Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Deshaun Watson

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics. Ex-Seahawks fall into NFL topics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Deshaun Watson
Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:41 pm
  • Where does he land? Imo the niners would be nuts to not try and get this guy.
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Re: Deshaun Watson
Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:55 pm
  • Between the past few seasons and college, this is the first time he hasn't played well. That was one of the surprises for me this season.
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:47 pm
  • Threedee wrote:Between the past few seasons and college, this is the first time he hasn't played well. That was one of the surprises for me this season.

Uh, what are you smoking? He was the only good thing about the Texans this year. He completed 70% of his passes, led the league in passing yards, had a 33:7 TD:Int ratio, and had a QB rating of 112.4.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:24 am
  • Threedee wrote:Between the past few seasons and college, this is the first time he hasn't played well. That was one of the surprises for me this season.

What didn't you like about his game this season?

I thought he was awesome.
    KinesProf
    NET Rookie

Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:59 am
  • I think he'll go to the Jets. Can work out a deal with the 2nd overall and still have a 1st rounder remaining.
    Hawks 'n Nucks
    NET Practice Squad

Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:16 am
  • Honest question: Can a cap-head explain the numbers to a doofus on this one?

I’m intrigued about Houston having to potentially offload a high-priced player but I don’t understand the two figures (yes I’ve googled it - I just don’t get the legal jargon/future cap fallout involved) that’ll probably be the major sticking points in a trade

Watson’s 2021 cap hit is $15,940,000.
    His Dead Cap figure for 2021 is $67,140,000.

Does that mean Houston would have $67M less to spend on other players if they traded him, or $15? And what happens to the rest of the years on that contract? As it’s almost new, does the team acquiring him have to honour it? I know it can be split between the two teams (as was the case with Clowney’s year here) but it would seem a bad idea down the road for Houston - 2022 Cap Hit $40,400,00 and 2022 Dead Cap $51,200,000.
    uncle fester
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:11 am
  • Hey there folks. I've watched the 'Hawks for years, but was a die hard Texans fan since 2002. Realizing over the last three years that team isn't going anywhere, I've decided to dedicate my love for the NFL through the Seattle Seahawks. Time for me to back up the 'home town team' as it were even though I'm down in Portland, OR.

As for DeShaun, man that guy is exciting! I found this article, sadly from a '9ers site, but it helps explain how things could get done to move him to another team. https://www.si.com/nfl/49ers/news/how-the-49ers-can-make-a-deshaun-watson-trade-work#:~:text=Initially%2C%20I%20was%20against%20the,%24160%20million%20extension%20in%20September.

Any team in need of a QB would be nuts to miss out on the opportunity for this guy. I personally felt he would do amazingly in a WCO. I used to have dreams of "If Kubiak had this guy, the team would be killing it." But alas, that FO down there is just... stupid. They have no idea how to run a football franchise and they keep making the same mistakes.

Well, hope the article helps. And I'll see ya around. Time to go buy more Seahawks gear and drop this Texans crap off a the donation site.
    Wolfiegrrl
    NET Bench Warmer

Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:43 am
  • uncle fester wrote:Honest question: Can a cap-head explain the numbers to a doofus on this one?

If traded (pre-6/1), the remainder of his signing bonus ($21.6M) and the remainder of his salary guarantees ($45.54M) totalling $67.14M are is accelerated into the 2021 cap. As it stands, his 2021 cap number is only $10.54M salary plus $5.4 pro-rated signing bonus totalling $15.94M. Therefore, a trade results in losing the player PLUS $51.2M $21.6M in cap.

The Texans are already ~$18M over the estimated cap. They are in OK shape as that number includes the the Top 51 of 55 players under contract, including several high-priced players with no dead cap hit that they can release/restructure to get under the cap (releasing JJ Watt would free up $17.5M, bringing them almost to even).

If they do end up trading Watson, they would end up being in a cap hell similar to what the Saints are facing having to release/restructure almost all of their higher paid players. Since restructuring requires the cooperation of the player, and many players are probably wanting out of that hell-hole anyway, they'd probably lose most/all of their top talent.

edit: discovered rule change in CBA a few years back - guaranteed salary can now be transferred to new team during trade.
    Last edited by renofox on Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
    renofox
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:34 pm
  • renofox wrote:
    uncle fester wrote:Honest question: Can a cap-head explain the numbers to a doofus on this one?

If traded (pre-6/1), the remainder of his signing bonus ($21.6M) and the remainder of his salary guarantees ($45.54M) totalling $67.14M are accelerated into the 2021 cap. As it stands, his 2021 cap number is only $10.54M salary plus $5.4 pro-rated signing bonus totalling $15.94M. Therefore, a trade results in losing the player PLUS $51.2M in cap.

The Texans are already ~$18M over the estimated cap. They are in OK shape as that number includes the the Top 51 of 55 players under contract, including several high-priced players with no dead cap hit that they can release/restructure to get under the cap (releasing JJ Watt would free up $17.5M, bringing them almost to even).

If they do end up trading Watson, they would end up being in a cap hell similar to what the Saints are facing.

Thanks for the clarification, much appreciated.

Also, Wolfiegrrl - Welcome to Seahawks fandom and .Net! :D
    uncle fester
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:42 pm
  • I think he ends up with Miami. The Dolphins have 2 picks in the first round (theirs and Houston's) and also Houston's 2nd round pick. Houston would probably want at least those or 1 of them plus another player in return. Or there's a probability that he stays with Houston but based on his comments, that doesn't seem likely.
    hawkfan68
    Gold Supporter
    Gold Supporter

Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:04 am
  • Call me crazy, but I do not want the 49ers to trade for Watson. The draft capital and possible players we would have to give up and then be saddled with a bloated contract does not make sense. I would prefer if the 49ers held put in the draft and picked a QB to back up either Jimmy or a cheaper game manager.
    94Smith
    NET Starter

Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:05 pm
  • I think he'd be perfect for Chicago. He would give them a reliable QB with some chops. They would be a contender with Watson.

Carolina would also be a good fit. They would be a formidable team with Watson.

But I think Lynch in San Fran will actually land him . Garbonzo is not the answer for the 49ers and Lynch is an aggressive GM. I expect he will be doing whatever it takes.
    Boohman14
    NET Practice Squad

Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:10 pm
  • If anywhere, hopefully it's the Jets or Miami. I dont want to see this dude in SF.
    Elemas
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:04 am
  • 94Smith wrote:Call me crazy, but I do not want the 49ers to trade for Watson. The draft capital and possible players we would have to give up and then be saddled with a bloated contract does not make sense. I would prefer if the 49ers held put in the draft and picked a QB to back up either Jimmy or a cheaper game manager.

You are crazy. I would be absolutely terrified if the Niners traded for Watson.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:05 pm
  • I'd LOVE to see him in SF, but I won't allow myself to entertain the notion as I just can't realistically see it happening.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:22 pm
  • Marvin49 wrote:I'd LOVE to see him in SF, but I won't allow myself to entertain the notion as I just can't realistically see it happening.

This^
    Washington49er
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:33 am
  • I would gag if Watson went to the 9ers or Rams. Numbers aside, he is the one guy I would like to see at QB in Seattle if Russ were not here.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.

Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:17 pm
  • Appyhawk wrote:I would gag if Watson went to the 9ers or Rams. Numbers aside, he is the one guy I would like to see at QB in Seattle if Russ were not here.

AGREEEEED
    JPatera76
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:24 pm
  • How does the Miami angle work? They just drafted Tua, can they trade him, or just make him a backup again? Seems he wouldn't want to do that.
    potatohead33
    NET Practice Squad

Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:34 pm
  • Dark horse team:

New Orleans Saints

Perfect fit for the Saints.

If I’m Sean Payton, I’m trading all the picks needed to get Watson.

Watson with the proper organization and head coach, can win multiple championships.

Watson is that talented.
    TheLegendOfBoom
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:42 pm
  • TheLegendOfBoom wrote:Dark horse team:

New Orleans Saints

Watson with the proper organization and head coach, can win multiple championships.

Watson is that talented.

Problem with the Saints is the Salary cap. They are like 100 mil over.

I'd love it for 49ers and his cap hit vs Jimmy would actually GIVE them 17 mil under the cap, but they likely can't put together the draft capital other teams can AND he'd be losing money to CA state taxes. I gave you guys crap last year because I thought the picks were too much in the Adams trade. QBs are different.

Jets, they certainly have the capital and the draw of Saleh who he is rumored to like, but if he had issues with the Texans owner....

Dolphins seem to make the most sense. Draft capital, money, state taxes...

I want him in SF, but my money is on Miami.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
  • Marvin49 wrote:
    TheLegendOfBoom wrote:Dark horse team:

New Orleans Saints

Watson is that talented.

I'd love it for 49ers and his cap hit vs Jimmy would actually GIVE them 17 mil under the cap, but they likely can't put together the draft capital other teams can AND he'd be losing money to CA state taxes. I gave you guys crap last year because I thought the picks were too much in the Adams trade. QBs are different.

Jets, they certainly have the capital and the draw of Saleh who he is rumored to like, but if he had issues with the Texans owner....

I would say Miami as well but being a Tua fan I wouldn’t want Tua to land in that train wreck of a franchise that is the Houston Texans.

If New Orleans can get creative, and possibly dump some salary, getting Watson should be worth it.

From Brees to going to Watson is a fantastic successor.

Because Jameis is not the answer.

Watson and Sean Payton can be fantastic together.

Watson, a fantastic arm, mobile, by all accounts a great leader and person, 25 years old, supremely talented, who wouldn’t want to coach an offense with that??

New Orleans should go all in.

They have all the makings to continue to be NFC/SuperBowl contenders for the next 12 years or so with Watson (if healthy) as QB.
    TheLegendOfBoom
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:53 pm
  • TheLegendOfBoom wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    TheLegendOfBoom wrote:Dark horse team:

New Orleans Saints

Watson is that talented.

I would say Miami as well but being a Tua fan I wouldn’t want Tua to land in that train wreck of a franchise that is the Houston Texans.

If New Orleans can get creative, and possibly dump some salary, getting Watson should be worth it.

From Brees to going to Watson is a fantastic successor.

Because Jameis is not the answer.

Watson and Sean Payton can be fantastic together.

Watson, a fantastic arm, mobile, by all accounts a great leader and person, 25 years old, supremely talented, who wouldn’t want to coach an offense with that??

New Orleans should go all in.

They have all the makings to continue to be NFC/SuperBowl contenders for the next 12 years or so with Watson (if healthy) as QB.

I mean I'd agree that Watson would be ideal for them just as he'd be ideal for about 15 NFL teams. In SF, with Shanahan, and with Kittle, Samuel and Aiyuk. You add that not only can the WRs and TE take handoffs and run, but now the QB can too? Can you imagine the play action?

I can make these arguments for a number of NFL teams.

ALL of these teams should be "all in" for Watson. I just don't think the Saints are particularly better suited than a number of other teams and have a HUGE cap problem. This won't be just moving some stuff around. They are totally screwed right now. They were all in for Brees final year. I just don't see any way they get out of it. If they let Brees retire, get his money off the books and then trade for Watson, then they are still 70-80 million over, will have to cut half the team to get under, and then have no picks to replace them.

I just think the Saints are unrealistic. At least the Niners are currently under the cap, but I still think its gonna be Miami.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:12 pm
  • I don't think Watson is going anywhere. What is he going to do if he doesn't get his way? Sit out and lose $$$?
    WmHBonney
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:57 pm
  • A really low darkhorse (meaning slim chance) could be the Rams. Imagine Watson playing for an offensive minded HC like McVay. Rams would be unstoppable with Watson under center. However they probably would have to trade key defensive pieces to garner a trade for Watson. If this happens, Rams could finally find a way to rid themselves of Goff.
    hawkfan68
    Gold Supporter
    Gold Supporter

Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:56 pm
  • hawkfan68 wrote:A really low darkhorse (meaning slim chance) could be the Rams. Imagine Watson playing for an offensive minded HC like McVay. Rams would be unstoppable with Watson under center. However they probably would have to trade key defensive pieces to garner a trade for Watson. If this happens, Rams could finally find a way to rid themselves of Goff.

Rams will have huge cap hit for Goff and don't have the tradable resources for Watson.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:54 am
  • Marvin49 wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:A really low darkhorse (meaning slim chance) could be the Rams. Imagine Watson playing for an offensive minded HC like McVay. Rams would be unstoppable with Watson under center. However they probably would have to trade key defensive pieces to garner a trade for Watson. If this happens, Rams could finally find a way to rid themselves of Goff.

Rams will have huge cap hit for Goff and don't have the tradable resources for Watson.

Goff and Donald or Ramsey, you have to give to get. Or maybe Kupp. But I would think the Rams want to make cap room so high salary.

Not what the Seahawks or Cards and 49ers would like to see, but Donald out of the West may ease the pain.

Plus he is going on 8th year, that may also be a weight factor.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:33 pm
  • Marvin49 wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:A really low darkhorse (meaning slim chance) could be the Rams. Imagine Watson playing for an offensive minded HC like McVay. Rams would be unstoppable with Watson under center. However they probably would have to trade key defensive pieces to garner a trade for Watson. If this happens, Rams could finally find a way to rid themselves of Goff.

I think more likely going after Stafford which would still be an improvement.
    Washington49er
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:24 pm
  • Washington49er wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:

I don’t see Stafford as a huge improvement. But it’s clear that something is broken between McVay and Goff, so am fully expecting a change.

I wouldn’t mind Darnold. Watson is just too costly.
    RedAlice
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:50 pm
  • RedAlice wrote:
    Washington49er wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:

I don’t see Stafford as a huge improvement. But it’s clear that something is broken between McVay and Goff, so am fully expecting a change.

Sorry but Goff is crap, can't scramble, can't scramble and throw. Any pressure he folds.
    Washington49er
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:12 pm
  • Washington49er wrote:
    RedAlice wrote:
    Washington49er wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:

Sorry but Goff is crap, can't scramble, can't scramble and throw. Any pressure he folds.

Everyone is welcome to their opinion. :D

I’m over the Goff debate, having done it so much and weekly in chat every game this year.

I’m excited we may be getting a new QB. :irishdrinkers: I’m hoping for Darnold.
    RedAlice
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:33 pm
  • Washington49er wrote:
    RedAlice wrote:
    Washington49er wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:

True, but you also just described your very own Jimmy Glass.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:48 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    Washington49er wrote:
    RedAlice wrote:
    Washington49er wrote:

True, but you also just described your very own Jimmy Glass.

First did I say I was fan? Second yes he has some of the same issues but no where near as bad. I'd take Jimmy G over Goff any day.
    Washington49er
    NET Veteran

It is currently Sat May 15, 2021 8:28 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information