NFL to stop regular testing of vaccinated asymptomatic

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Under the new policy, fully vaccinated and asymptomatic players will not be tested unless they request a test or have had a high-risk contact, or if the league’s medical staff believes targeted testing is needed. Previously, regular testing of vaccinated players was conducted once a week.

The new policy will likely result in some vaccinated players having COVID-19 and not knowing it, and still practicing and playing. But given how effective the vaccines are at preventing vaccinated individuals from getting seriously ill, the league and union have decided that’s justified. The vast majority of NFL players are fully vaccinated.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... virtually/

In addition, the NFL decided beforehand that anyone who tested positive would have a 90 day testing break. So now that they aren't going to be regularly testing vaccinated asymptomatics any more, the odds that someone will be playing while positive will increase.

Which I can see.

The 100 people on the list now were overwhelmingly vaccinated but showed mild to no symptoms. Most of them played the day before, Sunday, before being tested Monday. NFL will not have more games missed any more.

9er4life

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":2ngapwz5 said:
Under the new policy, fully vaccinated and asymptomatic players will not be tested unless they request a test or have had a high-risk contact, or if the league’s medical staff believes targeted testing is needed. Previously, regular testing of vaccinated players was conducted once a week.

The new policy will likely result in some vaccinated players having COVID-19 and not knowing it, and still practicing and playing. But given how effective the vaccines are at preventing vaccinated individuals from getting seriously ill, the league and union have decided that’s justified. The vast majority of NFL players are fully vaccinated.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... virtually/

In addition, the NFL decided beforehand that anyone who tested positive would have a 90 day testing break. So now that they aren't going to be regularly testing vaccinated asymptomatics any more, the odds that someone will be playing while positive will increase.

Which I can see.

The 100 people on the list now were overwhelmingly vaccinated but showed mild to no symptoms. Most of them played the day before, Sunday, before being tested Monday. NFL will not have more games missed any more.

$$$$ or Science? I'll go with money.

cymatica

Reaction score
What's the difference between vaccinated and unvaccinated asymptomatic?

cymatica

Reaction score
In other words, it has nothing to do with safety or science

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
9er4life":22a931j1 said:
cymatica":22a931j1 said:

Has it ever? All about the $$$"

...says a fan of the team that will most benefit from the new policy. The Rams had to sit 25 players and when they got ready, we had to sit nine. Most were asymptomatic.

I have no idea how y'all managed to stay this clean through all this, but with all y'all going up to party in SF that wouldn't have lasted.

RiverDog

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":2t3dlsy9 said:
9er4life":2t3dlsy9 said:
cymatica":2t3dlsy9 said:

Has it ever? All about the $$$"

...says a fan of the team that will most benefit from the new policy. The Rams had to sit 25 players and when they got ready, we had to sit nine. Most were asymptomatic.

I have no idea how y'all managed to stay this clean through all this, but with all y'all going up to party in SF that wouldn't have lasted.

I don't wish to engage in another vaccine debate, but my understanding of the difference between vaccinated and unvaccinated asymptomatic cases is that the viral load starts out the same in both but drops much more rapidly in a vaccinated individual, which is the science that the league was basing their policy on and why they allowed a vaccinated positive to return earlier than an unvaccinated one.

Some recent studies have shown similar peak viral loads in vaccinated people compared to unvaccinated people who contract COVID. This has raised concerns for the efficacy of vaccines for preventing transmission.

But vaccinated people clear the virus faster, with lower levels of virus overall, and have less time with very high levels of virus present.

Therefore, vaccinated people are, on average, likely to be less contagious.

https://theconversation.com/no-vaccinat ... vid-171302