Bill Walsh wanted Easley over Lott

NINEster

Reaction score
Don’t know how to embed pics, but last week Lott spoke to fans how Walsh wanted Easley instead of him in the ‘81 draft but George Seifert went to bat for him and wanted him instead in the draft.

Walsh and Dick Vermeil were friends which is what influenced him to prefer Easley. Seifert liked Lott’s footwork and envisioned him playing corner or Safety.

Lott said when he arrived at the airport , they had a flight for Easley not him, haha.

What seifert shared indicated not only did Walsh prefer Easley but was pissed that others wanted Lott. Seifert shared all these details seemingly for the first time, confirming Lott’s suspicions all these years.

Wild stuff. Even Lott thinks Easley is the best safety ever.

I’ve never seen him play and now I want to.

toffee

Reaction score
Kenny Easley had a great career:

5× Pro Bowl (1982–1985, 1987)
4× First-team All-Pro (1982–1985)
Second-team All-Pro (1987)
NFL Defensive Player of the Year (1984)
NFL 1980s All-Decade Team
Seattle Seahawks Ring of Honor
Seattle Seahawks No. 45 retired
3× Consensus All-American (1978–1980)
UCLA Bruins No. 5 retired

9ers would be OK to have him instead of Lott, Walsh wasn't off by wanting him instead of Lott. Seifert's cool dude, he was a neighbors when he was HC of 9ers. He still owe daughter $10 or so for unpaid girl scout cookies part of her door to door effort, after 20 odd years it may be closer to $15 now with interest lol.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Easley was my favorite Hawk when I was a teenager. The guy brought it every game. One of the best athletes that has ever played the game IMHO. Great hitter, great in coverage, great hands, just a beast. Had the respect of his peers.

Lott is one of the reasons Kenny is in the HOF. He kept pushing for it.
Kenny should have been a first ballot HOF’er, but he didn’t play for one of the legacy teams and his career was cut short because of kidney issues brought on by heavy Advil use which was recommended by Seahawks doctors at the time for pain relief.

toffee

Reaction score
NINEster":2zr46ohm said:
She'll get her money eventually!

nah, she got many times over by using it as her go to joke at sports parties. All good.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Well, yeah. Easley was higher rated coming out of college, and Lott even said Easley was better. Genuinely, I believe Easley was the most talented player the Hawks have ever had. He probably would be considered the greatest safety in the history of the game if our medical staff didn't ruin his liver. It still pisses me off.

And, by the way, none of this is a slight on Lott. He was great.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Maulbert":2sdle1xx said:
Well, yeah. Easley was higher rated coming out of college, and Lott even said Easley was better. Genuinely, I believe Easley was the most talented player the Hawks have ever had. He probably would be considered the greatest safety in the history of the game if our medical staff didn't ruin his liver. It still pisses me off.

And, by the way, none of this is a slight on Lott. He was great.
Lott was great player, and he’s a great guy.

chris98251

Reaction score
It's like picking Apples and Apples, Red Delicious or Golden, you can't go wrong.

Threedee

Reaction score
chris98251":1hcnxi32 said:
It's like picking Apples and Apples, Red Delicious or Golden, you can't go wrong.

Especially if Easley is Red Delicious.

On my all-time roster, I pick Easley over Chancellor, joined by Dave Brown, Earl Thomas, and Sherman.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Threedee":2s7iquin said:
chris98251":2s7iquin said:

Especially if Easley is Red Delicious.

On my all-time roster, I pick Easley over Chancellor, joined by Dave Brown, Earl Thomas, and Sherman.
It’s almost criminal that Easley never got to play in a Super Bowl.