Da Bears—Haha

Elemas

Reaction score
Traded 20 for 11 to grab Fields. The Giants received Chicago's first-round (No. 20) and fifth-round picks this year, and the Bears' first- and fourth-rounders next year.

I’m an OSU fan (live in Dayton) and this is a terrible move. Kipper is crazy too. If you’re coughing up an additional first, I would’ve aimed higher. Perhaps they did???

They certainly have a need and must take what they can but I predict their bad luck continues.

Smellyman

Reaction score
I think Fields is the best of the bunch.

However, the only thing worse for a QB going to the Jets is going to the Bears

Threedee

Reaction score
Elemas":1943taio said:
Traded 20 for 11 to grab Fields. The Giants received Chicago's first-round (No. 20) and fifth-round picks this year, and the Bears' first- and fourth-rounders next year.

I’m an OSU fan (live in Dayton) and this is a terrible move. Kipper is crazy too. If you’re coughing up an additional first, I would’ve aimed higher. Perhaps they did???

They certainly have a need and must take what they can but I predict their bad luck continues.

The Da Bears have been a solid roster without a QB since stupidly drafting Trubisky. Fields may be undersized, but, he showed his ability to throw deep bombs downfield during the college postseason. He just needs to stay healthy.

OP
OP
E

Elemas

Reaction score
I know they didn’t have much choice. Best player that fit their #1 need. Just seems like a lot to give up. They were pigeonholed and didn’t have much of a choice.

Maybe it’s my lack of faith in the kid.

They had to do it. Bad post...

FresnoHawk52

Reaction score
I like Fields at #11 a lot more than Wilson at #2 and Lance at #3. I don’t like Wilson in New York City and I don’t like the price SF paid to move up. Sam Darnold is a good QB Jets blew it!
As for SF & Fields it will depend on SF’s ability to groom him, I believe Fields has the talent & character but I question if Shanahan can develop a QB.

jmahon316

Reaction score
You guys obviously don't pay attention to the Buckeyes in College Football or their history of quarterbacks.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
FresnoHawk68":gpn1ppb4 said:
As for SF & Fields it will depend on SF’s ability to groom him, I believe Fields has the talent & character but I question if Shanahan can develop a QB.

There are a lot of unknowns related to the draft, but I am certain Shanahan and SF are going to do a piss poor job of grooming and developing Justin Fields. I will take any bet on that.

Optimus25

Reaction score
What just baffles me and annoys me is that if you read the espn article, apparently at some point the coach talked with Andy Dalton Thursday and assured him and the public that he’s the starting qb.

How idiotic and moronic is that statement?

If i were Nagy I’d call Andy and say ‘clocks ticking Red Rocket. Crap or get off the pot’

I would let fields know as well. Best player is starting, come to practice Ready to compete or I’ll be starting a ginger backup over you every day and twice on Sunday.

Reaction score
Seanhawk":1sol005m said:
FresnoHawk68":1sol005m said:

There are a lot of unknowns related to the draft, but I am certain Shanahan and SF are going to do a piss poor job of grooming and developing Justin Fields. I will take any bet on that.

Agreed! I would bet Justin Fields is not even on the 49ers roster after the cuts down to the 53 man roster.

I'm excited about Lance. I think he went to the perfect situation. Let him sit behind Jimmy G for the year, work on his consistency and learn the complex offense without pressure of starting immediately. Plus Shanahan runs a heavy play-action system that Lance already has a TON of experience with.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
QuickLightning":3a75b1ln said:
Seanhawk":3a75b1ln said:
FresnoHawk68":3a75b1ln said:

Agreed! I would bet Justin Fields is not even on the 49ers roster after the cuts down to the 53 man roster.

I'm excited about Lance. I think he went to the perfect situation. Let him sit behind Jimmy G for the year, work on his consistency and learn the complex offense without pressure of starting immediately. Plus Shanahan runs a heavy play-action system that Lance already has a TON of experience with.

As a Hawks fan I'm THRILLED the niners chose Lance, and the fact they gave up the farm to get him,,,even better.

Can't teach accuracy, either you have it by now or you don't. This year reminds me of the Jake Locker, Blane Gabbert, Christian Ponder draft.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
QuickLightning":2rhaye0m said:
Seanhawk":2rhaye0m said:
FresnoHawk68":2rhaye0m said:

You're excited about Lance? Are you a Niners fan? Because as a Hawk fan, the only way I'd be excited about him is if I thought he would be shitty.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
jmahon316":2d5o62gx said:
You guys obviously don't pay attention to the Buckeyes in College Football or their history of quarterbacks.

Exactly. Name one OSU QB that went on to have NFL success as a qb. They all look like superstars in college but never pan out in the NFL. I don't know why. Scheme? OSU's history of stellar WRs? Who knows? Plus, this kid couldn't beat out Jake Fromm at Georgia? Bears could have taken Mac Jones. He isn't as athletic as Fields but I think he is a better QB.

jmahon316

Reaction score
WmHBonney":2m2shjac said:
jmahon316":2m2shjac said:

Exactly. Name one OSU QB that went on to have NFL success as a qb. They all look like superstars in college but never pan out in the NFL. I don't know why. Scheme? OSU's history of stellar WRs? Who knows? Plus, this kid couldn't beat out Jake Fromm at Georgia? Bears could have taken Mac Jones. He isn't as athletic as Fields but I think he is a better QB.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who sees beyond college hype in Ohio State QB's. Every single time, it's "THEY WILL BE ELITE" and every single time, we're left disappointed.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
WmHBonney":3vurplba said:
jmahon316":3vurplba said:

You're seriously bagging on OSU QBs as a predictor of Fields' success, but then you say they could have taken Mac Jones? Name an Alabama QB that's been worth a shit in the NFL.

jmahon316

Reaction score
Seanhawk":mzaz46ok said:
WmHBonney":mzaz46ok said:
jmahon316":mzaz46ok said:

You're seriously bagging on OSU QBs as a predictor of Fields' success, but then you say they could have taken Mac Jones? Name an Alabama QB that's been worth a $h!t in the NFL.

I agree with you, but I also think Mac Jones is just as trash as Justin Fields and neither one has what it takes to make it in the NFL. I'll eat crow when either one proves me wrong.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Seanhawk":7zyn58ek said:
WmHBonney":7zyn58ek said:
jmahon316":7zyn58ek said:

You're seriously bagging on OSU QBs as a predictor of Fields' success, but then you say they could have taken Mac Jones? Name an Alabama QB that's been worth a $h!t in the NFL.

I agree with you and its definitely been awhile but - Richard Todd, The Snake, Namath, and Starr.

94Smith

Reaction score
FresnoHawk68":2eh9p8so said:
but I question if Shanahan can develop a QB.

Why?

Robert Griffin was offensive rookie of the year and led the Redskins to the playoffs until he tore his knee up. The other rookie they drafted that year Kirk Cousins turned out pretty good. Johnny Manziel screwed his life up due to partying. Hoyer had his best years ever in Cleveland. Matt Ryan was MVP under him. Garoppolo took the team to the Super Bowl. Beathard just isn't talented. Mullens was an UDFA, what do you expect?

I think this is a wishful take rather than anything based in fact

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Seanhawk":2pzj2kcl said:
WmHBonney":2pzj2kcl said:
jmahon316":2pzj2kcl said:

Let's see....who did Belechick pick in the first round? When was the last time Belechick picked a QB in the first round? I like Jones' chances.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
WmHBonney":9hvclt7n said:
Seanhawk":9hvclt7n said:
WmHBonney":9hvclt7n said:
jmahon316":9hvclt7n said:

Let's see....who did Belechick pick in the first round? When was the last time Belechick picked a QB in the first round? I like Jones' chances.

But when was the last time the Bears picked a successful QB in the first round? You couple that with no Alabama QBs in the last 35 years being worth a damn, Jones would be sure to bust had the Bears taken him using all this ridiculous logic.

Somos doces

Reaction score
Seanhawk":m4dc76h9 said:
... But when was the last time the Bears picked a successful QB in the first round? You couple that with no Alabama QBs in the last 35 years being worth a damn, Jones would be sure to bust had the Bears taken him using all this ridiculous logic.
What effect does any of this history have on this specific pick?