Deshaun Watson

Threedee

Reaction score
Between the past few seasons and college, this is the first time he hasn't played well. That was one of the surprises for me this season.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Threedee":2x391bqy said:
Between the past few seasons and college, this is the first time he hasn't played well. That was one of the surprises for me this season.

Uh, what are you smoking? He was the only good thing about the Texans this year. He completed 70% of his passes, led the league in passing yards, had a 33:7 TD:Int ratio, and had a QB rating of 112.4.

KinesProf

Reaction score
Threedee":cvisn9ef said:

What didn't you like about his game this season?

I thought he was awesome.

Reaction score
I think he'll go to the Jets. Can work out a deal with the 2nd overall and still have a 1st rounder remaining.

uncle fester

Reaction score
Honest question: Can a cap-head explain the numbers to a doofus on this one?

I’m intrigued about Houston having to potentially offload a high-priced player but I don’t understand the two figures (yes I’ve googled it - I just don’t get the legal jargon/future cap fallout involved) that’ll probably be the major sticking points in a trade

Watson’s 2021 cap hit is $15,940,000.
His Dead Cap figure for 2021 is $67,140,000.

Does that mean Houston would have $67M less to spend on other players if they traded him, or $15? And what happens to the rest of the years on that contract? As it’s almost new, does the team acquiring him have to honour it? I know it can be split between the two teams (as was the case with Clowney’s year here) but it would seem a bad idea down the road for Houston - 2022 Cap Hit $40,400,00 and 2022 Dead Cap $51,200,000.

Wolfiegrrl

Reaction score
Hey there folks. I've watched the 'Hawks for years, but was a die hard Texans fan since 2002. Realizing over the last three years that team isn't going anywhere, I've decided to dedicate my love for the NFL through the Seattle Seahawks. Time for me to back up the 'home town team' as it were even though I'm down in Portland, OR.

As for DeShaun, man that guy is exciting! I found this article, sadly from a '9ers site, but it helps explain how things could get done to move him to another team. [urltargetblank]https://www.si.com/nfl/49ers/news/how-the-49ers-can-make-a-deshaun-watson-trade-work#:~:text=Initially%2C%20I%20was%20against%20the,%24160%20million%20extension%20in%20September.[/urltargetblank]

Any team in need of a QB would be nuts to miss out on the opportunity for this guy. I personally felt he would do amazingly in a WCO. I used to have dreams of "If Kubiak had this guy, the team would be killing it." But alas, that FO down there is just... stupid. They have no idea how to run a football franchise and they keep making the same mistakes.

Well, hope the article helps. And I'll see ya around. Time to go buy more Seahawks gear and drop this Texans crap off a the donation site.

renofox

Reaction score
uncle fester":yfzsr5xx said:

If traded (pre-6/1), the remainder of his signing bonus ($21.6M) and the remainder of his salary guarantees ($45.54M) totalling $67.14M are is accelerated into the 2021 cap. As it stands, his 2021 cap number is only $10.54M salary plus $5.4 pro-rated signing bonus totalling $15.94M. Therefore, a trade results in losing the player PLUS $51.2M $21.6M in cap.

The Texans are already ~$18M over the estimated cap. They are in OK shape as that number includes the the Top 51 of 55 players under contract, including several high-priced players with no dead cap hit that they can release/restructure to get under the cap (releasing JJ Watt would free up $17.5M, bringing them almost to even).

If they do end up trading Watson, they would end up being in a cap hell similar to what the Saints are facing having to release/restructure almost all of their higher paid players. Since restructuring requires the cooperation of the player, and many players are probably wanting out of that hell-hole anyway, they'd probably lose most/all of their top talent.

edit: discovered rule change in CBA a few years back - guaranteed salary can now be transferred to new team during trade.

uncle fester

Reaction score
renofox":3kt84t81 said:
uncle fester":3kt84t81 said:

If traded (pre-6/1), the remainder of his signing bonus ($21.6M) and the remainder of his salary guarantees ($45.54M) totalling $67.14M are accelerated into the 2021 cap. As it stands, his 2021 cap number is only $10.54M salary plus $5.4 pro-rated signing bonus totalling $15.94M. Therefore, a trade results in losing the player PLUS $51.2M in cap.

The Texans are already ~$18M over the estimated cap. They are in OK shape as that number includes the the Top 51 of 55 players under contract, including several high-priced players with no dead cap hit that they can release/restructure to get under the cap (releasing JJ Watt would free up $17.5M, bringing them almost to even).

If they do end up trading Watson, they would end up being in a cap hell similar to what the Saints are facing.

Thanks for the clarification, much appreciated.

Also, Wolfiegrrl - Welcome to Seahawks fandom and .Net! :D

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I think he ends up with Miami. The Dolphins have 2 picks in the first round (theirs and Houston's) and also Houston's 2nd round pick. Houston would probably want at least those or 1 of them plus another player in return. Or there's a probability that he stays with Houston but based on his comments, that doesn't seem likely.

94Smith

Reaction score
Call me crazy, but I do not want the 49ers to trade for Watson. The draft capital and possible players we would have to give up and then be saddled with a bloated contract does not make sense. I would prefer if the 49ers held put in the draft and picked a QB to back up either Jimmy or a cheaper game manager.

Boohman14

Reaction score
I think he'd be perfect for Chicago. He would give them a reliable QB with some chops. They would be a contender with Watson.

Carolina would also be a good fit. They would be a formidable team with Watson.

But I think Lynch in San Fran will actually land him . Garbonzo is not the answer for the 49ers and Lynch is an aggressive GM. I expect he will be doing whatever it takes.

Elemas

Reaction score
If anywhere, hopefully it's the Jets or Miami. I dont want to see this dude in SF.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
94Smith":5j3n48mg said:
Call me crazy, but I do not want the 49ers to trade for Watson. The draft capital and possible players we would have to give up and then be saddled with a bloated contract does not make sense. I would prefer if the 49ers held put in the draft and picked a QB to back up either Jimmy or a cheaper game manager.

You are crazy. I would be absolutely terrified if the Niners traded for Watson.

Marvin49

Reaction score
I'd LOVE to see him in SF, but I won't allow myself to entertain the notion as I just can't realistically see it happening.

Washington49er

Reaction score
Marvin49":25awg5px said:
I'd LOVE to see him in SF, but I won't allow myself to entertain the notion as I just can't realistically see it happening.

This^

JPatera76

Reaction score
Appyhawk":2b36a1m1 said:
I would gag if Watson went to the 9ers or Rams. Numbers aside, he is the one guy I would like to see at QB in Seattle if Russ were not here.

AGREEEEED

potatohead33

Reaction score
How does the Miami angle work? They just drafted Tua, can they trade him, or just make him a backup again? Seems he wouldn't want to do that.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Dark horse team:

New Orleans Saints

Perfect fit for the Saints.

If I’m Sean Payton, I’m trading all the picks needed to get Watson.

Watson with the proper organization and head coach, can win multiple championships.

Watson is that talented.