Cam Akers tears Achilles tendon, out for 2021 season

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1417491418839457792[/tweet]

That really sucks for the kid.

A_Biased_Fan

Reaction score
Hate to hear about injuries and I won't gloat. But this is honestly a massive blow to the Rams, this kid was going to be a breakout star.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
That plain sucks. One hell of a player. Hopefully he has a full recovery in 2022. Massive blow to that offense.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
That's awful news. He was poised to have a great season. Sorry to hear that.

ivotuk

Reaction score
This is interesting...the importance of the running game

If numbers never lie, the Rams will have to hope their committee backfield can make up for what they'll lose from Akers' absence.

Los Angeles has averaged 120-plus rushing yards in each of the three seasons in which the Rams have made the playoffs under Sean McVay.

In the one season in which they didn't make the playoffs in the McVay era, the Rams averaged just 93.7 yards per game

https://www.nfl.com/news/rams-rb-cam-ak ... s-training

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Injuries happen and you always hate to hear about them. This takes away the Rams best RB for this year, it certainly won't help them.

I'd hoped that the Hawks could beat the Rams with them at full strength plus Stafford, certainly this will help our boys against the Rams. Stafford seems cursed by the the lack of a running game.

chris98251

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3rnb8wld said:
Injuries happen and you always hate to hear about them. This takes away the Rams best RB for this year, it certainly won't help them.

I'd hoped that the Hawks could beat the Rams with them at full strength plus Stafford, certainly this will help our boys against the Rams. Stafford seems cursed by the the lack of a running game.

Shame, but it's early, they can trade for someone and get them up to full speed if that's their desire, plus there are some backs that are unsigned as well as going to be cuts as also. Dallas and Homer both may not be kept here that could fit in a rotation there. Or Penny for that matter, that would really hurt if he gets there and blows up and stays healthy.

94Smith

Reaction score
Cam Akers >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Homer, Penny, Dallas

This is a big blow for the Rams. He was for sure going to break out in that system

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Several big-name, veteran running backs remain on the market. (They also remain on the market for a reason or reasons.) The Rams, though, aren’t looking that direction, at least not yet, after losing Cam Akers to a torn Achilles.

The Rams will give Darrell Henderson, Xavier Jones, Jake Funk, Raymond Calais and Otis Anderson the opportunity to replace Akers before looking at veteran running backs, coach Sean McVay said Tuesday.

“We’ve got some young backs on our roster that I’m intrigued about seeing how they handle this opportunity,” McVay said on ESPN 710. “I don’t know that the veteran route is something that we’d rule out, but it’s not something we’re immediately looking to address right now.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... cam-akers/

chris98251

Reaction score
94Smith":s4ido42n said:
Cam Akers >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Homer, Penny, Dallas

This is a big blow for the Rams. He was for sure going to break out in that system

They were going to go committee last year but Akers stepped up bigger then they had thought, they will go back to committee plan or bring in someone to be a part of it.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Welp, time to start the Rams excuses thread....

J/K. :D

Man, injuries suck. You hate to see it. So much work and time invested for these guys to see it evaporate in a moment.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Marvin49":2040fben said:
Welp, time to start the Rams excuses thread....

J/K. :D

Man, injuries suck. You hate to see it. So much work and time invested for these guys to see it evaporate in a moment.

It's going to be fascinating amongst Rams fans. There are a ton of (misguided) fans who were loyal to Goff. These fans have come out and said that if we don't win the Super Bowl this year it was a bad trade. I can almost get on board with saying if we don't win one with Stafford it was a bad trade - except that winning the Super Bowl is hard and often takes luck. What if Trey Lance has a Mahomes or Jackson type of year 2? If he does were all screwed, and we would have still been screwed with Goff and the picks.

Really annoying for Rams fans to spout the all in nonsense when they know that we're the youngest team in the NFL (or close to it after cut downs) and will have 10-11 picks next year. It'll be interesting to see if they accept this injury as an excuse if we don't win it all this year or if they somehow blame it on the trade.

It sucks because I'm confident that Stafford will go to another level and that Akers was going to tear it up - and we would be unstoppable.

But - Darrell Henderson is good enough. The problem is the guys behind him have zero experience and Hendo is injury prone.

I'm assuming that we will trade for someone - the Browns have no reason to, but I'd call about Hunt first. After that, I'd call Houston about David Johnson.

We have a ton of picks and some cap space to make something happen - Houston is about to embark on a massive rebuild so I'd imagine they'd be open to trading DJ.

But if they're not my third choice would be Marlon Mack - and pray that between he and Henderson, we get one solid RB for a full season.