49ers cut Rosen.

Maulbert

Reaction score
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...s-waive-qb-josh-rosen-struggles-training-camp

Seriously, is there any player in league history whose stock has dropped so fast? A top 10 pick the Cards traded up for in the 2018 draft, traded for a 2nd and 5th only one year later, cut at the end of training camp the next season, and now he can't even finish out a camp without being cut. Hell, he couldn't even outlast Nate Sudfeld.

toffee

Reaction score
Pete should sign him, heck, we are tossed if Wilson goes down anyways. We don't need a Steve Young type but someone with future upside either in starting or trading. We don't have anyone that could have trade value, Rosen sucked but he still might turn his career around.

sdog1981

Reaction score
How anyone could have seen this dude at UCLA in 2017 and think he would be anything more than a career backup is beyond me.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
toffee":tn3a07ev said:
Pete should sign him, heck, we are tossed if Wilson goes down anyways. We don't need a Steve Young type but someone with future upside either in starting or trading. We don't have anyone that could have trade value, Rosen sucked but he still might turn his career around.

Rosen was unbelievable in his short-time out there in preseason. Threw an int straight up the middle. I'm not sure if he hit anyone else besides the defender. He's a disaster.

That said, I don't like the backup quarterback situation here at all either. It's been a decade with Russ, and five years since he was hurt but still playing because PC felt Boykin could not. How much longer realistically is that streak gonna hold out before an injury does keep Russ off the field for whatever length of time?

If Mullens gets waived from Philly, bring him here. At least the man has competed with us recently, and he's won games against us. If anyone thinks Geno or anyone else has more of a chance here, please explain.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Honestly, I don't think he was ever more than a camp arm.

They signed Nate Sudfeld in the offseason and his guaranteed $$$ exactly match what you would pay a Practice Squad player.

IMO was always gonna be Jimmy, Lance, and then Sudfeld on PS. Rosen had to ball out to make the squad. He didn't.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":36cgci7o said:

They signed Nate Sudfeld in the offseason and his guaranteed $$$ exactly match what you would pay a Practice Squad player.

IMO was always gonna be Jimmy, Lance, and then Sudfeld on PS. Rosen had to ball out to make the squad. He didn't.

If Sudfeld balls out rest of preseason, I wouldn't be surprised if they keep him as a QB3--sort of in the role that Beathard played. Lance is too important.

toffee

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":3q73uteg said:
toffee":3q73uteg said:

Rosen was unbelievable in his short-time out there in preseason. Threw an int straight up the middle. I'm not sure if he hit anyone else besides the defender. He's a disaster.

That said, I don't like the backup quarterback situation here at all either. It's been a decade with Russ, and five years since he was hurt but still playing because PC felt Boykin could not. How much longer realistically is that streak gonna hold out before an injury does keep Russ off the field for whatever length of time?

If Mullens gets waived from Philly, bring him here. At least the man has competed with us recently, and he's won games against us. If anyone thinks Geno or anyone else has more of a chance here, please explain.

I am down with Mullen too, Rosen needs to sit and learn, so where better than Seattle?

Marvin49

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":1vybromj said:
Marvin49":1vybromj said:

If Sudfeld balls out rest of preseason, I wouldn't be surprised if they keep him as a QB3--sort of in the role that Beathard played. Lance is too important.

I kinda think we won't see much of Sudfeld at all in preseason. I think they want to maximize reps for Lance. Neither Rosen nor Sudfeld got a single rep in 11 on 11 the last two days in camp.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":og3tgdp4 said:
SantaClaraHawk":og3tgdp4 said:
Marvin49":og3tgdp4 said:

I kinda think we won't see much of Sudfeld at all in preseason. I think they want to maximize reps for Lance. Neither Rosen nor Sudfeld got a single rep in 11 on 11 the last two days in camp.

Understood. It could go either way, really, but my sense here is that with Lance onboard, there will be more devotion to accelerating him with the 1s, thus creating a larger role for someone who was like what Beathard was.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":momo0l75 said:
Marvin49":momo0l75 said:
SantaClaraHawk":momo0l75 said:
Marvin49":momo0l75 said:

Understood. It could go either way, really, but my sense here is that with Lance onboard, there will be more devotion to accelerating him with the 1s, thus creating a larger role for someone who was like what Beathard was.

Beathard was intended to be the long time #2 QB...and he got beaten out by an undrafted Free Agent (Mullens).

Shanahan isn't married to the 3 QBs thing. Beathard was a 3rd round pick and a guy Shanahan really liked, which is why he stuck around as a 3rd QB.

I wouldn't look for anyone to take on the "Beathard Role". Its certainly not impossible of course, but my guess is its Jimmy and Lance on active roster and Sudfeld on PS in order to reserve a roster spot at another position.

RiverDog

Reaction score
sdog1981":3mu127fk said:
How anyone could have seen this dude at UCLA in 2017 and think he would be anything more than a career backup is beyond me.

This.

I can think of just two QB's drafted in the first round that I was more sure would bust: Tim Tebow and Jake Locker. And to think that Rosen was pissed that he wasn't taken earlier, making the comment that "nine mistakes" were made ahead of him.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
sdog1981":2n3qihxl said:
This!
We had a thread on him after the draft..I was totally trashing him and even his coach was lol.
Yet we had Rosen defenders and most of it was based on what he "could be"..

sdog1981

Reaction score
IndyHawk":18jaofs4 said:
sdog1981":18jaofs4 said:
This!
We had a thread on him after the draft..I was totally trashing him and even his coach was lol.
Yet we had Rosen defenders and most of it was based on what he "could be"..

Josh Rosen is a story of a kid that has been overrated since he was 17. He was considered a higher-ranked recruit than Kyler Murry and Joe Burrow. Wich leads to a whole different discussion about how no one should trust a ranking for a 17-year-old.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Having seen him play against USC, I’ll say that he can throw an absolutely beautiful ball. But he also can wilt under pressure.

flv

Reaction score
Sudfield was on the Eagles active roster for multiple games and he played in Week 17. Rosen was a PS player who was given the chance to temporarily be a #2 for the 49ers, (with a chance to compete for that role in 2021). He didn't know at that time that the 49ers were Hell bent on adding a top rookie or that he'd be competing with someone with more recent experience for the #3 role. It shouldn't be a big surprise that Sudfield beat him out. Sudfield isn't going to be more than the PS #3 QB for the 49ers. I don't blame Rosen for complaining about his lack of reps or for getting off the 49ers roster early. He's a #3 QB with more experience, better stats, and more upside than Mannion. What I do blame him for are his poor playing performances over 3 seasons and poor judgement in going to the 49ers. I'm not a fan, but there are worse options than Rosen.

OP
OP
Maulbert

Maulbert

Reaction score
Marvin49":1cjy1izs said:

This honestly reads like you're trying to make an excuse or defend the move, which is hilarious. No need to be so defensive. If 4 teams give up on the guy, it's the guy. Just be glad you gave up nothing to find out he was a turd.