NFC WEST RESULTS & RANKINGS AFTER WEEK 3

Fade

Reaction score
THE NFC WEST the best division in football. Just a sentence or two write up will suffice. I'm not trying to do an entire scouting report or essay on this.

(1) LA RAMS (3-0)

Stafford was blamed for the Lions not getting over the hump for years. This season is proving once again bad organizations drag down franchise QBs more than the other way around.

(2) AZ CARDINALS (3-0)

The Cardinals had another layup against the Jags, they are cruising right now.

(3) SF 49ERS (2-1)

San Fran plays a decent team and they lose. That will probably be the story of their season. They are talented, but often injured. They will look good against the tomato cans of the NFC North & AFC South.

(4) SEA SEAHAWKS (1-2)

Pete Carroll looks done, he is on the brink. The next 3 games will decide a lot for him. The team has Russell Wilson, DK Metcalf, Chris Carson, Duane Brown, Bobby Wagner, Jamal Adams and they play with no juice. They are broken and dysfunctional.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Straight up. Niners sucked today.

If not for Nick Bosa early the game would likely have been 21-0 rather than 10-0.

Niners depleted at CB and playing Rodgers and Adam’s. No bueno.

I knew they lost the game the instant Juice scored and there were 37 seconds left. They never should have even had the chance to take the lead.

Refs were rough early in with PIs against SF, but calls were just as bad against the Packers late so that’s no excuse. Just a rough, rough night. I don’t hate Jimmy, but man….that backward spike was one of the most boneheaded thing I’ve seen in a long time.

pinksheets

Reaction score
I expect the Cards and 9ers to be duking it out for 2nd place later. Rams just seem like they're in a tier above with Stafford now. They're in the prime of their window.

rlkats

Reaction score
With our secondary playing this bad and Jimmy doing Jimmy things, I really can see
2 more losses before the bye week. Seattle and AZ receivers have to be licking their chops.

rlkats

Reaction score
pinksheets":2ngux0dv said:
I expect the Cards and 9ers to be duking it out for 2nd place later. Rams just seem like they're in a tier above with Stafford now. They're in the prime of their window.

There is no stopping the Rams. They are on fire. The hawks have had some tough games but they will get better. My Niners have zero run game and the secondary is garbage. Not to mention Jimmy giving the ball up every chance he can.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
rlkats":1gbw6xdp said:
With our secondary playing this bad and Jimmy doing Jimmy things, I really can see
2 more losses before the bye week. Seattle and AZ receivers have to be licking their chops.
True but you get to play the KNJ Swiss cheese defense. Hint throw to whomever #21 is guarding he won’t be within 10 yard of his man.

Washington49er

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1st42aj5 said:
rlkats":1st42aj5 said:
True but you get to play the KNJ Swiss cheese defense. Hint throw to whomever #21 is guarding he won’t be within 10 yard of his man.

Sad to say but I think 9ers and Hawks battling for 3rd place.

If Rams stay healthy I think they take the division.

chris98251

Reaction score
Washington49er":3fnufcl1 said:
Sports Hernia":3fnufcl1 said:
rlkats":3fnufcl1 said:

Sad to say but I think 9ers and Hawks battling for 3rd place.

If Rams stay healthy I think they take the division.

Rams are only going to get better with Stafford learning the offense better and learning his receivers tendencies and adjustments, he has won over the confidence of the defense there already also. They are going to get tougher.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3p3able7 said:
rlkats":3p3able7 said:

No worries.

Jimmy will spike the ball backwards.

HawkOG70’

Reaction score
Another pitiful second half. Not sure how Norton still has a job. If he was white he would've been fired by now. The easy blue print to beating this team is screen pass left screen pass right. That's it. Those were the chunk plays lol
As for the rankings
LA
AZ
SF
SEA

For now. I say for now because it's a long season and we've started 1-3 and 2-4 in the past and still made the SB but they need to figure it out soon

nutluck

Reaction score
My take this week, which I think is most peoples take at this point.

Rams - Beating the Bucs the way they did is a big game for them

Cards - They might not always win pretty but they find ways to win and that is what good teams do.

9ers - What can I say, they beat two teams they really should have and then barely lost to a team that will likely make a serious playoff push. But I can't really put them above unbeaten teams.

Hawks - I don't even know what to say, I picked the hawks to go 12-5 this year and compete for the division. This is not the team I expected to see this year. Good for the rest of the division though, but it is making my dream of all three wild card teams coming out of the NFCW harder to see now.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
I never understood the Stafford doubt. All week the media was talking this game up for Stafford, but it was confusing to me. The Rams under Goff played in a few games like this, so that actually wasn't why we got Stafford (so many in the media were saying "this is why the Rams got Stafford" - idiots).

We've often won these games with Goff - this was NOT why we got Stafford. We got Stafford to allow McVay to use his entire playbook. Of course we did it to win the Super Bowl; but I'd imagine every team that made the divisional round last year expects to compete for the Super Bowl.

More than anything, all the times Stafford brought back or nearly brought the Lions back and people thought he was the problem?

It's just week 3 so we haven't won anything yet, but that trade is looking better and better each week.

Week 4 is going to be crazy. Arizona has never beaten McVay. The Niners and Seahawks will both be fighting for what sort of feels like their seasons. The Niners can afford the loss more, but being a home divisional game it feels HUGE for their season.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Marvin49":1ic5b6og said:

If not for Nick Bosa early the game would likely have been 21-0 rather than 10-0.

I knew they lost the game the instant Juice scored and there were 37 seconds left. They never should have even had the chance to take the lead.

Refs were rough early in with PIs against SF, but calls were just as bad against the Packers late so that’s no excuse. Just a rough, rough night. I don’t hate Jimmy, but man….that backward spike was one of the most boneheaded thing I’ve seen in a long time.

I legitimately don't understand why he didn't think to just go down before the goal line. More players need to be smarter about doing that. I get the "you're not guaranteed to score" crowd, but in that match up, I'll take the Niners with 1st and goal from the 2 100/100 times to score a TD.

Agreed on the refs early on. The PI calls were stupid. The roughing call and missed hit on Adams were equally bad. Always nice when those actually even out.

nutluck

Reaction score
Both divisional games are big this week.

The Rams and Cards are playing for who will have a nice division lead for the title.

The 9er's if they want a shot at division needs to keep up with the Rams and Cards and one of them will be 4-0 next week and the hawks need a win bad, or things could start to get out of hand fast for them. Since they are at 9er's, home for Rams, at Stealers, home for NO(who is a lot better than expected), so this is a brutal stretch for the hawks, they have to get at least one or two wins.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Ramfan128":1nzawkwf said:
Marvin49":1nzawkwf said:

I legitimately don't understand why he didn't think to just go down before the goal line. More players need to be smarter about doing that. I get the "you're not guaranteed to score" crowd, but in that match up, I'll take the Niners with 1st and goal from the 2 100/100 times to score a TD.

Agreed on the refs early on. The PI calls were stupid. The roughing call and missed hit on Adams were equally bad. Always nice when those actually even out.

I totally get the argument and honestly I don't know where I'd fall on it.

If he'd gone down and then like the next play is an INT (like say overtime last Monday Night), then you are thinking they got way to cute with it and outsmarted themselves.

IE, I can see it either way.

I just knew tho that they had lost already. I saw them cheering on the field, my mother texted me all happy....I just stared at the screen. No joy.

All I could see was "37". I knew it.

I don't know where I stand on the Adams hit. There is no question is LOOKED bad, but if you rewatch it Ward led with his shoulder and Adams after the play said it wasn't a concussion. he couldn't breathe because he was hit so hard in the chest. I'm not saying I'm sure it was a clean hit. I don't know that either...I'm just not so sure it was egregious as most think.

Ward was trying to knock the ball loose. I don't think he knew that Adams had already dropped it.

Steve young says this sometimes. We are at the point now where refs just penalize big hits. Not hitting with helmet, not late...just big hits.

The PI on Aiyuk and the roughing the passer tho...yeah...those were pretty bad.

NINEster

Reaction score
nutluck":25793j2u said:

The Rams and Cards are playing for who will have a nice division lead for the title.

The 9er's if they want a shot at division needs to keep up with the Rams and Cards and one of them will be 4-0 next week and the hawks need a win bad, or things could start to get out of hand fast for them. Since they are at 9er's, home for Rams, at Stealers, home for NO(who is a lot better than expected), so this is a brutal stretch for the hawks, they have to get at least one or two wins.

I know it sounds like a cliche, but divisions aren't won in weeks 3 or 4.

The idea is to have the best team possible, because at a certain point unbeaten streaks end and you start to see who is who for real.

Nothing better than looking back at that 2019 49er team that started 8-0, lost to Seattle and still almost lost the division to them despite such a dominant record.

Can't recall the last time a 13-3 team clinched the division on the final play of the regular season.

nutluck

Reaction score
NINEster":3b8hmvhi said:
nutluck":3b8hmvhi said:

The idea is to have the best team possible, because at a certain point unbeaten streaks end and you start to see who is who for real.

Nothing better than looking back at that 2019 49er team that started 8-0, lost to Seattle and still almost lost the division to them despite such a dominant record.

Can't recall the last time a 13-3 team clinched the division on the final play of the regular season.

I didn't say anything about clinched I just said who ever wins the cards/rams game will have a nice lead at 1.5 games. Then for the 9er's and hawks both need a win, it is much easier at the end of the year to over take a team for the division crown if you are only down a game or two than if you are down 3 or more.

AubHawk71

Reaction score
NINEster":3kfxqs4e said:
nutluck":3kfxqs4e said:

I agree divisions aren't won in week 2,3,4, but it is the most important part of the season to figure out if what you put out there is what you expected, if it is not you need to make some adjustments (not Pete tho, he has it all figured out) and then re-calibrate your game plans, esp since you have a sample size of what your upcoming opponents are doing or not doing right now. That's the secret. Not come out and blast everyone out of the water, which the NFL would never allow anyway, but to strategerize with knowing what you know.

chris98251

Reaction score
AubHawk71":az3bcce8 said:
NINEster":az3bcce8 said:
nutluck":az3bcce8 said:

I agree divisions aren't won in week 2,3,4, but it is the most important part of the season to figure out if what you put out there is what you expected, if it is not you need to make some adjustments (not Pete tho, he has it all figured out) and then re-calibrate your game plans, esp since you have a sample size of what your upcoming opponents are doing or not doing right now. That's the secret. Not come out and blast everyone out of the water, which the NFL would never allow anyway, but to strategerize with knowing what you know.

Clearly is is not on defense, and on offense the ease that the opponents have made adjustments and shut us down without counters is not just concerning but now trending.