The 49ers excuses thread

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Here you go, a nice safe space to discuss everything Niners. Off topic chat will be deleted.

I'll start by saying I think the niners will be the strongest team in the NFC West, well they have to be strong what with the other 3 teams on top of them so consistently. Must be a lot of pressure holding the rest of the West up.

Also have they really improved? A wild swing for the fences with a dubious QB and maybe a couple of perennially injured players back. Whoop de doo.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Niners start with a QB who got them to SB. And if that guy gets hurt, they've now got a kid who might be the next Justin Herbert. And if they both get hurt they're going to have another first-rounder QB in Rosen, who started QB for the Cards.

They're coming back with Bosa, Kittle, pretty much all the starters they wanted. KS didn't trust Witherspoon because he was too inconsistent. I'm not even sure KS even wanted Witherspoon out there in any contest against Seattle because that guy would win Seattle points. As a 49er.

So now he's the trusted guy. Because better than Flowers? We're talking about bringing Sherm in here because Sherm has the mind, but he lasted five games in 2020. And for whatever cost reason, we're not getting KJ back so instead we're putting in a young guy who played Bobby's position in college to now be the new KJ. Which he might but again, no insurance.

The 49ers are set up this year where they have all the guys they really wanted. Plus insurance that frankly the rest of the division, or even most of the league, does not have.

Just being rational, they have the best chance at the west with information now known.

As to the rest? It's really, really hard to say. I love Matt Stafford as a QB and if it was only a few years ago with weapons like Donald, Whit, etc I'd probably say yeah, this is the 2nd place or potential contender with the 9ers. But I can't, because Stafford's had significant injuries since. And like most players is aging in career dog years.

As to us? It really depends. But we're kind of a known quantity now with the same HC and QB for a decade.

Cards? This year I don't see them as a threat. It's like they've been trying to be the whole new thing, kind of like how a Tesla was, and a lot of things are working but they are still in R&D stage. Happen not to be worried about them.

chris98251

Reaction score
Glad we have a safe place to discuss 49er excuses, what's our safe word Washington49er ?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I think Shanny will be exposed for the overrated playcaller he is.
Injuries, zebras, and bad luck will be the excuses for underachieving.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Washington49er":3di6gawu said:
Maulbert":3di6gawu said:
Washington49er":3di6gawu said:
chris98251":3di6gawu said:
Glad we have a safe place to discuss 49er excuses, what's our safe word Washington49er ?

Throwbacks

*Throwups.

Hey now this is about my safe word, get your own.

Can you maybe add some content, such as talking about your team?

Honestly at times I feel I know more about them than you do. Which is not the feeling I get from marv or 94 or kats or these other ogs.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Not sure if any of y'all have listened to the flying coach podcast but Schrager and McVay had Shanahan on the other day.

Confirmed that the Niners were interested in Stafford and KS wasn't happy that the Rams got him.

Hilarious because on another board had a Niners fan swear the Niners weren't interested in him when I suggested their draft trade wasnt their first choice.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Ramfan128":2nplgoi8 said:
Not sure if any of y'all have listened to the flying coach podcast but Schrager and McVay had Shanahan on the other day.

Confirmed that the Niners were interested in Stafford and KS wasn't happy that the Rams got him.

Hilarious because on another board had a Niners fan swear the Niners weren't interested in him when I suggested their draft trade wasnt their first choice.

My concern with Staff isn't that he's an oft-hurt warrior that'll continue trying to grade it out and suffer.

It's that he does that, has done that and is getting older.

He might be out gutting for you and not on the report. But for how long? Brady's the unicorn here. Everyone else is more like Drew Brees at best.

If the plan only is to play him legit healthy and if he was, I'd think you'd have a threat there.

But we're talking some warrior-type like Brees. Broken back, don't care. Broken fingers and ribs, not a problem, don't even think I need the Toradol doc. But then you see the decline in performance.

xray

Reaction score
If SF gets the injury monkey off their backs this year they probably win the division . IMO

Rambitious

Reaction score
If SF has extensive injuries again this year, I question their system.
Their conditioning, practice habits, equipment, drafting injury prone players etc…

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Rambitious":v3ppvmw2 said:
Their conditioning, practice habits, equipment, drafting injury prone players etc…

I've questioned what's gone on with their injuries since the Candlestick move frankly.

First it was the turf at the then-new Levi's. This was replaced several times.

Then it was Baalke picking up all these injured guys. Baalke was soon replaced.

Then they replaced most of their S&C guys. Got new medical guys in from Stanford.

It's weird with them because you almost expect some starter to go down in OTAs or something as a freak thing. Which says there's a trend going on with them. But no one can figure out how to exactly get them safer.

IDK. At this point what is it? Is it really KS? Has every other possibility been eliminated?

Washington49er

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":1ouoz4b8 said:
Rambitious":1ouoz4b8 said:

I've questioned what's gone on with their injuries since the Candlestick move frankly.

Then they replaced most of their S&C guys. Got new medical guys in from Stanford.

It's weird with them because you almost expect some starter to go down in OTAs or something as a freak thing. Which says there's a trend going on with them. But no one can figure out how to exactly get them safer.

IDK. At this point what is it? Is it really KS? Has every other possibility been eliminated?

Played two weeks in a row at that shit field in Jersey. Most of the significant injuries happened early in the first game on that garbage field.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Washington49er":2onvoox6 said:
Throwdown":2onvoox6 said:
It’s gonna be the same for them, they’re frail.

Guess we'll see

Hey I hope it’s not the case. I’m happy tho our home game vs y’all comes in week 13 so maybe home field advantage will help mask the inevitable 2nd half collapse when teams realize Russell can’t read anything with two high safeties. We might pull off a sweep on y’all lol

94Smith

Reaction score
Washington49er":2dk3zx1g said:
SantaClaraHawk":2dk3zx1g said:
Rambitious":2dk3zx1g said:

Played two weeks in a row at that $h!t field in Jersey. Most of the significant injuries happened early in the first game on that garbage field.

That sounds like an excuse. :141847_bnono:

I do know that the draft selections this year were trending towards more durable prospects, so the organization is aware of the issues and trying to fix it. Hufanga was probably the only pick with an injury history.

Washington49er

Reaction score
94Smith":1yz3ksdy said:
Washington49er":1yz3ksdy said:
SantaClaraHawk":1yz3ksdy said:
Rambitious":1yz3ksdy said:

Played two weeks in a row at that $h!t field in Jersey. Most of the significant injuries happened early in the first game on that garbage field.

That sounds like an excuse. :141847_bnono:

I do know that the draft selections this year were trending towards more durable prospects, so the organization is aware of the issues and trying to fix it. Hufanga was probably the only pick with an injury history.

Just stating facts, we all know that field sucks, just like the WA football teams field does.