Did Tom Brady start QB exodus trend?

Mizak

Reaction score
We saw what happened. Left the Patriots, signed with Bucs, and now Super Bowl Champion again with his new team. Do you guys think with some of these QB’s leaving their former team that they’re take their new team to the playoffs and possibly to the Super Bowl? Stafford, Goff, maybe Wentz, maybe Watson, maybe Rodgers, maybe Wilson, etc.

pinksheets

Reaction score
It's hard to say, but he, whether intentional or not, set an example. I'm not sure if Brady was singlehandedly trying to move on, as it seemed like that was mutual between him and Belichik, but either way, he's drawn a template showing established QBs can jump to teams in better shape to go for gold, not dissimilar to how star players in the NBA control their destiny.

chris98251

Reaction score
Peyton did. Just took a bit for someone else to take the second step.

knownone

Reaction score
No. This seems pretty normal. I don't think Watson or Wilson will be traded, and guys like Stafford moving have happened consistently for years. Wentz and Goff are just below average QBs with name recognition.

I think we're seeing a diffusion in QB talent, league-wide. The NFL has made it easier to play QB, so guys who 10 years ago would be considered franchise QBs are now expendable.

Marvin49

Reaction score
I mean if you really wanna go back you can start with John Elway, Jeff George, or Eli Manning for refusing to ever sign with the teams that drafted them.

I disagree with the previous poster RE Watson as I think he eventually gets traded, but I agree about Wilson. He ain't goin' anywhere. I'm not that lucky. :)

However, if you wanna use this as reason 1,345,952 for hating Tom Brady, I'm OK with that too. :)

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":12z2yfag said:
I mean if you really wanna go back you can start with John Elway, Jeff George, or Eli Manning for refusing to ever sign with the teams that drafted them.

I disagree with the previous poster RE Watson as I think he eventually gets traded, but I agree about Wilson. He ain't goin' anywhere. I'm not that lucky. :)

However, if you wanna use this as reason 1,345,952 for hating Tom Brady, I'm OK with that too. :)

Russ isn't going anywhere for 2021, but for 2022 we'll see. And I think the same thing about Jimmy G.

Fade

Reaction score
Franchise QBs are not going to accept substandard roster building around them going forward that is for sure. Stafford had enough in DET. Wentz refused to play for the Eagles going forward. And Brady was frustrated by the lack of weapons he had in NE. Watson wants out of that train-wreck of an organization. Rodgers has been chirping for years.

So whether Brady literally started it or not is moot. The new trend is here.

Build properly around your QB or he will demand a trade, or in Brady's case not re-sign.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Marvin49":3koc48m5 said:

I was thinking 1,345,953 myself. But I am kinda wierd like that.

To the OP,

If the receiving team only has a need of a qb, this trend may be growing if there are quality qbs available that want to go ring bearing. Seems all we needed was a qb to make our team available for that accursed ring. Instead of going for another teams qb or poaching off their practice squad or backup, we took the plunge and went after a short guy in the 3rd round. It will probably be if that is the only thing that makes the team SB potential that will be the driving factor.

Party on Dudes. :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers:

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
Fade":3pjyfqst said:
Franchise QBs are not going to accept substandard roster building around them going forward that is for sure. Stafford had enough in DET. Wentz refused to play for the Eagles going forward. And Brady was frustrated by the lack of weapons he had in NE. Watson wants out of that train-wreck of an organization. Rodgers has been chirping for years.

So whether Brady literally started it or not is moot. The new trend is here.

Build properly around your QB or he will demand a trade, or in Brady's case not re-sign.
Russell is clearly taking this to heart too.