How Sweet would a 9ers and cards tie be?

Axx

Reaction score
I can only imagine the 9ers forums if this were to happen

OP
OP
Axx

Axx

Reaction score
we would win the division if they tie.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
I'd rather see the Cardinals win 42-13. Any card victory would cause a meltdown of epic proportion.

I can't wait to see that team and fan base turn on Harbaugh and I am convinced it will happen.

rideaducati

Reaction score
hawksfan515":13tr26i1 said:
Axx":13tr26i1 said:

Actually a 9ers win or tie means they win the division. Read this from Sando, so don't expect me to explain it.

You could try to explain it, but it would be either wrong or impossible if Seattle wins their game. If Seattle wins and the niners tie, the Seahawks win the division because they have one more win than the whiners.

jewhawk

Reaction score
hawksfan515":3uuapz87 said:
Axx":3uuapz87 said:

Actually a 9ers win or tie means they win the division. Read this from Sando, so don't expect me to explain it.
This is correct. For the purposes of standings, ties are calculated as half a win and half a loss, so assuming a win over the Rams and a 49ers-Cardinals tie, San Francisco's 10-4-2 record would be identical to our 11-5 record as both would be a 0.6785 W-L-T percentage.

The first tiebreaker is head-to-head, which was split 1-1.

The second tiebreaker is division record. Again, because ties count as half a win and half a loss, the 49ers' 2-2-2 division record would be identical to our 3-3 division record (0.500 W-L-T percentage).

The third tiebreaker is record against common opponents. Our common opponents with the 49ers are Cardinals twice, Rams twice, Packers, Bears, Vikings, Lions, Patriots, Dolphins, Jets, and Bills. In those 12 games, we would have an 8-4 record (0.667 W-L-T percentage) and the 49ers would have an 8-2-2 record (0.750 W-L-T percentage) and they would win the division.

Go Cardinals! Don't settle for a tie!

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Ties still counting for half a win is BS. Lame. Why wouldn't it break down further than record against common opponents, though?

hawksfan515

Reaction score
jewhawk":2g3np426 said:
hawksfan515":2g3np426 said:
Axx":2g3np426 said:

This is correct. For the purposes of standings, ties are calculated as half a win and half a loss, so assuming a win over the Rams and a 49ers-Cardinals tie, San Francisco's 10-4-2 record would be identical to our 11-5 record as both would be a 0.6785 W-L-T percentage.

The first tiebreaker is head-to-head, which was split 1-1.

The second tiebreaker is division record. Again, because ties count as half a win and half a loss, the 49ers' 2-2-2 division record would be identical to our 3-3 division record (0.500 W-L-T percentage).

The third tiebreaker is record against common opponents. Our common opponents with the 49ers are Cardinals twice, Rams twice, Packers, Bears, Vikings, Lions, Patriots, Dolphins, Jets, and Bills. In those 12 games, we would have an 8-4 record (0.667 W-L-T percentage) and the 49ers would have an 8-2-2 record (0.750 W-L-T percentage) and they would win the division.

Go Cardinals! Don't settle for a tie!

Thanks jewhawk :th2thumbs:

hawksfan515

Reaction score
RichNhansom":ars0kxek said:
I'd rather see the Cardinals win 42-13. Any card victory would cause a meltdown of epic proportion.

I can't wait to see that team and fan base turn on Harbaugh and I am convinced it will happen.

Ties count as half a win and half a loss, so two ties= 1 win and 1 loss

Then the 9ers would trump us, as jewhawk beautifully explained.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
I thought the third tiebreaker was conference record. If that is correct then a win for us would give us a 8-4 conference record and a tie for them would give them a 6-4-2 equaling 7-5. That would give us the division.

Question is, does common opponent come before conference record?

Edit: looks like I am wrong.

To Break a Tie Within a Division

If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.

Two Clubs

1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
5. Strength of victory.
6. Strength of schedule.
7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
9. Best net points in common games.
10. Best net points in all games.
11. Best net touchdowns in all games.

pehawk

Reaction score
I've been following Dockett this week on twitter. He's LITERALLY making his offseason plans and "can't wait to hit reset on football season". He's not even going to show up tomorrow. SUCKS!

Twisted

Reaction score
jewhawk":1y73lcje said:

doesn't it go best win, then best loss then best tie?

if the niners tied seems to me the Hawks would win with the best win record? if win record is tied it would go to best loss record, thats why if the niners lost and hawks win the hawks get it, hawks 11 wins niners with 10

so if the the niners tied they would still have just 10 wins and the hawks have 11, hawks would get it.. win, loss, tie.. seems to me if it was calculated by win/loss/tie percentage the rules would state that, best win/loss/tie %... niners had to WIN that game

maybe that needs clarification?