Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stafford traded to Rams for Goff and lots of draft picks

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics. Ex-Seahawks fall into NFL topics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
  • Patriots also inquiring. I'd have to think both teams would be trying to do whatever it takes.





    Last edited by Maelstrom787 on Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5872
    Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:38 pm
    Location: Delaware


  • Maelstrom787 wrote:Patriots also inquiring. I'd have to think both teams would be trying to do whatever it takes.







    Methinks it more likely that the Patriots will bite.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 9838
    Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:17 am


  • We don't need Stafford in the NFC West. Please Bill, take him.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]
     
    Posts: 15259
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:58 am
    Location: Just 4 miles from Richard Sherman!


  • Whoa wait a minute.... I’ve been told by many a Niner fans here and KS that Jimmy Glass was “the guy”.
    What gives?
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 36539
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


  • Sports Hernia wrote:Whoa wait a minute.... I’ve been told by many a Niner fans here and KS that Jimmy Glass was “the guy”.
    What gives?


    A lot of 49er fans think he's still the guy. The one season he was healthy, he did take them to a SB.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 9838
    Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:17 am


  • ^ that defense took them to the sb and Jimmy g ruined it for them. Niners need a qb desperately while they still have a window....although I think Stafford goes to 1 patriot place.
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 11180
    Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:20 am
    Location: BC Canada


  • Dallas also in the mix, talk of a big trade to make it happen, Dallas is desperate so not out of the question.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 37457
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • Why would the patriots want Stanford when Rodgers is available?
    Zap90
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 182
    Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:23 pm


  • At this point, I'd take Stafford over Wilson. Trade him!
    5thgen
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 70
    Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:25 pm


  • 5thgen wrote:At this point, I'd take Stafford over Wilson. Trade him!

    That’s just nutty.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 36539
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


  • 5thgen wrote:At this point, I'd take Stafford over Wilson. Trade him!


    And I'm sure you've based that on literally nothing. Congrats
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5872
    Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:38 pm
    Location: Delaware


  • Maelstrom787 wrote:
    5thgen wrote:At this point, I'd take Stafford over Wilson. Trade him!


    And I'm sure you've based that on literally nothing. Congrats


    Just a few eggs laid by Wilson the last few games.
    5thgen
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 70
    Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:25 pm


  • 5thgen wrote:
    Maelstrom787 wrote:
    5thgen wrote:At this point, I'd take Stafford over Wilson. Trade him!


    And I'm sure you've based that on literally nothing. Congrats


    Just a few eggs laid by Wilson the last few games.


    I'm sure replacing him with a quarterback that has never won anything and never demonstrated ability surpassing that of Wilson will fix everything
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5872
    Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:38 pm
    Location: Delaware


  • Stafford and #7 pick for Wilson? I don't think that is enough. I do think Stafford would be successful on a Pete Carroll run team and Stafford knows how to play with a WR like DK (Megatron).

    Stafford is due $30m per year next two years. Wison due $35m per year next two then $40m the following.
    Wenhawk
    .NET Owner
     
    Posts: 5400
    Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:38 am
    Location: Issaquah, WA


  • Maelstrom787 wrote:
    5thgen wrote:
    Maelstrom787 wrote:
    5thgen wrote:At this point, I'd take Stafford over Wilson. Trade him!


    And I'm sure you've based that on literally nothing. Congrats


    Just a few eggs laid by Wilson the last few games.


    I'm sure replacing him with a quarterback that has never won anything and never demonstrated ability surpassing that of Wilson will fix everything


    Good qb+bad system = Stafford
    5thgen
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 70
    Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:25 pm


  • 5thgen wrote:
    Maelstrom787 wrote:
    5thgen wrote:
    Maelstrom787 wrote:
    And I'm sure you've based that on literally nothing. Congrats


    Just a few eggs laid by Wilson the last few games.


    I'm sure replacing him with a quarterback that has never won anything and never demonstrated ability surpassing that of Wilson will fix everything


    Good qb+bad system = Stafford


    Stafford's been in several different systems throughout the years. His best full season in the league looks significantly worse than Russell's average season for the past 3 years.

    He ain't Russell, and there's no reason to believe he'd suddenly be better than Russell.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5872
    Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:38 pm
    Location: Delaware


  • I love the fact that you have both Rodgers and Stafford coming on the market in a year that the Rams can't afford to trade or cut Goff. :irishdrinkers:
    bigskydoc
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3040
    Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:27 am
    Location: Kalispell, MT


  • The idea that super star players have no say in where they are traded seems a little ridiculous to me, and Rodgers is the kind of guy to sit out just to get his way.

    My guess is that he will end up on the Niners. Garroppolo is gone. Whoever the Niners go with, it won't be Jimmy G. No, the Pack won't want to trade him there. They will want to go with either Denver or the Pats. Rodgers will refuse to go to either of those dumpster fire teams. and will return to California, and to what he has long viewed as his rightful place, the starter for the Niners.

    Stafford probably ends up with the Colts.
    bigskydoc
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3040
    Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:27 am
    Location: Kalispell, MT


  • 49ers say they're not looking at Stafford
    Washington49er
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3273
    Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:54 pm


  • Washington49er wrote:49ers say they're not looking at Stafford

    lets hope they are fine with Jimmy G...I know I am...
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 11180
    Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:20 am
    Location: BC Canada


  • What would suck for the Seahawks and the Cards ?

    Rams getting Watson and 49ers getting Stafford or Rodgers.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 37457
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • Rappaport reporting Stafford is now a Ram. Goff will be a lion. Rams just got way better.
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 11180
    Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:20 am
    Location: BC Canada





  • Sweet lord. That's a ton to give up for a guy in his thirties.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5872
    Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:38 pm
    Location: Delaware


  • ^ sure is but the rams window to win is fading fast. They will never go anywhere with Goff. 2 losses for the hawks next year
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 11180
    Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:20 am
    Location: BC Canada


  • Maelstrom787 wrote:

    Sweet lord. That's a ton to give up for a guy in his thirties.


    You have to wonder what Watson is gonna command? To me i think just getting rid of Goff and the contract is a good more for the Rams. Win win for both sides.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5473
    Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:22 pm


  • 5thgen wrote:At this point, I'd take Stafford over Wilson. Trade him!


    Lol. The end.
    hawker84
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5115
    Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:22 pm
    Location: Tri Cities, WA


  • Jesus....that is an absurd haul for the Lions. Good for them.... NFC West is loaded man.

    Hilarious how much McVay hates Goff. I'd watch purely out of fantasy interest this past year and the moment the Rams had a comfortable lead, McVay would take the ball out of his hands. Just steady dose of running and field position so he wouldn't throw a boneheaded pick into double coverage. Whenever they had to pick up the pace to score, McVay would stand there looking so confused after some of the things Goff would do.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5927
    Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:54 pm


  • You would get 4 number 1's for Russ today.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5473
    Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:22 pm


  • KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *
     
    Posts: 7662
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:09 pm
    Location: Kitsap County


  • mistaowen wrote:Jesus....that is an absurd haul for the Lions. Good for them.... NFC West is loaded man.

    Hilarious how much McVay hates Goff. I'd watch purely out of fantasy interest this past year and the moment the Rams had a comfortable lead, McVay would take the ball out of his hands. Just steady dose of running and field position so he wouldn't throw a boneheaded pick into double coverage. Whenever they had to pick up the pace to score, McVay would stand there looking so confused after some of the things Goff would do.


    When you think about taking on that contract the haul isn't quite as good. If they truly believe Goff is their long term starter then yeah good for them.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5473
    Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:22 pm


  • Stafford makes the Rams better, but I'm honestly rather unfazed by this.

    If Watson stays out of the NFC West, I'll feel just fine about our chances to take the division again.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3199
    Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:47 pm
    Location: Seattle


  • Wentz and Goff...1 and 2 in their draft both underwhelming players.
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 11180
    Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:20 am
    Location: BC Canada


  • Stafford will have a running game and a line, he a quick thinker and reads fast, something that Goff was not good at, the quick passing game and reading a receiver before he is open will be a problem for everyone now.

    This is a chance for Stafford to show why he was drafted so high finally, he doesn't have to win every game by himself anymore, he runs better then people realize, won't be a Wilson or a Watson, but not a sitting duck either.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 37457
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • A new veteran QB In a new and sophisticated offense with most likely no OTA’s and an complete overhaul in the offensive coaching staff doesn’t sound like a winning combination. Unless of course you are Tom Brady, and let’s be serious Stafford is no where near that level. The Rams simply needed to cut bait and lose that contract.

    Laughable that 5thgen thinks Stafford is better than Russ, literally nothing supports that thought.
    Flyingsquad23
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 731
    Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:47 pm


  • getnasty wrote:You would get 4 number 1's for Russ today.

    I would do that today.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *
     
    Posts: 6773
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:42 pm
    Location: Grand Rapids, MI


  • We can’t be upset our division rivals are making moves.

    They are contenders.

    Stafford does make them better.

    A proven pocket deep ball passer.

    Seahawks have their work cut out for them.
    TheLegendOfBoom
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 2049
    Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:12 pm
    Location: Westcoastin’


  • I think many of you guys underrate Stafford. Matt Stafford is a clutch QB that was in a very bad situation. He's a tough as nails QB with grit. Did you know Matthew Stafford has almost as many 4th quarter comebacks as Wilson since 2012? He's the anti Goff in that he's extremely good when the game is on the line. If he stays healthy, Stafford is going to be a huge problem for us. At his best he played near an MVP level. He also has one of the best deep balls and arms in the league. He has the potential to be extremely scary paired with someone like McVay. If Goff looked competent under McVay, I shutter to see what Stafford is going to do.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3815
    Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:31 am


  • Flyingsquad23 wrote:A new veteran QB In a new and sophisticated offense with most likely no OTA’s and an complete overhaul in the offensive coaching staff doesn’t sound like a winning combination. Unless of course you are Tom Brady, and let’s be serious Stafford is no where near that level. The Rams simply needed to cut bait and lose that contract.

    Laughable that 5thgen thinks Stafford is better than Russ, literally nothing supports that thought.


    I think they have a system now that will be used for OTA's and off season training based on what they learned this season.

    I also think the league will adopt a lot of what the Seahawks did this season for Covid protocols, we had almost no incidence and those that arose were false positives.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 37457
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • Think of Jim Plunkett with the Patriots then going to the Raiders, difference is Plunket's arm was at 50 or 60 percent of what it was as a Starter in New England, Stafford's is much closer to 100 percent.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 37457
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • No matter what some on this thread are saying, this is nothing but bad news for us. The Rams were only a true quality QB away from winning the whole thing, and now they have that QB.
    kf3339
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter
     
    Posts: 3625
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:52 pm


  • Hell yes!!

    Man other Rams fans are weirdly attached to Goff. You guys have more RW doubters here than I've seen Rams fans doubting Goff. Some next level group think on my Rams forum.

    Don't care about first round picks - we've drafted well without them so far in the McVay era and we usually get a few comp picks every year
    Ramfan128
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1143
    Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:46 pm


  • Ramfan128 wrote:Hell yes!!

    Man other Rams fans are weirdly attached to Goff. You guys have more RW doubters here than I've seen Rams fans doubting Goff. Some next level group think on my Rams forum.

    Don't care about first round picks - we've drafted well without them so far in the McVay era and we usually get a few comp picks every year


    Lol. You have a waaayyyy different group of Rams fan friends than I do. Every bad game this season was immediately hate on Goff in game day chat.

    Alright, Staffords our guy now. At least we didn’t have to spend a lot of time wondering.

    :irishdrinkers:

    And as to comp picks - we have two 3rd rounders this year from losing Holmes to the Lions (who knew just how much impact that would have. Lol)
    RedAlice
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3686
    Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:47 pm
    Location: Dallas, Texas


  • getnasty wrote:You would get 4 number 1's for Russ today.

    No..We are stuck with old glory
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6197
    Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:42 pm


  • This is one of the worst trades I've ever seen in my life.

    The Rams literally gave up two firsts, a third, and their starting QB for an older QB with a lower career QB rating who hasn't won a playoff game in 12 years.

    I'm rolling on the floor laughing over this idiotic trade.
    Fox0r
    * NET News Scoop *
     
    Posts: 1953
    Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:30 pm
    Location: Lynnwood, WA


  • The Rams already traded two 1st rounders for Jalen Ramsey. They will have no 1st round picks for a long time. They will also eat a crap ton of proration from Goff's contract. Again, proving the salary cap is a myth. You can always move money around.

    This is an amazing trade for the Rams. The Rams were the best team in the NFL last year, not factoring in QB.

    They have it all, a smart coaching staff, #1 Defense, Top 5 O-Line, very strong at the skill positions. Now they have a QB who is fringe top 10. The only question I have with Stafford is health. If he can stay healthy, I'd make the Rams the favorites to come out of the NFC.

    Unlike the Seahawks who mortgaged the farm last year for a Safety, LOL. The Rams were actually 1 player away, and now they have him.
    Fade
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3511
    Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:26 am
    Location: Truth Ray


  • Rat wrote:
    getnasty wrote:You would get 4 number 1's for Russ today.

    I would do that today.


    In all likelihood, the team would be dramatically worse if this trade were made, but hey - at least they get to... probably win Bleacher Report's draft grades or something
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5872
    Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:38 pm
    Location: Delaware


  • Fade wrote:The Rams already traded two 1st rounders for Jalen Ramsey. They will have no 1st round picks for a long time. They will also eat a crap ton of proration from Goff's contract. Again, proving the salary cap is a myth. You can always move money around.

    This is an amazing trade for the Rams. The Rams were the best team in the NFL last year, not factoring in QB.

    They have it all, a smart coaching staff, #1 Defense, Top 5 O-Line, very strong at the skill positions. Now they have a QB who is fringe top 10. The only question I have with Stafford is health. If he can stay healthy, I'd make the Rams the favorites to come out of the NFC.

    Unlike the Seahawks who mortgaged the farm last year for a Safety, LOL. The Rams were actually 1 player away, and now they have him.


    There was literally almost no difference between Stafford and Goff's output last year and Goff has a higher QB rating over the course of his career than Matt Stafford. Where do you get this magical idea they're suddenly going to turn the corner with the same QB production? Not to mention, they crapped on their future by investing in a QB who is passing his prime quickly.
    Fox0r
    * NET News Scoop *
     
    Posts: 1953
    Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:30 pm
    Location: Lynnwood, WA


  • Fox0r wrote:
    Fade wrote:The Rams already traded two 1st rounders for Jalen Ramsey. They will have no 1st round picks for a long time. They will also eat a crap ton of proration from Goff's contract. Again, proving the salary cap is a myth. You can always move money around.

    This is an amazing trade for the Rams. The Rams were the best team in the NFL last year, not factoring in QB.

    They have it all, a smart coaching staff, #1 Defense, Top 5 O-Line, very strong at the skill positions. Now they have a QB who is fringe top 10. The only question I have with Stafford is health. If he can stay healthy, I'd make the Rams the favorites to come out of the NFC.

    Unlike the Seahawks who mortgaged the farm last year for a Safety, LOL. The Rams were actually 1 player away, and now they have him.


    There was literally almost no difference between Stafford and Goff's output last year and Goff has a higher QB rating over the course of his career than Matt Stafford. Where do you get this magical idea they're suddenly going to turn the corner with the same QB production? Not to mention, they crapped on their future by investing in a QB who is passing his prime quickly.


    This is lacking a ton of context. Goff's limitations are clear, and its apparent that Goff has played in a very QB friendly scheme his whole career.

    For instance, lets look at their Average Intended Air Yards per pass. Goff is the 4th lowest in the league at 6.6 IAY. Stafford is one of the highest, at 9 IAY. For reference, Russell "Deep Passes Only" Wilson is at 8.6 IAY on the year. This matches the eye test - Stafford's numbers come on harder passes, and he remains as efficient (or more efficient, even) than Goff, who plays in a scheme that takes the pressure off the QB, closely related to Shanahan's (Jimmy G 6.2 IAY, Mullens 6.6 IAY).

    It's clear to me than Stafford is going to be both able to run the current scheme they have as good as or better than Goff, while also adding the deep passing skillset he possesses that Goff simply doesn't.

    Stafford also outclasses Goff in both EPA and QBR (which is heavily based on EPA), both stats better indicators of overall QB play than passer rating.

    Diving into the most recent stats they have, here's a graph illustrating their place on an efficiency plot measuring EPA/play and Completion % over expected.



    Stafford, on a failing team with a lame duck front office known purely for their ineptitude, still outclasses Goff.

    Stafford is easily the better quarterback, and keep in mind, they're not paying all of this just for Stafford, they're also paying to get rid of Goff and his untenable cap burden. The real criticism is that they extended Goff to begin with.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5872
    Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:38 pm
    Location: Delaware


  • chris98251 wrote:Stafford will have a running game and a line, he a quick thinker and reads fast, something that Goff was not good at, the quick passing game and reading a receiver before he is open will be a problem for everyone now.

    This is a chance for Stafford to show why he was drafted so high finally, he doesn't have to win every game by himself anymore, he runs better then people realize, won't be a Wilson or a Watson, but not a sitting duck either.



    He wasn't even that good at Georgia, look at his records
    Ambrose83
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1679
    Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:54 pm


Next


It is currently Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:18 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 62 guests