What in the heck is going on with extra point conversions?!

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Every week it’s like a plague across the league. Kickers missing extra points. It’s beyond baffling to me. Anyone else noticing how prevalent it is and any ideas why?

diver110

Reaction score
They are harder now, but it is surprising how often even good kickers miss. The Bill’s kicker missed two last night.

James in PA

Reaction score
I hated it when they moved the extra point attempt back and still do. You just scored a TD. You deserve an almost automatic tie breaker over having to kick field goals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Threedee

Reaction score
James in PA":15ivsi7z said:
I hated it when they moved the extra point attempt back and still do. You just scored a TD. You deserve an almost automatic tie breaker over having to kick field goals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the best compromises of the past thirty years in the NFL. The alternative was to eliminate the single point PAT and just count every TD as 7 points.

sutz

Reaction score
I think it's hilarious. Brings into focus that every point counts. When all the other scoring methods involve 3 or more points, that silly EP can come back to bite you late in the game sometimes. I find the new rule interesting and kind of fun.

Kind of like the Giants game, take nothing for granted.

:twisted:

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Threedee":w0tzjhec said:
One of the best compromises of the past thirty years in the NFL. The alternative was to eliminate the single point PAT and just count every TD as 7 points.

Sorry but sign me up. I think that's precisely what they should do. Get rid of the stupid extra point all together. Every TD is 7 points and be done with it.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
I would say it was one of the most effective rule changes the NFL has made. Now with the increases difficulty it makes coaches take the option of kicking or going for 2 serious. Especially in games were weather is a major factor the missed extra point has made for some great finishes to games that might of been just out of reach. The make % went from a perennial 99% to just above 93%, it has altered many games. Couldn’t find the stats but I would think that blocked XP’s have gone up which is always fun...except against us

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Flyingsquad23":22m4jmdj said:
I would say it was one of the most effective rule changes the NFL has made. Now with the increases difficulty it makes coaches take the option of kicking or going for 2 serious. Especially in games were weather is a major factor the missed extra point has made for some great finishes to games that might of been just out of reach. The make % went from a perennial 99% to just above 93%, it has altered many games. Couldn’t find the stats but I would think that blocked XP’s have gone up which is always fun...except against us

agreed.. if you want to make a TD automatically worth 7, then what's the point of the two point conversion?

I also think that the matter of focus on an XP, even from further, is probably smaller than a field goal. Only thing I could think of.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Aros":1qswm31l said:
Threedee":1qswm31l said:

Sorry but sign me up. I think that's precisely what they should do. Get rid of the stupid extra point all together. Every TD is 7 points and be done with it.

If they were going to just make them 7 they could just as easily make them 6 and eliminate the extra point. Overall, it's the same thing. Only changes the final score of the game.

Personally, I think they should be allowed to kick it from the same spot that they go for two. Make it more interesting as teams won't know if you are going to kick the EP or go for two.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":uiqvxm89 said:
Aros":uiqvxm89 said:
Threedee":uiqvxm89 said:

If they were going to just make them 7 they could just as easily make them 6 and eliminate the extra point. Overall, it's the same thing. Only changes the final score of the game.

Personally, I think they should be allowed to kick it from the same spot that they go for two. Make it more interesting as teams won't know if you are going to kick the EP or go for two.
I like this idea but force them to try for two..Kickers would only be needed
for fg's and kickoffs.

potatohead33

Reaction score
kidhawk":3vwap8cd said:
Aros":3vwap8cd said:
Threedee":3vwap8cd said:

Other than the fact your kickers are on the field

I think moving it back has been a great rule. It should not be an automatic point.

kidhawk

Reaction score
potatohead33":2azxqjno said:
kidhawk":2azxqjno said:
Aros":2azxqjno said:
Threedee":2azxqjno said:

Other than the fact your kickers are on the field

I think moving it back has been a great rule. It should not be an automatic point.

If a team can go for a first down by faking a field goal attempt, then why not go for two the same way? The only time it wouldn't be possibly a trick is if you send your qb out. I think that's a safe bet you aren't kicking

rcaido

Reaction score
One of the few changes i like. The NFL should change the safety to 4 points.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I would make all TDs 7 points and you can then go for a 1 point conversion (from the 2 or 3 yard or whatever) to make it 8 points. Kickers can still be used for kickoffs and field goals.

And while I have my wish list out, I would absolutely make everything challengeable. No, this would not slow down the game because you would be given the same amount of challenges you have now. Same challenge rule system. I seriously do not understand why this can't happen. There's tons of terrible calls over the years that you are helpless to do anything about them because "it's not challengeable." Well why not? Everything should be in play. If it occurs on the field, it should be able to be challenged.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Aros":2sdgv4dz said:
Threedee":2sdgv4dz said:

Personally, I think it's added more strategy to the game. I like it.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
kidhawk":3lv60j8v said:
Aros":3lv60j8v said:
Threedee":3lv60j8v said:

No, not really, at all. you would just need to make 2 fg's to tie.. nope, gotta be 7.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Bobblehead":13uoqi8b said:
kidhawk":13uoqi8b said:
Aros":13uoqi8b said:
Threedee":13uoqi8b said:

No, not really, at all. you would just need to make 2 fg's to tie.. nope, gotta be 7.

True, I hadn't thought about that aspect of it. Still not a fan of giving the 7th point automatically.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Make a TD is worth 6, and not going for it gets you a free extra point. Going for the 2-point conversion is then a 2-point swing gamble.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
How about it stays as now BUT if you kick a 50 yard EP it counts for 2 and 1 for any closer distance.