Clowney signs with the Browns

hawks85

Reaction score
Well, I'm shocked Clowney is still available despite having a bad year with the Titans. I thought for sure someone would have signed him by now.

sutz

Reaction score
I think Clowney has been officially tagged with the "over rated" label. :229031_shrug:

OP
OP
H

hawks85

Reaction score
Yeah, I was saying the same thing when he wanted 20 mil a year. Clowney is living off that 1st round pick status...STILL

rjdriver

Reaction score
hawks85":1fydypyp said:
Yeah, I was saying the same thing when he wanted 20 mil a year. Clowney is living off that 1st round pick status...STILL

More specifically, his 2013 tackle against MIchigan in the outback bowl may be the most lucrative tackle in football history.

toffee

Reaction score
Assuming as same price as Dunbar, would you guys like to add Clowney to our DL?

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

sutz

Reaction score
toffee":2ztbe2iq said:
Assuming as same price as Dunbar, would you guys like to add Clowney to our DL?

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk
If you're talking either/or I'd take Dunbar. YMMV.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Dunbar is Cary Williams 2.0. No thanks. I rather they let Ryan Neal/Tre Flowers just take that spot or find a way to bring back Sherman. Anyone but Dunbar.

rcaido

Reaction score
i dont get the fascination of Dumbar...He was horrible last season. I was really hype for him but he played equally bad as Flowers...

If you can sign Dumbar for 2.1 million then cut Flowers...If not, then keep Flowers.

Cloweny would be awesome to pickup

Seanhawk

Reaction score
rjdriver":2v9ondoi said:
hawks85":2v9ondoi said:

More specifically, his 2013 tackle against MIchigan in the outback bowl may be the most lucrative tackle in football history.

Yep, he's a good player, but he's never lived up to the hype of that one play.

knownone

Reaction score
The biggest question mark surrounding Clowney is his desire to play football. That's the only reason he didn't get a major payday last offseason, and why he's still unsigned. The problem is he keeps reinforcing that narrative by holding out for more money and not showing up until the season starts.

I would argue that Clowney has lived up to the hype. He is every bit as disruptive in the backfield as Aaron Donald or Myles Garrett, but unlike those guys, he's not going to get 10 plus sacks. He's an average pass rusher. While he may not be a elite sack artist, teams have invested big money in those types of players in the past. Michael Bennett would be a prime example of that.

I honestly think if he resigned with Seattle and put up a season comparable to his 2019 season, he would've got a massive payday this season. Instead, he's sort of in purgatory because no one thinks he actually wants to play football. They think he just wants to get paid.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I agree with knownone. Further, b/c of the reasons he stated, I don't really see Clowney being signed until injuries pile up and some team is desperate.

Clowney has a significant injury history; with us it happened after the first SF game in 2019. Guy did some good things after that but was never THAT kind of presence afterward, and that was a much better year for him than 2020.

OP
OP
H

hawks85

Reaction score
knownone":2h2yrjrj said:
The biggest question mark surrounding Clowney is his desire to play football. That's the only reason he didn't get a major payday last offseason, and why he's still unsigned. The problem is he keeps reinforcing that narrative by holding out for more money and not showing up until the season starts.

I would argue that Clowney has lived up to the hype. He is every bit as disruptive in the backfield as Aaron Donald or Myles Garrett, but unlike those guys, he's not going to get 10 plus sacks. He's an average pass rusher. While he may not be a elite sack artist, teams have invested big money in those types of players in the past. Michael Bennett would be a prime example of that.

I honestly think if he resigned with Seattle and put up a season comparable to his 2019 season, he would've got a massive payday this season. Instead, he's sort of in purgatory because no one thinks he actually wants to play football. They think he just wants to get paid.

I agree 100 percent. Where do you think he will sign? I said the Ravens a few months ago, and I think I'm gonna stick with that. I highly doubt Seattle signs him at this point, but who knows, it could still happen.

A-Dog

Reaction score
It comes down to $$$

If Clowney costs marginally more than bringing back KJ, then Seattle should 100% go after Clowney, if he's willing to not wait until the season is about to start to sign

Own The West

Reaction score
Clowney kind of looks like those "million dollar talent, ten cent head" kind of players. He's an amazing athlete, but if his initial move doesn't work he doesn't have the tools to salvage the play. And once he's beat, he stays beat.

He's getting old enough that nobody's going to pay for potential anymore. The lightbulb hasn't gone on, so you're not going to write a fat check to a guy that is famine or feast on any given Sunday.

sdog1981

Reaction score
hawks85":2kjlizsw said:
Msfann":2kjlizsw said:
He signed with the browns. 1 year 8-10 million.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/0 ... rrett.html?

If this guy doesn't make a splash this season with that D-Line in Cleveland, then I'm labeling him a bust. No more excuses Clowney. You are on one hell of a talented D-Line.

The dude IS a bust. Drafted first overall over Khalil Mack and Aaron Donald. Then played third fiddle to Watt and Mercilus in Houston.