Mac Jones

ivotuk

Reaction score
Not buying it. Total click bait headline. It's mini camp for crying out loud.

It's like those headlines; Person X BLASTS the Organization!

As you read further, "Person X said he wasn't real happy with organization's response"

That said, I think he could become a pretty good QB. Especially with "Joshy Boy" as his OC. Give him his college playbook for his first season, then build off of that.

I think he's going to have a good completion percentage, decent TD to INT ratio, but a low YPA, due to dink and dunk sex. Errrr, I mean football.

Marvin49

Reaction score
So...

...I find it difficult to comment without it sounding a certain way given that his name was tied to the 49ers for a Month (and I never bought it), but my reaction is pretty much this...

...of course they like him. LOL. Its "we got our guy" season in the NFL.

No slander against Mac. I never hated him, I just didn't want to give up 3 1s for him. I'm sure he's a swell guy.

NE is a team who looking for the next Tom Brady. Its a 1st round QB. The Hype will be deafening. Same is happening now with Lance in SF. The dude is a genius. Had you heard? Made all his line calls and he's just a great human being. That doesn't mean none of it is true RE Mac or Lance or anyone else, but the media attention has everything turned up to 11.

I remember in 95' when the 49ers traded up to 10 for JJ Stokes. The headline next day was "Instant Rice".

Not so much.

OP
OP
TAB420

TAB420

Reaction score
Marvin49":8l4xw3og said:
So...

...I find it difficult to comment without it sounding a certain way given that his name was tied to the 49ers for a Month (and I never bought it), but my reaction is pretty much this...

No slander against Mac. I never hated him, I just didn't want to give up 3 1s for him. I'm sure he's a swell guy.

NE is a team who looking for the next Tom Brady. Its a 1st round QB. The Hype will be deafening. Same is happening now with Lance in SF. The dude is a genius. Had you heard? Made all his line calls and he's just a great human being. That doesn't mean none of it is true RE Mac or Lance or anyone else, but the media attention has everything turned up to 11.

I remember in 95' when the 49ers traded up to 10 for JJ Stokes. The headline next day was "Instant Rice".

Not so much.
You wouldn't have had to. He was there at #12. In fact, you actually would of had your pick of two of the three top QB's left. I think the two QB's that would have fell to you at #12 would have been Lance and Mac. That being said, I still think the Bears make the trade and still pick Fields.

Marvin49

Reaction score
TAB420":17gd5qxn said:
Marvin49":17gd5qxn said:
So...

Not so much.
You wouldn't have had to. He was there at #12. In fact, you actually would of had your pick of two of the three top QB's left. I think the two QB's that would have fell to you at #12 would have been Lance and Mac. That being said, I still think the Bears make the trade and still pick Fields.

ok...

1) Of course they wouldn't have had to move up to #3 for Jones. He went at #15. LOL. The point I was making was that myself and so many Niner fans hated Mac Jones soooo much wasn't because we thought he had no chance of being any good, it was because we didn't want to see our team trade three 1's to get him. Its why many of us NEVER thought it was Jones. The national media was SOOOOO sure it was Jones.

2) There is no way to know this for sure, but IMO there is no way in hell they'd have gotten Lance at #12. There was a ton of talk about teams trading up into the top 10 for a QB and that talk ended when Lance went at 3. There was noise about the Falcons taking a QB at 4 (tho after watching their draft video, I think Pitts was their guy all along). There was talk about the Panthers taking a QB. Benjamin Albright who is a writer in Denver said that the only QB that Denver was looking at with their top 10 pick went at 3.

Again, there is no way to know for sure, but I think several teams in the top 10 had Lance ranked behind only Lawrence and Wilson.

I have no idea which of these QBs will be any good so I'm not making any proclamations, but my original point was that we are in the season where all teams are thrilled with their picks and they "got their guy". We won't know a damn thing until the pads go on and even then it'll likely be years before any judgement can be made.

OP
OP
TAB420

TAB420

Reaction score
So who do you see picking Lance before #12? If Miami stays at #3 I still see them picking a WR. And no one else made a move for fields until #11. That tells me that it was very likely that Mac and Lance(maybe fields if Chicago picked Lance at #11) would have been there at #12. Everything I read from Da Bears had them salivating over Fields weeks/months before the draft. I think they still pick Fields at #11 even if Lance is still on the board. But at the end of the day no one knows what might have gone down. Just like no one knows if using 3 first round picks for a player (who has never played pro ball) was a smart move or cpmplete reach.

Marvin49

Reaction score
TAB420":232ji8yq said:
So who do you see picking Lance before #12? If Miami stays at #3 I still see them picking a WR. And no one else made a move for fields until #11. That tells me that it was very likely that Mac and Lance(maybe fields if Chicago picked Lance at #11) would have been there at #12. Everything I read from Da Bears had them salivating over Fields weeks/months before the draft. I think they still pick Fields at #11 even if Lance is still on the board. But at the end of the day no one knows what might have gone down. Just like no one knows if using 3 first round picks for a player (who has never played pro ball) was a smart move or cpmplete reach.

....um...I JUST gave you three teams.

Atlanta, Carolina, and Denver...or teams looking to move up into those spots. There was also a ton of talk about NE and NO moving up (tho I think NO was looking to move up for a CB) and I'm sure there were more. Lynch/Shanahan said that they had investigated going to 4, 5, and 6 but found that the easiest move was to 3 and it ensured they'd get their guy. Those other teams were less interested in moving down.

You are correct tho about one thing: There is no way to know for sure. As for knowing if it was a smart move or a reach, of course we can't know that. I said that already. In fact I've said several times on this site that its likely the riskiest move Lynch/Shanahan have ever made. I have no clue how this is gonna work out so I won't pretend that I do.

I always thought the move up was for Fields or Lance. I made no secret that my favorite was Fields and that my head was telling me it was Lance. I was right.

Right now I'm more excited than I've been in a long time over the prospects of the first round rookie...probably even more than Bosa. That is of course no guarantee that he'll be even serviceable.

...but again...back to the actual topic of the thread...NE has every reason to say how happy they are with Mac Jones. That doesn't mean its a lie. It could be 100% true...but there is no way you'd hear the opposite right now which makes the "story" kinda pointless. That fanbase DESPERATELY wants a young Brady clone and they had him so long that there is an entire generation that has forgotten how hard it is to find a franchise QB. They'll eat stuff like that story up thinking they now have their next 20 years starter at QB and 6-7 more rings are just around the corner. LOL.

Give them a few years to remember what it was like pre-Brady.

OP
OP
TAB420

TAB420

Reaction score
Marvin49":1it6wxa1 said:
TAB420":1it6wxa1 said:

Atlanta, Carolina, and Denver...or teams looking to move up into those spots. There was also a ton of talk about NE and NO moving up (tho I think NO was looking to move up for a CB) and I'm sure there were more. Lynch/Shanahan said that they had investigated going to 4, 5, and 6 but found that the easiest move was to 3 and it ensured they'd get their guy. Those other teams were less interested in moving down.

You are correct tho about one thing: There is no way to know for sure. As for knowing if it was a smart move or a reach, of course we can't know that. I said that already. In fact I've said several times on this site that its likely the riskiest move Lynch/Shanahan have ever made. I have no clue how this is gonna work out so I won't pretend that I do.

I always thought the move up was for Fields or Lance. I made no secret that my favorite was Fields and that my head was telling me it was Lance. I was right.

Right now I'm more excited than I've been in a long time over the prospects of the first round rookie...probably even more than Bosa. That is of course no guarantee that he'll be even serviceable.

...but again...back to the actual topic of the thread...NE has every reason to say how happy they are with Mac Jones. That doesn't mean its a lie. It could be 100% true...but there is no way you'd hear the opposite right now which makes the "story" kinda pointless. That fanbase DESPERATELY wants a young Brady clone and they had him so long that there is an entire generation that has forgotten how hard it is to find a franchise QB. They'll eat stuff like that story up thinking they now have their next 20 years starter at QB and 6-7 more rings are just around the corner. LOL.

Yet, none of those teams moved up to grab Mac or Fields who I, and many others, thought were just as good if not better than Lance. Everyone has their own opinions or theories. Mine is that Mac and Lance would have been there at #12. On the topic of NE loving what they have seen from Mac so far. I have heard many teams come out and say that a player is struggling in camp or is having a tough time with the new playbook, Goff for example.

Marvin49

Reaction score
TAB420":19ers16d said:
Marvin49":19ers16d said:
TAB420":19ers16d said:

Yet, none of those teams moved up to grab Mac or Fields who I, and many others, thought were just as good if not better than Lance. Everyone has their own opinions or theories. Mine is that Mac and Lance would have been there at #12. On the topic of NE loving what they have seen from Mac so far. I have heard many teams come out and say that a player is struggling in camp or is having a tough time with the new playbook, Goff for example.

Sigh...I guess there is simply no point to this. You are correct, nobody moved into the top 10 for Fields or Mac. THATS MY POINT. Those talks ended when Lance was selected at 3. I think you need to wrap your head around the idea that while you may have ranked Fields above Lance and Mac (and Fields was may favorite BTW), that doesn't mean NFL teams did.

I've seen a Denver NFL reporter say that the only QB they'd have considered (outside of the top 2 of course) wit their pick was selected at 3. I've seen Ron Rivera say that they entertained moving up but their preferred player went early. That comment only makes sense if its Lance because everyone knew where the top 2 were going. I've seen that Lance was marked as a Blue Card Player (look it up if you don't know what that is) for the Colts...only one of 2 in round 1.

I think teams had Lance ranked alot higher than you do. No biggy. You have your opinion and you think he'd have been there at 12. I think there is no way that would have happened. There is no way to resolve it as that isn't what happened.

OP
OP
TAB420

TAB420

Reaction score
Sigh...I guess there is simply no point to this. You are correct, nobody moved into the top 10 for Fields or Mac. THATS MY POINT. Those talks ended when Lance was selected at 3. I think you need to wrap your head around the idea that while you may have ranked Fields above Lance and Mac (and Fields was may favorite BTW), that doesn't mean NFL teams did.

Do you have any proof of this? Atlanta is locked onto Ryan for atleast two more years and the Panthers had already traded for Darnold. This leaves Denver who still has their aim set on Rogers because they are in win now mode. And, you starting a paragraph with "sigh" seems very dramatic. Unless, you're a 13 year old girl....just saying.

Marvin49

Reaction score
TAB420":23fmqd0t said:

Do you have any proof of this? Atlanta is locked onto Ryan for atleast two more years and the Panthers had already traded for Darnold. This leaves Denver who still has their aim set on Rogers because they are in when now mode. And, you starting a paragraph with "sigh" seems very dramatic. Unless, you're a 13 year old girl....just saying.

Wow. 13 year old girl.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AllbrightNFL/status/1387942148448919557[/tweet]

I'd have to track the others down in the ocean of tweets around draft time, but really not inclined to bother after that comment. Peace.

OP
OP
TAB420

TAB420

Reaction score
Now you know how I felt when I read "sigh" lol

Marvin49

Reaction score
TAB420":edo6fjjv said:
Now you know how I felt when I read "sigh" lol

Right...because that's exactly the same.

Moving on.

jmahon316

Reaction score
IF Denver wanted Lance, I have nothing to worry about that 49ers traded multiple 1st round picks to grab him. And THAT'S THE REEL. I will sleep very soundly every night for the next 3-4 years

knownone

Reaction score
Let’s chill on this. They haven’t even played a game yet.

I thought Jones was the safest QB choice after Lawrence. He would have been the #2 pick ten years ago based on how the game was played and how they evaluated QBs. So it’s not a shock that he’s showing early promise. Still, it remains to be seen if his more traditional skillset translates better than dynamic athletes like Lance or Fields.

OP
OP
TAB420

TAB420

Reaction score
I get it...but what else is going on? I mean this is a discussion forum, right?

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
TAB420":d3ot29db said:

I believe that Jones was actually in contention with the 49ers. But the fan vitriol was off the hook about them going for someone at #3 that someone else had at #15. That's still a pretty high pick, and it's possible the Patriots also feel that way about him.

It's like all quarterbacks. You have to wait and see. Sometimes that sure hand isn't one, i.e. Mariota and Winston. Happens a lot more often than finding The One.

OP
OP
TAB420

TAB420

Reaction score
interesting theory. I have wondered if talking heads could sway decisions made by head offices around the league. I truly doubt Pete and John take fans opinions into account, but who knows.