The 49ers Really Botched The QB Spot This Year

Fade

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AnnieAgar/status/1429618820801519623[/tweet]
:shock: :D :D (It's funny because it's true.)

So much to go over here. The 49ers inexplicably kept Jimmy on their roster rather than save $27M in cap space by cutting or trading him for peanuts. They then use THREE 1sts and a 3rd round draft pick to select a QB who played DII and didn't even have 300 throws in college. Hardly threw in high school either. He's about as raw as a QB prospect I can recall.

Why didn't they stand pat and pick one of Justin Fields or Mac Jones and keep all of those picks? Then sign Andy Dalton for half of what Jimmy costs to be the bridge as insurance?

To add insult to injury Kyle dragged his feet on the QB competition, Trey Lance has hardly gotten any work with the ones and is under prepared to start week 1. So they have no choice but to start Jimmy who has puked all over himself all of training camp.

Trey Lance has been done a disservice if he is thrown into the fire week 1 as the starter. He needs to be used situation-ally like Taysom Hill, let him get his feet wet. But Jimmy has been so bad they may have no choice but to start Lance. Trey Lance will lead the league in turnovers and sacks if he starts 17 games this year. The kid isn't ready, and it's Kyle's fault for not getting him ready. Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

I would like to ask 3 questions to 49ers fans.

1) Would you rather have Jimmy/Lance -or- Dalton Fields/Jones + your draft picks back? And your reasons why.

2) How do you feel about Kyle hardly giving Trey Lance any reps with the 1's in training camp?

3) Who is going to be the fall guy if this season goes horribly wrong? Kyle, Lynch, or somebody else?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Fade":1nndux4i said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AnnieAgar/status/1429618820801519623[/tweet]
:shock: :D :D (It's funny because it's true.)

So much to go over here. The 49ers inexplicably kept Jimmy on their roster rather than save $27M in cap space by cutting or trading him for peanuts. They then use THREE 1sts and a 3rd round draft pick to select a QB who played DII and didn't even have 300 throws in college. Hardly threw in high school either. He's about as raw as a QB prospect I can recall.

Why didn't they stand pat and pick one of Justin Fields or Mac Jones and keep all of those picks? Then sign Andy Dalton for half of what Jimmy costs to be the bridge as insurance?

To add insult to injury Kyle dragged his feet on the QB competition, Trey Lance has hardly gotten any work with the ones and is under prepared to start week 1. So they have no choice but to start Jimmy who has puked all over himself all of training camp.

Trey Lance has been done a disservice if he is thrown into the fire week 1 as the starter. He needs to be used situation-ally like Taysom Hill, let him get his feet wet. But Jimmy has been so bad they may have no choice but to start Lance. Trey Lance will lead the league in turnovers and sacks if he starts 17 games this year. The kid isn't ready, and it's Kyle's fault for not getting him ready. Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

I would like to ask 3 questions to 49ers fans.

1) Would you rather have Jimmy/Lance -or- Dalton Fields/Jones + your draft picks back? And your reasons why.

2) How do you feel about Kyle hardly giving Trey Lance any reps with the 1's in training camp?

3) Who is going to be the fall guy if this season goes horribly wrong? Kyle, Lynch, or somebody else?
Can’t wait for the excuses from the usual suspects, it should be a real hootenanny.

:snack:

toffee

Reaction score
Skip Bayless's opinion, lol.

[youtube]w8ed62sC5uk[/youtube]

Sims:
[youtube]wHQpybt6aoY[/youtube]

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
What a mess. In a vacuum even, history shows- what ~50% of the first round QBs will bust- so not really a surprise if it happens. Thing is the way it's playing out could hurt the franchise for years.

94Smith

Reaction score
Jump to conclusions much? How about waiting until week 5 or 6 before confirming they screwed up the quarterback position? Jimmy has had two drives in preseason. Lance has played two games. Lance has been up and down so far. You can see the potential. Some of his throws have been too hot to handle. But he is not even old enough to drink yet. I really like that he settled in late in the second quarter and 3rd quarter and looked good. He had a couple good scrambles.

Jimmy vs Dalton, I'd rather have Jimmy. He knows the system, the players like him and trust him. It would likely take Dalton a year to learn Kyle's system. Is Jimmy better than Dalton, probably not, but Jimmy in the 49ers system in 2021 is better than Dalton would be.

Lance vs Fields vs Jones. I don't think you can say anything definitive there. I liked Lance>Jones> Fields from all the You tube college throws I watched before the draft, but it is pretty much a crap shoot,

I like that Shanahan and Lynch zeroed in and went after who they wanted. I would also would like having the draft picks, but draft picks are never guarantees either.

Both Lynch and Shanahan will both still be around if this fails. But if the blame is anywhere it would have to be on Shanahan

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
94Smith":3fkjlplb said:
Jump to conclusions much? How about waiting until week 5 or 6 before confirming they screwed up the quarterback position? Jimmy has had two drives in preseason. Lance has played two games. Lance has been up and down so far. You can see the potential. Some of his throws have been too hot to handle. But he is not even old enough to drink yet. I really like that he settled in late in the second quarter and 3rd quarter and looked good. He had a couple good scrambles.

Jimmy vs Dalton, I'd rather have Jimmy. He knows the system, the players like him and trust him. It would likely take Dalton a year to learn Kyle's system. Is Jimmy better than Dalton, probably not, but Jimmy in the 49ers system in 2021 is better than Dalton would be.

Lance vs Fields vs Jones. I don't think you can say anything definitive there. I liked Lance>Jones> Fields from all the You tube college throws I watched before the draft, but it is pretty much a crap shoot,

I like that Shanahan and Lynch zeroed in and went after who they wanted. I would also would like having the draft picks, but draft picks are never guarantees either.

Both Lynch and Shanahan will both still be around if this fails. But if the blame is anywhere it would have to be on Shanahan

Let's try this again.

Not saying it's a guarantee he'll fail longterm, but shorterm it is extremely likely. Kyle hasn't properly prepared Lance to start. Good coaches don't do that. Kyle is amazing on the white board drawing up plays, but he leaves a lot to be desired as the skipper of the ship.

Lance has practiced and played against 2s-3s-4s. He needed a ton of reps with the 1s to get ready to play. Instead Kyle failed Lance in this regard. The kid is going to have to overcome it, and if he starts right now, he is going to get sacked a lot, and be a turnover machine. Kyle botched it.

The choices are:

A) Jimmy / Lance (Most expensive QB room in the NFL.) + Loss of massive draft capitol.

--OR--

B) Dalton / Different Rookie QB (Approx. Half Price) Massive Cap Savings & two 1st Rd picks and a 3rd.

Dalton is somewhat versed in the system (Jay Gruden) McVay served under Jay in Washington. He'd be fine.

It's a crapshoot just like you said, so you like the fact that the 49ers braintrust not only drafted a QB in the 1st, but flushed away the next 2 drafts as well, for a QB who is a long term project to boot, the least ready to start from the '21 class?

I think your opinion on this is going to change pretty quick if the 49ers miss the playoffs and they're handing away a top 10 pick, when they could've stood pat and had either Mac Jones or Justin Fields, a lot more cap space and draft picks. Jed is going to fire somebody if he loses a top 10 pick, and likely another the next year.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":2fdy6ewj said:
What a mess. In a vacuum even, history shows- what ~50% of the first round QBs will bust- so not really a surprise if it happens. Thing is the way it's playing out could hurt the franchise for years.

Adding on to this:

Since 2000; It's more like 80% of 1st Rd QB have busted if your metric is they be a franchise guy for years to come. The number increases exponentially when they have fewer than 25 starts in college, and are not the #1 pick, as in it doesn't happen.

Chad Pennington

Mike Vick (#1 Pick)

David Carr (#1 Pick)
Joey Harrington

Carson Palmer (#1 Pick)
Byron Leftwich
Kyle Boller
Rex Grossman

Eli Manning (#1 Pick)
Philip Rivers
Big Ben

Alex Smith (#1 Pick)
Aaron Rodgers
Jason Campbell

Vince Young
Matt Leinart
Jay Cutler

JaMarcus Russell (#1 Pick)
Brady Quinn

Matt Ryan
Joe Flacco

Matt Stafford (#1 Pick)
Mark Sanchez
Josh Freeman

Sam Bradford (#1 Pick)
Tim Tebow

Cam Newton (#1 Pick)
Jake Locker
Blaine Gabbert
Christian Ponder

Andrew Luck (#1 Pick)
RG III
Ryan Tannehill
Brandon Weeden

EJ Manuel

Blake Bortles
Johnny Football
Teddy 2 Gloves

Jameis Winston (#1 Pick)
Marcus Mariota

Jared Goff (#1 Pick)
Carson Wentz
Paxton Lynch

Mitch Trubisky
Pat Mahomes
DeShaun Watson

Baker Mayfield (#1 Pick)
Sam Darnold
Josh Allen
Josh Rosen
Lamar Jackson

Kyler Murray (#1 Pick)
Daniel Jones
Dwayne Haskins

2020 (Not going to factor this class in, as it's too early.)
Joe Burrow
Tua
Justin Herbert
Jordan Love

2000-2019 [20 Draft Classes]

54 QBs taken in the 1st round, 15/54 are/were worth building a franchise around. If you ignore legal troubles, and early retirements (Luck). Factor those in it's 12/54. Meaning 78% of 1st round QB prospects bust or underwhelm, since 2000. Of those 12 we are giving some of them the benefit of the doubt, as it is early in their careers and couple of them could go south quite easily.

They all started 27 or more games in college, most starting around 40 games in college. Save for 1, Cam Newton. He started just 20 games in college. And has always had deficiencies as a thrower I might add. Trey Lance started 17 games in DII. Is Trey Lance the next Cam Newton? I doubt it. The odds are stacked against him. Even then Cam Newton had an underwhelming career given his talent level. Very inconsistent, got booted from the franchise that drafted him, now is about to lose his job to a rookie with meager physical gifts.

94Smith

Reaction score
Fade":3rlc3mx0 said:
94Smith":3rlc3mx0 said:

Let's try this again.

Not saying it's a guarantee he'll fail longterm, but shorterm it is extremely likely. Kyle hasn't properly prepared Lance to start. Good coaches don't do that. Kyle is amazing on the white board drawing up plays, but he leaves a lot to be desired as the skipper of the ship.

Lance has practiced and played against 2s-3s-4s. He needed a ton of reps with the 1s to get ready to play. Instead Kyle failed Lance in this regard. The kid is going to have to overcome it, and if he starts right now, he is going to get sacked a lot, and be a turnover machine. Kyle botched it.

The choices are:

A) Jimmy / Lance (Most expensive QB room in the NFL.) + Loss of massive draft capitol.

--OR--

B) Dalton / Different Rookie QB (Approx. Half Price) Massive Cap Savings & two 1st Rd picks and a 3rd.

Dalton is somewhat versed in the system (Jay Gruden) McVay served under Jay in Washington. He'd be fine.

It's a crapshoot just like you said, so you like the fact that the 49ers braintrust not only drafted a QB in the 1st, but flushed away the next 2 drafts as well, for a QB who is a long term project to boot, the least ready to start from the '21 class?

I think your opinion on this is going to change pretty quick if the 49ers miss the playoffs and they're handing away a top 10 pick, when they could've stood pat and had either Mac Jones or Justin Fields, a lot more cap space and draft picks. Jed is going to fire somebody if he loses a top 10 pick, and likely another the next year.

The big choice is Lance vs the other Qbs and draft picks. The cap savings is for this year only as Jimmy will not be on the roster next year. I give a lot of leeway in this decision as I think it is pretty much impossible to predict and be right ahead of time

Both Lynch and Shanahan are safe. The fan base loves Kyle and Lynch has shown a lot of success in free agent aquisitions and overall draft picks. Also Lynch is loved by the media and it would be a PR mis step for Jed to "be Jed" :p

If Garoppolo is so bad, Lynch and Shanahan got the team to the superbowl despite his shortcomings. You as Seahawks fans can only claim one thing. Either Garoppolo is bad and Lynch and Shanahan are good, or Garoppolo is good and Lynch and Shanahan are bad. You see how it can't be both? How do you explain 2019 ?

94Smith

Reaction score
Also think that Lynch/Shanahan know that they are safe if they made the wrong decision so that is why they took the riskier decision over the "safe" decision

Maulbert

Reaction score
Fade":18q2npg2 said:
Grahamhawker":18q2npg2 said:

Adding on to this:

Since 2000; It's more like 80% of 1st Rd QB have busted if your metric is they be a franchise guy for years to come. The number increases exponentially when they have fewer than 25 starts in college, and are not the #1 pick, as in it doesn't happen.

Chad Pennington

Mike Vick (#1 Pick)

David Carr (#1 Pick)
Joey Harrington

Carson Palmer (#1 Pick)
Byron Leftwich
Kyle Boller
Rex Grossman

Eli Manning (#1 Pick)
Philip Rivers
Big Ben

Alex Smith (#1 Pick)
Aaron Rodgers
Jason Campbell

Vince Young
Matt Leinart
Jay Cutler

JaMarcus Russell (#1 Pick)
Brady Quinn

Matt Ryan
Joe Flacco

Matt Stafford (#1 Pick)
Mark Sanchez
Josh Freeman

Sam Bradford (#1 Pick)
Tim Tebow

Cam Newton (#1 Pick)
Jake Locker
Blaine Gabbert
Christian Ponder

Andrew Luck (#1 Pick)
RG III
Ryan Tannehill
Brandon Weeden

EJ Manuel

Blake Bortles
Johnny Football
Teddy 2 Gloves

Jameis Winston (#1 Pick)
Marcus Mariota

Jared Goff (#1 Pick)
Carson Wentz
Paxton Lynch

Mitch Trubisky
Pat Mahomes
DeShaun Watson

Baker Mayfield (#1 Pick)
Sam Darnold
Josh Allen
Josh Rosen
Lamar Jackson

Kyler Murray (#1 Pick)
Daniel Jones
Dwayne Haskins

2020 (Not going to factor this class in, as it's too early.)
Joe Burrow
Tua
Justin Herbert
Jordan Love

2000-2019 [20 Draft Classes]

54 QBs taken in the 1st round, 15/54 are/were worth building a franchise around. If you ignore legal troubles, and early retirements (Luck). Factor those in it's 12/54. Meaning 78% of 1st round QB prospects bust or underwhelm, since 2000. Of those 12 we are giving some of them the benefit of the doubt, as it is early in their careers and couple of them could go south quite easily.

They all started 27 or more games in college, most starting around 40 games in college. Save for 1, Cam Newton. He started just 20 games in college. And has always had deficiencies as a thrower I might add. Trey Lance started 17 games in DII. Is Trey Lance the next Cam Newton? I doubt it. The odds are stacked against him. Even then Cam Newton had an underwhelming career given his talent level. Very inconsistent, got booted from the franchise that drafted him, now is about to lose his job to a rookie with meager physical gifts.

I wouldn't call Pennington a bust, he actually played really well for the Jets, then tore his rotator cuff, and still won comeback player of the year twice despite some terrible injuries. Was he he great? No, but it was injuries, not performance issues, and he was still predominantly a starter in a 10+ year career, making the playoffs in every season (4 times) in which he started the majority of his team's games, and the ONLY QB to ever win the AFC East over the combined dark powers Belicheat and Shady, which he did with 2 different teams.

94Smith

Reaction score
Tannehill, Palmer, Alex Smith, Cutler, and Flacco had decent careers. RGIII, Goff, and Wentz all had stellar years

sdog1981

Reaction score
94Smith":xcwsjv3p said:
Tannehill, Palmer, Alex Smith, Cutler, and Flacco had decent careers. RGIII, Goff, and Wentz all had stellar years

RGIII had one year. Wentz had flashes in his first 2 years.

I would separate Goff from those guys.

Maulbert

Reaction score
94Smith":uotfpii2 said:

Tannehill might well end up the second best QB from the 2012 draft. He really seems to have figured it out in Tennessee.

Marvin49

Reaction score
....I guess it was just a matter of time before someone here said something stupid about the 49ers QB situation. In hindsight, I guess its just a surprise it took THIS long.

Sigh.

First off, I like how this is painted like this is some great travesty that is doomed to fail. LOL. Fanboy much?

I can say we don't know how this will all turn out, but I'm not assuming success or failure.

As for your questions...

The answer is "I don't know" because we haven't seen anyone in a regular season game and the point is moot anyway. The 49ers TRIED to sign Dalton and he decided to sign with the Bears. Its clear to anyone who actually pays attention rather than buy into national narratives RE Mac Jones that Lance was the guy Lynch and Shanahan wanted when they made the trade. How 'bout we let it play out a bit before calling it "Botched the QB spot". LOL.

As for Jimmy and his $$$$...whom did the 49ers lose to keep Jimmy? Trade him? They can still do that this year OR next. In fact, since they've accounted for the $$$ on the cap this year, they could actually take on a part of his salary to facilitate a trade this year before the deadline if they chose to do so. As I said, they actually were in negotiations with Dalton and he elected to sign with Chicago....so whom exactly do you see that was out there that would be better in that mentor role?

As for Fields/Mac and the capitol they gave up to move to 3...I've said countless times I don't like trading away 1s. The answer to this question is impossible to deliver at this time though because we haven't seen any of these guys play in regular season....and even then it'll take a few years.

What's clear is that Niners put a huge value on Lance over Mac specifically (not sure on Fields) because they saw something they REALLY liked that they didn't see in the others. Time will tell if they were right or wrong. It is clear tho, just as I said on this sign COUNTLESS times predraft, that Kyle was looking for a QB with plus physical traits. Mac was never the guy. Lance/Fields is a question, but it was never Mac. The entire point was he wanted a QB that would be a THREAT to run to create problems in both the run and pass games because the D would have to account for the QB as a runner.

I feel like this is what Shanahan has been saying from the start. The answers to most of peoples questions are found in his answers. People just don't believe him even when his actions bear out his words. He's said all along that Jimmy was his starter and that Lance would play in packages. He has no interest in rushing a rookie onto the field full time. Lance will play when he's ready just as Shanahan has said from the start. This isn't rocket science. The plan with Lance is LONG TERM. It is not just about this year.

The fact that Lance is raw hasn't been lost on anyone. In fact, the last two preseason games were his first in like 500+ days.

Why is it SOOO hard to grasp the concept of bring the rookie along slowly when you have an established vet ahead of him?

Should also be noted that Fields isn't getting first team reps either...so like...what's your point?

Really? Why is this even a topic? Who will be the fall guy if Seattle's season goes horribly wrong? Or New England's? Or Chicago's? Or ANYONES?

Just a stupid question. Why assume failure? Why plan for failure?

Lance has had some high highs and some low lows in Preseason...exactly what you would expect from a rookie. He's learning and he'll get his chance eventually. The indications from camp is that teammates love him and his potential is through the roof.

None of that is any guarantee, but I'm not assuming anything. It just seems odd to me to portray the situation in the way you did when the reviews of Lance have been so good. I mean honestly, his biggest problems have seemed to be receivers being able to catch the ball he throws (7 drops)...which BTW is the joke the video is making fun of. There are MUCH worse problems to have.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":1qzoo0it said:

Like...um...what?

Please expand on that thought?

They have a young QB with potential off the charts that expectedly has been up and down in preseason. They have a vet QB who QBed the team to a SB appearance ahead of him so the rookie doesn't need to be forced onto the field.

So...what exactly is "playing out" that could hurt the franchise?

Just hilarious how badly peeps here WANT Lance to be a bust that they ignore all info otherwise. I mean I get it...its a Seahawks fan site and Lance booming would be bad...but the reach is really funny to me.

Can't wait to hear this...

Marvin49

Reaction score
Fade":y4hkzq4n said:
94Smith":y4hkzq4n said:

Let's try this again.

The choices are:

--OR--

Yeah...lets try this again....

Why are you assuming Shanahan was EVER prepping Lance to start this year? "Hasn't properly prepared Lance"? WTF. THATS BECAUSE HE'S NOT THE STARTER. That was never the plan.

Why is this difficult. Just LISTEN. Shanahan keeps telling people what he's gonna do, they don't believe him, and then he does it and they act like its a big conspiracy. Just freakin' listen to the man. LOL.

Your question is 100% moot since they TRIED to sign Dalton and he elected to go to Chicago.

chris98251

Reaction score
I am trying to remember the last time you had some stability at QB in S.F. maybe Jeff Garcia and he wasn't wanted there by most. You have had fill ins for a few years, Alex Smith, Kaep, Grab a Ho, but nothing considered your guy for any real length of time.

Marvin49

Reaction score
chris98251":1hsn9hl5 said:
I am trying to remember the last time you had some stability at QB in S.F. maybe Jeff Garcia and he wasn't wanted there by most. You have had fill ins for a few years, Alex Smith, Kaep, Grab a Ho, but nothing considered your guy for any real length of time.

I mean you can even go back to Steve Young. There was a huge portion of the fanbase that STILL hasn't embraced him for having the audacity to not be Joe Montana.

There have been several times when it LOOKED like there was gonna be stability there...but then it tanked. No question, its been a long time.

Its why I would tell you guys to really enjoy having Russ. It is very likely that you won't see his like in Seattle for a long time. Back to Back top 5 QBs are a rarity in the NFL.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Marvin49":12kye8vz said:
Grahamhawker":12kye8vz said:

Like...um...what?

Please expand on that thought?

They have a young QB with potential off the charts that expectedly has been up and down in preseason. They have a vet QB who QBed the team to a SB appearance ahead of him so the rookie doesn't need to be forced onto the field.

So...what exactly is "playing out" that could hurt the franchise?

Just hilarious how badly peeps here WANT Lance to be a bust that they ignore all info otherwise. I mean I get it...its a Seahawks fan site and Lance booming would be bad...but the reach is really funny to me.

Can't wait to hear this...

If you give up that much to get your guy, he darn well better work out is all I'm saying; and often they don't. Meanwhile still paying JG more than many think he's worth. Hey, it may all work out great, but let's not pretend it couldn't go south.