What is your take on side money given to the players?

Spohawks

Reaction score
I hear players say "The seahawks take care of its players". What, do they offer extra food in the morning to garner that type of comment? I am thinking there is some side cash being handed out that are not on the books.

There is a million ways to funnel money in business, is it possible the NFL players get a little extra from the team to keep them happy?

I think of how Russell Wilson went from unhappy to the point of making it public to being perfectly fine with just one real upgrade on the Oline, that doesn't make sense to me.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Spohawks":1axhkjn4 said:
I hear players say "The seahawks take care of its players". What, do they offer extra food in the morning to garner that type of comment? I am thinking there is some side cash being handed out that are not on the books.

There is a million ways to funnel money in business, is it possible the NFL players get a little extra from the team to keep them happy?

I think of how Russell Wilson went from unhappy to the point of making it public to being perfectly fine with just one real upgrade on the Oline, that doesn't make sense to me.
I’m pretty sure the NFL has pretty strict rules against circumventing the salary cap.

OP
OP
S

Spohawks

Reaction score
Of course they have rules against it, the question is, do you think it happens anyway?

chris98251

Reaction score
Spohawks":3mk33ku8 said:

Taking care of players is many things, not what your inferring, Eddi DeBartolo Jr. tried what your saying, his history speaks to what happens when you do that.

OP
OP
S

Spohawks

Reaction score
chris98251":opba3n4w said:
Spohawks":opba3n4w said:

Taking care of players is many things, not what your inferring, Eddi DeBartolo Jr. tried what your saying, his history speaks to what happens when you do that.

This reminds me of Pete Rose. They made an example out of him to show that betting on baseball is a no no, but has betting ever happened after that? Its very possible.

chris98251

Reaction score
Spohawks":30fh3qdi said:
chris98251":30fh3qdi said:
Spohawks":30fh3qdi said:

This reminds me of Pete Rose. They made an example out of him to show that betting on baseball is a no no, but has betting ever happened after that? Its very possible.

Well the SEC went after CEO's for all the insider trading a few years back, that didn't stop it, it just makes people more sly and find less obvious ways of doing it.

Patriots got caught cheatings and filming, didn't stop them from finding other ways to get advantages either.

So I would say there are teams that will find a way to make things happen, how is just not discovered yet. But with all the money on the table you can bet stuff is happening on the side and under the table, much like agents funneling money to college players and recruits. It happens and it has been admitted by players several times.

Not everyone does it, usually its a few teams and they have staff that gets promoted and starts the practice in their new location and that spreads till a person starts doing it that isn't as good and it gets found out.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Spohawks":15v1e2yt said:

Yes, they signed one player on the o-line (Gabe Jackson, who gave up only one sack last year). They also:

- Re-signed Carson
- Signed Gerald Everett
- Extended Lockett
- Re-signed Ogbuehi, Collins, Bellore, and Pocic
- Let Russ give input on the OC search
- Drafted Damien Lewis the previous year

The supposed rift between Russ and the team was also overblown by the press and fans. Let’s not forget that when Russ said the offensive line needed to be better, he also said he needed to be better too.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2xe2ehfx said:
Spohawks":2xe2ehfx said:

I’m pretty sure the NFL has pretty strict rules against circumventing the salary cap.

And yet I wouldn't bet against the Patriots and Brady having done it for years.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
JustTheTip":13wgi5he said:
Sports Hernia":13wgi5he said:
Spohawks":13wgi5he said:

I'm pretty sure that years ago, I read an article in ESPN The Magazine that said the same thing. There was some kind of side $$$ that TB was getting. Supposedly, it didn't violate any NFL rules and didn't count against the cap.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
WmHBonney":3oekbqq3 said:
JustTheTip":3oekbqq3 said:
Sports Hernia":3oekbqq3 said:
Spohawks":3oekbqq3 said:

I'm pretty sure that years ago, I read an article in ESPN The Magazine that said the same thing. There was some kind of side $$$ that TB was getting. Supposedly, it didn't violate any NFL rules and didn't count against the cap.

I think you are referring to the company (I want to say a therapy company?) that Brady owned and the Patriots hired. Sources sited that he was making a much larger margin than he should have on what he provided. That's how he was getting "paid" under the table