Tampa signs Sherm

W

Welshers

Disappointing. I just don't see why we couldn't have taken a real swing at him. We need a corner bad. Other teams are wo r king on shoring up their weaknesses. Not us...

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
They did take a swing, so did the Niners. He just chose to go to the Bucs. Meh. Way past his prime. But he absolutely could have helped here. And JS is always looking around, there's not way in hell he isn't on the phone calling teams about guys. Or contacting available free agents.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I'd go to Tampa too. Losing team that has loaded up with young, high draft picks and low salary.

That's why Arians chose them to coach for. Same thing he did with Arizona. Choose a perennially losing team, because it can be loaded with talent, yet still have cap space.

Talent laden except for a QB which is why Brady chose them.

Which is why Sherman chose them.

Remember when we were that team? We loaded up! Plus some really good drafting and coaching.

When a team "matures," ego and personalities tend to get in the way of Coaching. "I'm the reason this team is winning, so I must be the smartest one here."

We heard it from Kam, Mike Bennett, Golden Tate, etc, etc.

When everything's new, like it is in Tampa Bay and Arizona, it's easy for players to get excited and "buy in."

Why do you think "buy in" is such a popular term in the NFL? Because it applies so often.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Exactly, why WOULDN'T someone want to go play for the champs? Especially a guy who didn't get signed by a single team in the off season.

onepicknick1

Reaction score
Sherm could of taught the CB to be CB instead of never looking for the ball throw your hands up last second play back ten yards let them catch then tackle. I'm beginning to believe the LOB was self taught.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Good for him. He said he got the "best offer I had" Would be interested to see the numbers once available.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Bees like flowers and not weeds. Gordon to KC. Sherman to TB. No one to Seattle.

xray

Reaction score
Be nice to of gotten Sherman and kept KJ Wright too . Letting KJ walk was a big mistake .IMO They both are with better off without the Hawks though.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":1ecfeu49 said:
I'm not sure I believe Pete wanted him.

I could believe that. Interesting that the last two good FA signings went to the two Super Bowl teams from last year. Interesting but not unusual or unexpected.

94Smith

Reaction score
I would bet money he doesn't last the season. I think his achilles/calf muscles will give him trouble like they did last year

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
He is going to a place with a coach that listens to their players.

With a better record and a chance in the playoffs.

Of course, he is going to pick that over here unless there is a massive $ difference in that decision.

But the ship for getting great vets that will take 1-year deals for the chance to play for the Seahawks has probably already sailed. We are going to be back with the rest of the pack as far as attractiveness as a landing place, maybe near the bottom until we can show we can win again.

iigakusei

Reaction score
I would have been surprised if he signed for the Hawks. He is too smart to want to play for the worst defense in the league.

chris98251

Reaction score
He is going to a place that respects competitive attitudes, Brady Suh, Sherman, Arians for that matter, he can be himself and get paid and possible get another ring, what's not to like if your Sherman.

Did anyone see Wilson reach out to him?

Brady did, and he was given that man crap at every turn as a competitor.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
Sherm did his best to burn this place down on his way out and even though it seems he and Pete are now amicable its hard to see how Sherm could fall in line without clashing again.
As far as Russ not reaching out like Lord Brady I’m pretty sure half this board has said he should just shut up and play ball and not be the GM…which is it
Personally I don’t think Sherm has much left. He could’ve brought a little stability and swag but I’m not sure much else.

And let’s be real, if the Hawks signed him Goodell would’ve suspended him. Now that it’s the Bucs and Brady I anticipate no punishment for his unjustified and unbecoming incident. He is lucky he is not dead…

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Flyingsquad23":2r1n0rgh said:
Sherm did his best to burn this place down on his way out .

Yup. And that's why the next time you'll see him invited back to be in a Hawk uniform is in a couple of decades when he's hoisting up the flag.

Pete moved off of him because Sherm, like a number of other boisterous personalities back in the day, were becoming toxic. Sherm is clearly very bright, and he could have taught the young CBs a lot about playing the positon. But at this stage of his career, and after the arrest, he's just not with the effort.

sutz

Reaction score
Three things:

1. As mentioned above, his personality and his relationship with the coaches re: past behavior.

2. Health issues. When's the last time he played a full season? Will he last a full season?

3. Legal issues. All that domestic violence stuff is still hanging out there.

Too many issues. While it would be intriguing to see if he could help us out, it would not be a risk free signing.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
sutz":28pjcwni said:
Three things:

1. As mentioned above, his personality and his relationship with the coaches re: past behavior.

2. Health issues. When's the last time he played a full season? Will he last a full season?

3. Legal issues. All that domestic violence stuff is still hanging out there.

Too many issues. While it would be intriguing to see if he could help us out, it would not be a risk free signing.

Great points. I think the legal issues was a big factor. Had that not happened, I believe the Seahawks would have made more of an effort to sign him.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
I wish Sherman well but I find it funny how he is completely cured of his mental struggles and put his not yet adjudicated criminal escapades behind him. Gordon stayed suspended for years yet a player with a current criminal case is ok to join the BradyBucs…

Side note KJ has all of 4 tackles…but I guess he is better off without the Hawks?