arizona to a greater extent.

All Santa Clara County did here was rip themselves off of needed revenue. After the 9ers year ends they'll be partying it up in Glendale like you can't here and then returning back here.

Madrid Hawk

Reaction score
24/7/365 my world view is f the niners.....but this is some BS right here.

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
This move bu SC officials shows a lot of contempt and lack of empathy for the players and their families. It is truly sad how it is so easy for governments dehumanize situations and make decisions with little regard for consequences outside of public perception.