Is Kyler Murray the real deal or just Kaepernick 2.0???

Tokadub

Reaction score
I'm not even trolling... I haven't seen enough of Kyler Murray yet...

I followed Kaepernick and Andrew Luck VERY closely and it was obvious that Russell Wilson was better in every way (it was up for debate at that time)…

So just curious what do you guys think of Kyler Murray?

Right now I think he's better than Kaepernick but he's gonna fizzle out... that's my first impression.

He might have at least a couple statistically amazing seasons but... at the end of the day is he Kaepernick 2.0? Or is he someone we have to worry about for years to come...

He's already better than Kaepernick ever was in my opinion... the question is will he continue to improve or is this his best?

Zap90

Reaction score
2 different style of QB”s

Kapeenick was mostly a running QB andMurray is a pocket passing QB. With Kaoeenicks limited time he had never threw 3500 yards in a season. I believe that Kapernick was one of the fastest qbs playing, in the league and his throwing was mediocre/average. I believe he panned out by taking so much hits. At the end of his career he always looked scared and threw the ball away more often

Zap90

Reaction score
Also what zona needs to do is to get a better O- line.

getnasty

Reaction score
Murray throws the ball way to good to be compared to Kap.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Kaep was an incredible runner and had a cannon for an arm. His problem, imo, was his decision making and accuracy. Having all that physical talent doesn't always equate to being a great QB.
Kyler should have a much better career imo.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1emh3nmd said:
Kaep was an incredible runner and had a cannon for an arm. His problem, imo, was his decision making and accuracy. Having all that physical talent doesn't always equate to being a great QB.
Kyler should have a much better career imo.

I dont think they are comparable players, in terms of abilities. But their career paths may be the same. Murray is a far better passer than Kaep was. Once defenses sorted out the gimmicks, Kaep struggled with consistency.

However, without getting into too much of it, Kaep should still be an NFL QB.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1r7nyh7k said:
I bet the Bronco's could have used Kaep yesterday

Very much so, although he could not have played for them (would need to quarantine).

I'd imagine Kaep is better than most backups right now, and probably a few starters.

I think Murray is more of a Wilson and Mahomes type, where Kaep was more Vick/Lamar Jackson.

sutz

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1f927nzz said:
SoulfishHawk":1f927nzz said:

Very much so, although he could not have played for them (would need to quarantine).

I'd imagine Kaep is better than most backups right now, and probably a few starters.

I think Murray is more of a Wilson and Mahomes type, where Kaep was more Vick/Lamar Jackson.
I actually disagree. When we contained him in the pocket for the most part, Murray was much less effective. JMO, of course, and time will tell, but we kind of laid out a blueprint for neutralizing Murray. Much like a lot of "mobile QBs" coming out of college, he seems to not be as effective as a passer and struggle if you mute his running game.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
sutz":z81fte0b said:
Uncle Si":z81fte0b said:
SoulfishHawk":z81fte0b said:

I actually disagree. When we contained him in the pocket for the most part, Murray was much less effective. JMO, of course, and time will tell, but we kind of laid out a blueprint for neutralizing Murray. Much like a lot of "mobile QBs" coming out of college, he seems to not be as effective as a passer and struggle if you mute his running game.

Im not saying he's as good as Wilson or Mahomes... but he's in the same mold.

pinksheets

Reaction score
I'm no Xs and Os, tape watching type, but I'm not buying on Kyler. That's my gut feeling. He's a dynamic athlete and will cause problems, but he's not a great passer. We see athletic QBs who aren't the strongest passers come in, cause mayhem, and then fall back to earth in a season or two (Lamar this year - though he's more of a freak than Kyler, Vick, even Tebow to a much smaller extent - though he's way below these other guys).

I know he's not that much shorter than Russ, too, but he seems SO much shorter on the field to me.

I might be wrong, but I take solace in the belief that we're the only team in the division with a legit "THE guy" franchise QB.

I'd take Kyler over what the Rams and 9ers have, though, without a doubt.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Zap90":2jcawl03 said:

Kapeenick was mostly a running QB andMurray is a pocket passing QB. With Kaoeenicks limited time he had never threw 3500 yards in a season. I believe that Kapernick was one of the fastest qbs playing, in the league and his throwing was mediocre/average. I believe he panned out by taking so much hits. At the end of his career he always looked scared and threw the ball away more often

Kaepernick had great arm strength. He had no touch.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Maulbert":3t2uj7ep said:
Zap90":3t2uj7ep said:

His touch on "the tip" play was perfect, wouldn't you say? 8)

It's true, though. Murray has yet to dish us interceptions as consistently as Kaep.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Uncle Si":10kqb2u2 said:
sutz":10kqb2u2 said:
Uncle Si":10kqb2u2 said:
SoulfishHawk":10kqb2u2 said:

Im not saying he's as good as Wilson or Mahomes... but he's in the same mold.

Kyler Murray is the real deal. Yes, he has games where he has struggled, just as Russell did at times in his first couple years, and still does at times. All QBs struggle with pressure in their faces, compared to without pressure. You'd struggle too with Aaron Donald bearing down on you and ready to rip your limbs off. It's not a unique feature of Kyler Murray.

Murray seems to be a very hard worker, effective leader, again, in the Wilson-Mahomes-Brady kind of mold. He seems to have a very high football IQ, much higher than say, Kaepernick, but he is only a 2nd year guy, so has less experience.

IMO, even if Murray were to lose *some* mobility, he would still be an effective NFL QB, because of his arm talent and his smarts. His current amazing mobility and escape-ability and running ability make him a top 10 or better NFL QB.

Murray will continue to grow (not in height) as an NFL QB and keep improving. If the Cards can put a good roster around him while he's on his rookie contract, they have a definite window of SB opportunity, just like the 2013-2014 Hawks with Russell on his rookie contract, where the Hawks went to two SBs and won one.

OP
OP
Tokadub

Tokadub

Reaction score
getnasty":1e9l4gib said:
Murray throws the ball way to good to be compared to Kap.

Yeah, I think that's true... that's the main reason I think he's already better. I'm just wondering if he can continue to do this so well (Like Wilson has) even when other teams have so much more film to study to scheme vs him.

I think Kaepernick was just really bad under pressure, he folded in the pocket. So far it seems Murray is much better evading pressure and still reading the field... but like I said I haven't seen enough of him yet.

I do respect Murray though which I always had a bit of hard time with for Kaepernick to be honest. I just always saw throws from Kaepernick that weren't well thought out, or didn't have the right touch... he just didn't seem to have the consistency in any way that I would want from a QB... Murray I can't tell yet so it will be interesting to watch :snack:

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Maulbert":hik98y2y said:
Zap90":hik98y2y said:

I agree. Lamar, to me, is Kap 2.0. Lamar is more dangerous runner (quicker-more elusive). Kap had top end speed like Lamar, but it was straight line speed. Lamar has a lateral quickness that Kap doesn't/didn't. Both of them suffer from the strong arm, no touch disease. Nothing can fix that ailment. Lamar will continue to fade. Kap got cut short by the kneeling thing, but he wasn't long for the league anyway. Murray is light years ahead as a passer compared to both of them. His problem is protection. If they can give him enough time, he'll be around and solid for years to come. If they can't, he'll slide back like any other QB that can't hack it in the league without a consistently clean pocket.

TypeSly

Reaction score
I'm not completely sold on Kyler or Lamar yet. There's been a lot of these type of "Option QB's" that shine for a year or two, and then the league figures them out. Examples: RG3, Tebow, Mariota etc.

Threedee

Reaction score
Murray injured his shoulder early in the game against us. That basically is why AZ just lost to NE, as he wasn't able to fully recover yet.

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
Threedee":m6xhkip0 said:
Murray injured his shoulder early in the game against us. That basically is why AZ just lost to NE, as he wasn't able to fully recover yet.

This is a critical aspect no one has mentioned though and not a positive for Murray if that is what the loss is to be lamed on. Wilson has unreal (Cal Ripken-esque) durability and even when he has been injured has been able to still take the field and lead his team to victory. I suspect Murray's body won't hold up to the sacks over time, but we'll see.

sutz

Reaction score
Milehighhawk":1vd6sba1 said:
Threedee":1vd6sba1 said:

This is a critical aspect no one has mentioned though and not a positive for Murray if that is what the loss is to be lamed on. Wilson has unreal (Cal Ripken-esque) durability and even when he has been injured has been able to still take the field and lead his team to victory. I suspect Murray's body won't hold up to the sacks over time, but we'll see.
Good point. Murray is shorter than Russ, but also is rather more slight of frame as well. Kind of like Doug Flutie, built more like a WR. Russ is short, but if you look at him he's pretty muscular, too. Russ is stocky and apparently built to handle the pounding more. Tyler, not so much.