Still Don't Understand

hawks85

Reaction score
I just don't understand when the offense was good the first 6-7 weeks, and the D was terrible. Then the D got really good and the offense was terrible, I don't understand the transition from that. It makes no sense whatsoever. Why couldn't they keep that offense going along with the D getting good. It's like Petey boy made a choice. Matter of fact, I think Petey boy did make a choice for whatever reason. I feel like Schotty was sabotaged.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Nope, nope, and nope.

Schotty quite simply did not make proper adjustments once defenses figured out what the Seahawks O was doing. Once cover 2 / two high safeties were employed, 7 dropping back, it was game over for our game plan. We never adjusted. Russ kept looking for the deep ball and that takes time, which we of course didn't have so he was taking tons of sacks. It was painfully obvious to the point that we the fans knew what was wrong yet they wouldn't adjust.

The wild card game was a joke. A clear example of a failed system where there was clearly a lack of intuitive game planning for an opponent, and lack of adjusting to what the defense was doing. Hence Schotty lost his job as he should have. It was shameful.

The D improved exponentially but the offense was setup to fail given the lack of solid coaching and adjustments.

getnasty

Reaction score
The offense started playing defenses that were actually good

The offense was never gonna keep that pace

The defense started playing QB's that were not good

The defense was never gonna keep that place

Adams got healthy and Dunlap was a big help

There's no question they scaled back the offense not only to help the defense that was getting shredded but also because they lost 3 games in a 4 game strech and Russ was turning the ball over at an alarming rate.

Let Russ Cook went 6-3
Pete Ball went 6-2

Hawaii-hawk

Reaction score
Aros":3mowg1xr said:
Nope, nope, and nope.

Schotty quite simply did not make proper adjustments once defenses figured out what the Seahawks O was doing. Once cover 2 / two high safeties were employed, 7 dropping back, it was game over for our game plan. We never adjusted. Russ kept looking for the deep ball and that takes time, which we of course didn't have so he was taking tons of sacks. It was painfully obvious to the point that we the fans knew what was wrong yet they wouldn't adjust.

The wild card game was a joke. A clear example of a failed system where there was clearly a lack of intuitive game planning for an opponent, and lack of adjusting to what the defense was doing. Hence Schotty lost his job as he should have. It was shameful.

The D improved exponentially but the offense was setup to fail given the lack of solid coaching and adjustments.

So PC just stood there for 10 games watching it all and didn’t do anything about it? He just lets his coaches run all over him?

sounds like you’re showing how petes completely incompetent in a totally different way. A head coach that can’t influence the offensive game plan for an entire season should not be head coach

OP
OP
H

hawks85

Reaction score
getnasty":2mr1bslf said:

There's no question they scaled back the offense not only to help the defense that was getting shredded but also because they lost 3 games in a 4 game strech and Russ was turning the ball over at an alarming rate.

Let Russ Cook went 6-3
Pete Ball went 6-2

That was the other point I forgot to mention. Wilson turning that ball over WAY to much. I like Wilson, but I'm not a die hard Wilson fan. If Wilson gets traded, I wouldn't care one bit. Wilson won't thrive in that kinda of offense for a long period of time unless he changes the way he play's. Meaning get the ball out quick instead of running around in the backfield like a chicken with it;s head cut off. Maybe the new OC will help, but I don't know.

5thgen

Reaction score
hawks85":1oe4c8jo said:
getnasty":1oe4c8jo said:

Let Russ Cook went 6-3
Pete Ball went 6-2

That was the other point I forgot to mention. Wilson turning that ball over WAY to much. I like Wilson, but I'm not a die hard Wilson fan. If Wilson gets traded, I wouldn't care one bit. Wilson won't thrive in that kinda of offense for a long period of time unless he changes the way he play's. Meaning get the ball out quick instead of running around in the backfield like a chicken with it;s head cut off. Maybe the new OC will help, but I don't know.

He's too short to do quick releases. It seems he's good when they roll him out of the pocket and then throws.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
hawks85":31tpsaj0 said:
getnasty":31tpsaj0 said:

Let Russ Cook went 6-3
Pete Ball went 6-2

He can thrive in that kind of offensive philosophy. They just need to move the chains. They were terrible on third down all year, and terrible at making said third downs manageable to begin with.

That can be remedied with either a rushing game or a different passing attack.

I love Wilson. He's a special quarterback. Let Russ Cook is a totally valid movement, they just did it wrong this time around and it was never sustainable with the lack of success in keeping the offense consistently on schedule.

It's also pretty impossible for the defense to perform with so many failed conversions on offense.

If they fix third down, almost all of the problems the 2020 team ran into will vanish. Poof. I think Pete knows that, too - and Waldron and Dickerson are just about the best hires that were available to install what I like to call a "train station" offense. Continually moving, and largely on schedule.

xray

Reaction score
Blame it on the schedule .

HawkinNY

Reaction score
hawks85":l9ao7hdu said:
getnasty":l9ao7hdu said:

Let Russ Cook went 6-3
Pete Ball went 6-2

He has to have trouble seeing over the lineman at times. Guess we shall see what happens this year. Can’t wait to see who he blames this year for his second half collapse. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IndyHawk

Reaction score
When Russ used to have more speed and quicker reaction time
he could create gold out of shit.
He could sandlot and off script his way out of stuff like 2-cover.
He made time for it to happen but he's not able to do it nearly
enough to scare defenses anymore.
Father time has his legs weighted down and he doesn't really
know any other way...I hope he buys into doing things that
move the ball around like the Rams did because that's going
to require new habits.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I think the murder's row of

C.J. Beathard
Jared Goff
Dwayne Haskins
Sam Darnold
Colt McCoy
Carson Wentz
gimpy Kyler Murray

had at least a little something to do with it.

So did Dunlap. And Jordan Brooks. And figuring out a better rotation set up front.

hawk45

Reaction score
Aros":1ulhpbc4 said:
Nope, nope, and nope.

Name any game and I can show, even with broadcast footage, hitches, curls, digs open over the middle, many times that Russ looked at and passed on.

Schotty adjusted with short routes, the tape shows it. Where he failed was continuing to scheme short routes Russ won’t use, instead of running the ball more which is another way to defeat 2 high. That’s why schotty was fired. He and Russ wanted the answer to be passing their way out of it and wouldn’t acknowledge Russ’s deficiencies in that area of the route tree.

Guarantee schotty not agreeing with Pete’s correct assessment of the above got him canned.

chrispy

Reaction score
... seems like there's really no possible way for us fans/outsiders to pin this down. Looking from the outside, there may be different (or, realistically, a combination of) reasons. All we can do is speculate....

For my two cents: It seems like we want to blame RW or Shotty or PC completely. Realistically, it's a combination, right? No one can profess to know if Shotty didn't adjust or if he did, but RW just couldn't change his focus/play mid-season. ...or Shotty didn't adjust because the staff saw, during practices, more downside to doing so. ... or didn't have faith that Russ could adjust mid-season.

We all know RW has always been a preparation robot. He's had a few other things going on in his life the last couple off-seasons, but I think we all believe he's still putting in more time/prep than 99% of other starting QBs. We also know, when he was younger, his most memorable plays were a result of abandoning his pre-snap plan... abandoning his prepared play. It seems like a paradox that couldn't co-exist forever. I don't know, just speculation, but this seems like it could be a factor. If RW spends the off-season with a "Let Russ Cook" mentality and practicing/preparing more downfield plays, how does he get out of that mentality mid-season? ... or does Shotty believe it would be too detrimental to push him out of that mentality?

Of course, none of that has anything to do with the Defense. That's probably more interesting, just because you could see players making plays they missed early in the season. I think it's normal for a team to get better/play better together as the season progresses. The D did just that. The Offense just seemed to hit re-set in the middle and have to start gel-ing again.

Again, my two cents. We'll all know more when RW adds "author" to his list of non-football activities... maybe in 15 years or maybe in January...???