"Only Pat Mahomes can make that Throw"

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
How many people have heard that being said about the TD pass to Hardman? I'm not downplaying Mahomes's throw. That was a fantastic play. However any other Hawk fans think "wait a minute" about the comment that only Mahomes can make that play? Didn't that look very similar to Russ hitting Lockett vs the Rams last year on Thurs night?

ivotuk

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":n132bd9v said:
How many people have heard that being said about the TD pass to Hardman? I'm not downplaying Mahomes's throw. That was a fantastic play. However any other Hawk fans think "wait a minute" about the comment that only Mahomes can make that play? Didn't that look very similar to Russ hitting Lockett vs the Rams last year on Thurs night?

The Russ to Lockett play was way more difficult. Tyler was leaning out over the boundary line, 2 toes tapping the end zone, and it was a TD.

There was a lot of room on Mahomes throw.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
ivotuk":x57fqhj7 said:
HawkRiderFan":x57fqhj7 said:

The Russ to Lockett play was way more difficult. Tyler was leaning out over the boundary line, 2 toes tapping the end zone, and it was a TD.

Yup, not to mention it was a way longer throw & way less room. Russ doesn't even make that throw every time but there are other QB's that are capable of making that throw too, just not every time.

I hate when they(talking heads) do stuff like this. Lots of QB's in the league can make that throw & that's not downplaying it because it was a very good pass.

They do this kinda stuff with Tiger too, acting like he's the only guy that can hit some of these shots. He's not even that great of a ball striker & never was. He won lots because he was by far the best putter & especially putting under pressure.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Every time I hear an announcer proclaim "Only Mahomes can make that throw" I always say..."Except for Wilson."

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Aros":3ieopgr6 said:
Every time I hear an announcer proclaim "Only Mahomes can make that throw" I always say..."Except for Wilson."

At this point we have been nothing short of spoiled by the career play of Wilson. We have seen the throws and so have the commentators. Those guys are so used to it that they don't even recognize it anymore and Mahomes is the flavor of the year.

I was thinking of another throw to Lockett, LATE in the 2018 KC game where Wilson threw a rainbow between the sideline and Lockett's shoulder. So few can do that so perfectly, it is typical RW.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I have no problem saying that Mahomes is the best QB in football. But the whole "Only Pat Mahomes can make that throw" thing is pretty stupid. Wilson and Erin both make ridiculous throws, and have many times over their career's.

potatohead33

Reaction score
Hockey Guy":14z983ht said:
ivotuk":14z983ht said:
HawkRiderFan":14z983ht said:

Yup, not to mention it was a way longer throw & way less room. Russ doesn't even make that throw every time but there are other QB's that are capable of making that throw too, just not every time.

I hate when they(talking heads) do stuff like this. Lots of QB's in the league can make that throw & that's not downplaying it because it was a very good pass.

They do this kinda stuff with Tiger too, acting like he's the only guy that can hit some of these shots. He's not even that great of a ball striker & never was. He won lots because he was by far the best putter & especially putting under pressure.

Tiger was the best at pretty much everything other than driving accuracy and bunker play, and even then in the late 90's/early 00's he was the best overall driver too. He started to lose some driving accuracy around 2003-2004 or so. He is the best iron player the world has ever seen, especially from the rough. While I'm not going to say nobody else could have hit some of those shots, it is absolutely true that 90% of the field wouldn't even have tried them in the first place.

The announcers in every sport always use hyperbole to describe things, I don't think that will ever change.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
potatohead33":1ppjmjkf said:
Hockey Guy":1ppjmjkf said:
ivotuk":1ppjmjkf said:
HawkRiderFan":1ppjmjkf said:

Tiger was the best at pretty much everything other than driving accuracy and bunker play, and even then in the late 90's/early 00's he was the best overall driver too. He started to lose some driving accuracy around 2003-2004 or so. He is the best iron player the world has ever seen, especially from the rough. While I'm not going to say nobody else could have hit some of those shots, it is absolutely true that 90% of the field wouldn't even have tried them in the first place.

The announcers in every sport always use hyperbole to describe things, I don't think that will ever change.

Thanks for that. That was needed. Not a golf forum, but that was way too wrong to be ignored.

El Caliente

Reaction score
That was a fun game. The Saints held Mahomes to a Carson Wentz level of efficiency and avg., yet not for a moment did he look like Carson Wentz. The kid is amazing, but that and still, I swear I have seen young Russell Wilson pull some of the same moves.

knownone

Reaction score
The whole Mahomes mythos is kind of obnoxious. He's a great QB, in a great system, with great talent around him. He's not doing anything that any other QB can't do or hasn't done before. He's basically a taller version of Russ with a stronger arm and less elusiveness.

Meanwhile, while the media is hyping Mahomes' physical ability, there is a true unicorn out there in Buffalo, who makes him look average in a number of ways. Seriously, Josh Allen is Cam Newton with more arm talent than Aaron Rodgers. He's the only person where you could legitimately say "Only X could do that".

TreeRon

Reaction score
"He is the best iron player the world has ever seen, especially from the rough."
Ben Hogan

sutz

Reaction score
Announcers say that kind of shit all the time. It's what they do. :229031_shrug:

diver110

Reaction score
It was a nice throw, but I would not call it utterly exceptional. There is probably a handful of other QBs that could have made it, RW, Rodgers, maybe Herbert.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
It is a little irritating that every time I catch any part of a KC game I hear that comment at least once and I think uggh, alrighty then, yeah sure. I do hear it during other games and Hawks games as well but just seems must be much more frequent with Mahomes. He is great but otherworldly????

Go Hawks!!!

IndyHawk

Reaction score
oregonhawkfan":n741bdbm said:
It is a little irritating that every time I catch any part of a KC game I hear that comment at least once and I think uggh, alrighty then, yeah sure. I do hear it during other games and Hawks games as well but just seems must be much more frequent with Mahomes. He is great but otherworldly????

Go Hawks!!!
You hear right..They slobber all over his jock,then the volume goes mute.
He's good @6:4 in height with all-pros everywhere in a Andy system how
can he not be?When his monster contract kicks in and as the cap goes
down we will see if he is great or if it's all an illusion and it's totally fair
Rw hasn't had near that much talent or system so if PM is so great the
dropoff shouldn't happen right?

CPHawk

Reaction score
Now they have to ad, only Mahomes, Wilson and Herbert

potatohead33

Reaction score
TreeRon":1fxx9hv7 said:
"He is the best iron player the world has ever seen, especially from the rough."
Ben Hogan

It's hard to compare eras. But no