Congrats Niners! What do the playoff prospects look like?

olyfan63

Reaction score
Congratulations to the Niners on making the Rams your bi... er, beating the Rams once again. Terrific comeback!

I had stale information and was thinking it would be Trey Lance instead of Jimmy G vs the Rams. That pass rush the Niners have... saves the day once again, and will be a force to be reckoned with in the playoffs.

What do the playoff prospects look like? Should we bet on whoever the Niners opponent is? My uninformed take is that the Niners have a power running game and pass rush that cause problems for any and all NFC playoff opponents, and it comes down to Jimmy G protecting the ball/no brain farts, and enough decent secondary players being available, and/or the Niners pass rush making good CB play optional.

Stanley

Reaction score
You pretty much nailed it.

Will Jimmy be able to limit bonehead plays.
Can the CB's hold up downfield.

Furthermore, the 49ers will be the healthiest they've been all season against the Cowboys.

9er4life

Reaction score
I think we have double edge sword in having Jimmy and TL. Not going to have both playing necessarily but DCs still have to plan for both.

Cowboys have solid D line but I don't think they're as good as the Rams. Their secondary definitely isn't as stout, so as long as Jimmy doesn't pull any Jimmy gimmies they should be fine on offense.

Cowboys record has a lot of wins against bad teams so its hard to gauge how good they are.

NJlargent

Reaction score
The niners appear to be more healthy then they have been. They also have momentum after the game yesterday. I actually think they are winning the super bowl. The will beat Dallas, they own GB in playoffs and then have momentum in the NFC championship. I like them over the Rams or Cards.

Whatever the odds are, it is worthy of a bet.

Stud

Reaction score
NJlargent":18fifv5h said:
The niners appear to be more healthy then they have been. They also have momentum after the game yesterday. I actually think they are winning the super bowl. The will beat Dallas, they own GB in playoffs and then have momentum in the NFC championship. I like them over the Rams or Cards.

Meh, I'd love to win it all, but not sure. Just making the playoffs is a win after we were 3-5 and had just lost to Arizona's backup squad. To go 7-2 the last 9 games to make the playoffs was amazing.

OP
OP
olyfan63

olyfan63

Reaction score
Stud":xsdnacnq said:
NJlargent":xsdnacnq said:

Meh, I'd love to win it all, but not sure. Just making the playoffs is a win after we were 3-5 and had just lost to Arizona's backup squad. To go 7-2 the last 9 games to make the playoffs was amazing.
LOL, you have almost the same irreverence towards the hot-and-cold Niners as towards the hated Seahawks. If I was near you I'd hit the Dollar Store and buy you a pair of rose-colored fan glasses for the playoffs.

I like the Niners odds vs the Cowboys. I think the 49ers D will pressure and sack Dak, get a pick or two. If I'm wrong, and Dallass' O-Line gives Dak time to hit his playmakers, it could be a high-scoring game.

On the offensive side, I think the 49ers will be able to run effectively on the Cowboys D, and have several long drives, and generally have the Dallas D gassed by the 4th quarter. Plus Niners have some terrific playmakers in Deebo, Aiyuk, and Kittle. So really it comes down to JimmyG protecting the ball.

OK, so what key matchups am I missing? What key injuries are affecting the matchups? I don't really know that much about the state of the 49ers or Cowboys secondary.

Prediction: 49ers 31, Cowboys 20.
- Dak gets sacked a couple times in the Red Zone, Cowboys settle for FGs instead of TD
- Niners score twice (or more) in the 4th quarter to pull away in an otherwise close game.

chris98251

Reaction score
Cowboys have been on a tear, I see a curb stomping, pressure game and Jimmie folds like an Origami art piece.

9er4life

Reaction score
chris98251":3u895opu said:
Cowboys have been on a tear, I see a curb stomping, pressure game and Jimmie folds like an Origami art piece.

Who have the Cowgirls beaten on this "tear"?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Niners have a good chance to win this one. Just have to figure out if the secondary can hold up.

But they are built to beat the Cowboys with the exception of the secondary.

9er4life

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":38lap2m7 said:
Niners have a good chance to win this one. Just have to figure out if the secondary can hold up.

But they are built to beat the Cowboys with the exception of the secondary.

9ers have a lot of guys coming back from injuries and covid. Secondary has been improving and hopefully pass rush makes Prescott very uncomfortable to the point he throws picks.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
The only way I see a 49ers win at this point is if Good Jimmy shows up 95+ percent. As opposed to 50 percent as in the Rams game.

Same goes for other pieces. The pass rush. Run stoppers. Special teams (you can't expect Gould to be both the punter and kicker for two games straight). It's all gotta be in 95 percent working order.

For the Cowboys, that's around 75 to 80 percent.

OP
OP
olyfan63

olyfan63

Reaction score
chris98251":1o99erks said:
I had forgotten that Dan Quinn is Dallas' Defensive Coordinator.

So this means the game will come down to the last drive, 49ers down 6, driving, on the Cowboys 10 yard line, JimmyG drops back to pass, spots Aiyuk on a corner fade, lofts the pass, and... shades of Dwight Clark!

Now realizing Cowboys DC is Dan Quinn, I'll have to adjust my score prediction. 49ers 27, Cowboys 20.

94Smith

Reaction score
This is all going to come down to whether the 49ers can run the ball vs the Cowboys. The Cowboys are an excellent team with #1 overall DVOA and the #2 pass defense DVOA. But they are more susceptible to running with the #16 overall DVOA run defense and a 4.5 ypc average (about 21 st in the league). I think their overall run yardage is low because teams fell behind big against them a lot.

49ers formula is going to be what it always is. They are going to run the ball relentlessly . The defense is going to be challenged, but I think if we can keep this game close and not get away from running the ball should stand a chance. It will be interesting who wins between Dallas Oline vs SF Dline. Dallas has the best Oline in the league IMO. If the 49ers can not generate pressure against Dak on 3rd down, they will lose.

It will also be interesting to see how many 49ers fans are at this game and whehter they can impact the Cowboys by generating crowd noise. The last game the 49ers had in Dallas was about 50 percent 49ers fans and there are a lot of fans in the DFW area. Playoffs is always different though

HawkOG70’

Reaction score
94Smith":d7hrt2v4 said:
This is all going to come down to whether the 49ers can run the ball vs the Cowboys. The Cowboys are an excellent team with #1 overall DVOA and the #2 pass defense DVOA. But they are more susceptible to running with the #16 overall DVOA run defense and a 4.5 ypc average (about 21 st in the league). I think their overall run yardage is low because teams fell behind big against them a lot.

49ers formula is going to be what it always is. They are going to run the ball relentlessly . The defense is going to be challenged, but I think if we can keep this game close and not get away from running the ball should stand a chance. It will be interesting who wins between Dallas Oline vs SF Dline. Dallas has the best Oline in the league IMO. If the 49ers can not generate pressure against Dak on 3rd down, they will lose.

It will also be interesting to see how many 49ers fans are at this game and whehter they can impact the Cowboys by generating crowd noise. The last game the 49ers had in Dallas was about 50 percent 49ers fans and there are a lot of fans in the DFW area. Playoffs is always different though
Congrats on the win over the Rams guy. What does it mean? Nothing in the grand scheme of things. A few more days of football if anything else. Was it a fluke? No....the Rams are literally Kupp and Donald and the rest of their team is putrid. Plus they are screwed like the Ninners moving forward. Maybe not as bad as the Niners but they are screwed. John Lynch screwed the 49ers for years to come. It's one thing if thgey were elite but they are very average at best

9er4life

Reaction score
ArlosSpecial":1ev79wpw said:
94Smith":1ev79wpw said:

Congrats on the win over the Rams guy. What does it mean? Nothing in the grand scheme of things. A few more days of football if anything else. Was it a fluke? No....the Rams are literally Kupp and Donald and the rest of their team is putrid. Plus they are screwed like the Ninners moving forward. Maybe not as bad as the Niners but they are screwed. John Lynch screwed the 49ers for years to come. It's one thing if thgey were elite but they are very average at best

Your post do one of two things. #1 show your complete lack of actual football knowledge. #2 your immaturity.

94Smith

Reaction score
ArlosSpecial":3vewfe0s said:
What does it mean? Nothing in the grand scheme of things. A few more days of football if anything else.
[/quote]

So basically exactly how the Seahawks have ended the 2020, 2019, 2018, 2016, 2015 playoffs. One superbowl does not make a franchise great Arlos! 7-10

chris98251

Reaction score
94Smith":1lmk544l said:

It will be Cowboy dominant I think, Houston fans will flock there also just to be part of something winning.

Cowboys have got some D line guys back over the last few weeks and their pass rush is legit, in their house the Refs will be tough. If there is a tilt the field conspiracy theory it will favor Jerry and the Cowboys, they want that marketing up and Dallas successful sells, it sells even when they suck, but goes through the roof when they are winning.

9er4life

Reaction score
chris98251":2nwfr7io said:
94Smith":2nwfr7io said:

It will be Cowboy dominant I think, Houston fans will flock there also just to be part of something winning.

Cowboys have got some D line guys back over the last few weeks and their pass rush is legit, in their house the Refs will be tough. If there is a tilt the field conspiracy theory it will favor Jerry and the Cowboys, they want that marketing up and Dallas successful sells, it sells even when they suck, but goes through the roof when they are winning.

Still waiting for you to say what teams they beat when they went on the "tear" you spoke of.

There's is one of the weakest division in the NFL so theres 6 wins. They beat Atlanta, Carolina, Minnesota but lost to Denver. I don't think they've beaten any team thats in the playoffs accept Philly but they played all there scrubs and kept starters out so not really counting that.

I'm not saying they're push overs but not really impressed with there winning.

NINEster

Reaction score
94Smith":3szfypmc said:
ArlosSpecial":3szfypmc said:
What does it mean? Nothing in the grand scheme of things. A few more days of football if anything else.

So basically exactly how the Seahawks have ended the 2020, 2019, 2018, 2016, 2015 playoffs. One superbowl does not make a franchise great Arlos! 7-10[/quote]

Haha, damn.

HawkOG70’

Reaction score
NINEster":1nhj3b13 said:
94Smith":1nhj3b13 said:
ArlosSpecial":1nhj3b13 said:

So basically exactly how the Seahawks have ended the 2020, 2019, 2018, 2016, 2015 playoffs. One superbowl does not make a franchise great Arlos! 7-10

Haha, damn.[/quote]
Yup and we had to hear "you'll be on the couch next week with us watching" from y'all
How does it feel now that the shoe is on the other foot?
Childish? I hope so guy
Take a seat and reflect on your past years of jealousy