Well, ok, but what if it had been the n word

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Funchess told reporters that he can tell even when they’re wearing masks that they’re smiling at what he’s saying because of how their eyes look, using a slur for Chinese people in the process. He later posted an apology on Twitter.

“I want to apologize for the disparaging remark I used tonight. It was not OK,” he wrote. “I have grown to develop deep personal and business relationships in the Asian community! I meant no harm, and those that know me know I have love and respect for all cultures and people. I will learn from this and continue to grow as a person. I’m forever sorry!”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... sian-slur/

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
hgwellz12":3tu9hn25 said:
What are you getting at?

OK, we all know he said his eyes looked "Chinese-llke" presumably because they were "slitted up" or "slanted" or "squinting."

We all know the word he said. It is very obvious why Florio didn't print the word. It's because it's like the n-word, particularly to Asians.

It's as bad as if he used the n-word.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":16rbgyqs said:
hgwellz12":16rbgyqs said:
What are you getting at?

OK, we all know he said his eyes looked "Chinese-llke" presumably because they were "slitted up" or "slanted" or "squinting."

We all know the word he said. It is very obvious why Florio didn't print the word. It's because it's like the n-word, particularly to Asians.

Not defending what he said, but I don't think it's as bad. There is not a history of slavery behind one of the terms.

Why are you trying to 1) connect the two 2) Claim that we should all objectively think they are on the same level?

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":rjkpom0k said:
SantaClaraHawk":rjkpom0k said:
hgwellz12":rjkpom0k said:
What are you getting at?

Not defending what he said, but I don't think it's as bad. There is not a history of slavery behind one of the terms.

Why are you trying to 1) connect the two 2) Claim that we should all objectively think they are on the same level?

If you look at the history of the railroads, it's clear we're talking at least indentured servitude on a racial level, buttressed by racial anti-Asian policies. Then we had WW2 and Japanese internment. That's where the racial slur Funchess used came from, out of that period.

Just as the "k-word" for Jews came from about that period. And to be fair, your argument really is that we would care level less if Funchess uttered the "k-word" anywhere near a microphone.

Some words need not be said. It's pretty obvious what those words are, or should be, to just about everyone.

chris98251

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":3nw1qt7p said:
therealjohncarlson":3nw1qt7p said:
SantaClaraHawk":3nw1qt7p said:
hgwellz12":3nw1qt7p said:
What are you getting at?

If you look at the history of the railroads, it's clear we're talking at least indentured servitude on a racial level, buttressed by racial anti-Asian policies. Then we had WW2 and Japanese internment. That's where the racial slur Funchess used came from, out of that period.

Just as the "k-word" for Jews came from about that period. And to be fair, your argument really is that we would care level less if Funchess uttered the "k-word" anywhere near a microphone.

Some words need not be said. It's pretty obvious what those words are, or should be, to just about everyone.

Pretty much every ethic branch has words that are insulting or demeaning to that group.

We see lots of Caucasian insults and names used by other groups but it acceptable, go figure, that's also why when other groups get pissed a lot of White people say so.............. All of you talk shit about White people and we don't say shit.

That trailer Trash, Hicks, Rednecks, just some, hell we insult each other lso openly.

I do not choose to use those terms, I am educationally Racists I am sure, I learn more every day how not to be more so, like most I was raised in a Racist Generation, by a society that had a view different then today.

I have always look at others as people not a race or religion., I don't really see how not to, why Racism seems so foreign to me to. I understand where people get it but not how you could actually act on it. I know this probably doesn't make sense to many so I will stop here.

NINEster

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":352krjrn said:
SantaClaraHawk":352krjrn said:
hgwellz12":352krjrn said:
What are you getting at?

A really nauseating argument that should have no input on anything.

We're living in an era of simultaneously being so sensitive to things, and then the party getting the benefit will instigate ad nauseum.

They feel entitled to it, but it pisses people off, and we get no progress.

Society is hopeless. I'll be a huge Russell Wilson fan before any of this is fixed.

knownone

Reaction score
It's offensive and he should be reprimanded, but let's not assume a poor choice of words is racism.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
knownone":3hib18bh said:
It's offensive and he should be reprimanded, but let's not assume a poor choice of words is racism.

Would this apply to the n-word?

The k-word?

There used to be a term used for Latinos. It started with "w"

At what point is it not just a poor word choice?

knownone

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":2ldozapu said:
knownone":2ldozapu said:

The k-word?

I think you are missing the point. My point is we shouldn't assume the worst about someone based on one mistake that could easily be explained by randomness or momentary stupidity.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
SantaClaraHawk":eih5kmws said:
knownone":eih5kmws said:

The k-word?

Play it out. Every single person that's looking at it objectively knows that he was using the word as a harmless adjective instead of a noun. But, let's play out your hypothetical scenarios in our thread here:

"Even though you have a mask on, I can tell that you're smiling at me because of your n---er eyes!"

Sound...natural? How about this one:

"Even though you have a mask on, I can tell that you're smiling at me because of your k--e eyes!"?

You think that's how he meant to use the "c-word" that he used? Nuance and context should not be ignored when deciphering intent. Do you not agree?

Now as knownone said, it's nothing more than a really unfortunate choice of words and he should be punished according to the rules by whichever committee deals with that kind of stuff. And he already issued his apology. What more do you want?

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
hgwellz12":y6dnttjj said:
SantaClaraHawk":y6dnttjj said:
knownone":y6dnttjj said:

The k-word?

Play it out. Every single person that's looking at it objectively knows that he was using the word as a harmless adjective instead of a noun. But, let's play out your hypothetical scenarios in our thread here:

"Even though you have a mask on, I can tell that you're smiling at me because of your n---er eyes!"

"Even though you have a mask on, I can tell that you're smiling at me because of your k--e eyes!"?

You think that's how he meant to use the "c-word" that he used? Nuance and context should not be ignored when deciphering intent. Do you not agree?

Now as knownone said, it's nothing more than a really unfortunate choice of words and he should be punished according to the rules by whichever committee deals with that kind of stuff. And he already issued his apology. What more do you want?

I disagree. This wasn't like a conversation with his GF or private family, it was said in public.

As racial minorities, we all have had experiences with being tagged with a word. We all know what those words are.

JFC. If someone commented on Kyler Murray's eye shape (he's hapa) people wouldn't be OK with it.

This is the same thing.

knownone

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":os7xy1ka said:
hgwellz12":os7xy1ka said:
SantaClaraHawk":os7xy1ka said:
knownone":os7xy1ka said:

The k-word?

I disagree. This wasn't like a conversation with his GF or private family, it was said in public.

As racial minorities, we all have had experiences with being tagged with a word. We all know what those words are.

JFC. If someone commented on Kyler Murray's eye shape (he's hapa) people wouldn't be OK with it.

This is the same thing.
Not sure anyone is "OK" with what he said. That's a mischaracterization. The question is to what extent he should be held liable for his actions, which is where we disagree.

chris98251

Reaction score
K.J WRIGHT":1xjfofdg said:
This place is full of libturds !

Seahawks in Seattle - Blue State

Most fans are from Seattle or live here - Go figure

Rub those brain cells together fast enough and it will make sense...