Gonzaga BB 2020/21 season

getnasty

Reaction score
Natethegreat":275t6t0y said:
Sounds like Tommy Loyd will be leaving Gonzaga for Arizona job. Big loss for the GU program. Not that they can't overcome it but he was in line to take over if Few left and is widely regarded as a stand up guy who is a great recruiter and a knowledgeable capable coach.

Yeah Loyd will be a huge loss. He's done really well at keeping foreign kids to come to GU.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Zags will stay in the WCC. With no football team, the Pac-12 won’t take them in, and I doubt the Mountain West will either. Their market is also small so they won’t add much money to either conference. In short, Zags would add close to nothing in terms of finances.

I think hiring Lloyd is a little odd. Just feels like a dice roll by Arizona. Just because you are an assistant for a great coach doesn’t mean that makes you a head coach. It probably is a big loss for Gonzaga, but they will be fine. As long as Few is there they will continue to do what they’ve been doing. Winning a lot in the season and then choking in the end. Yeah I couldn’t resist throwing in a jab there.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Haha! Don't forget winning a lot in the tournament as well. GU has the most wins of any program in the tournament in the last 5 years. I don't think losing Tommy will change that too much, but by all accounts he is ready made to step into a head coaching job. Good recruiter and a great X's and O's guy as well.
From what I read a well funded booster had one of his kids as a grad assistant at GU and he is the one pushing for Loyd. Apparently its not a done deal yet though. Some are saying its done and they are just going thrugh the motions and others say its not decided yet.

Edit: I know this though. Few and the AD at GU want him to stay.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
As was expected Joel Ayiyi is leaving for the NBA. Already signed an agent so no going back. Obviously Kispert is gone as well, along with Suggs. The only real question is if Timme comes back. It would make sense for him to do so as I'm not sure if he would be drafted and he could use a year to work on shooting and strength that could help his draft stock.

Who knows though, Norvell left for the NBA and I thought it was a mistake and as I expected he was not drafted. He is playing in the G league though so maybe he works his way up some day.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
I love Timme, but I just don't think his low-post shenanigans translate to the NBA. Maybe another year... or maybe he's just a really good college player.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Looking very much like Arizona got too cute by flirting with Musselman (who used them to get a raise) and Lloyd decided he wasn't interested in the job any more. Huge win for the GU program imo.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Well, I spoke too soon. Lloyd to Arizona is indeed happening. There alumni do not seem to be on board but I think this is a great hire. Also their teams will be watchable again and not be like watching paint dry.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Time will tell on how good of a coach he will be. You never know when you hire an assistant. Tough loss for Gonzaga, any chance he can get Holmgren to follow him?

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3vtkim4k said:
Time will tell on how good of a coach he will be. You never know when you hire an assistant. Tough loss for Gonzaga, any chance he can get Holmgren to follow him?
My understanding is that Chet is still planning on committing to GU. I also read that Chet was basically recruited by the entire staff not just Lloyd. I do know that Fanbo Zeng (highly thought of foreign player) was a Lloyd recruit but again I read that part of the deal with him leaving was he was not taking recruits or coaches with him but I have no direct knowledge

Edit: There is now way this is anything but a huge loss for GU. Lloyd brought in guys like Turiaf, Domantis Sabonis, Rui Hachimura, Joel Ayiyi, and I think Kelly Olynick but basically all their overseas players.
I don't think it affects their incoming class but it remains to be seen how it affects our recruits going forward.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
I'm nearing rumblings that Jalen Suggs would actually like to stay another year, so he can play with Holmgren, Harris and Strawther....

I'm almost certain logic will prevail in the end, but it is interesting he hasn't declared yet, considering Ayayi declared a week ago.

As for Tommy -- I suspect GU isn't relying on international guys as much going forward. The last few (Ballo, Zacharov, Arlauskas) haven't really done much. Now that Gonzaga is in the mix for top national recruits, I think they'll be fine. Important to remember that if Few was planning on retiring in the next few years, Tommy would have stuck around.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Chet holmgren to the Zags! Suggs is going to the draft. Thats a near certainty. Zags will be really young but also really talented next year.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Holmgren, Timme, Gregg, Watson, Strawther, Nembhardt, Sallis & Harris is a nice 8 man rotation.

One thing I get annoyed with Few is he gets down to about a 6 1/2 player rotation by the tournament. Seems like having a more versatile rotation.helps to manage matchups and handle fouls issues.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
[youtube]C5PzPC94TvA[/youtube]

Adam Morrison's first podcast is with Corey Kispert --- and it's fantastic.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Jerhawk":14ix8mkh said:
Sports Hernia":14ix8mkh said:
Playing in that crap conference doesn’t help the Zags when it comes to the tournament IMHO.
They are obviously superior than the weak sisters they play on a regular basis.

Iron sharpens iron.

I try to tell this to my fellow Spokanites for the past 15 years and they come at me with tar and feathers.

But you're exactly right. The WCC is weak. The teams in the tournament are bigger, stronger and faster. They're not ready for it.

Gonzaga did have a great out of conference schedule this year, but their conference stinks

They say the same thing about the Patriots (while Brady was there) and they had no issue winning championships. The WCC is weak and Gonzaga was getting exposed for it when they were getting bounced in the first or second round year after year. But when they are making it to the final four and championship game, then they've already played tough teams to get there and it's not the case of weak conference anymore. This is just a case of Gonzaga was not as good as Baylor and Mark Few's Zags the way he coaches and recruits is all about Finesse. Which is a bad match up when they finally go against a tough aggressive physical team. I get so tired of these super big, efficient but soft guys on the interior. Sadly Chet seems the same way too. Need a Ronny Turiaf or even Bautista back in the inside. Also for whatever reason the perimeter shooters for the Zags always get cold in the tournament (this may be a case of weak conference where these players are not used to shooting 3s under pressure).

Outside of BYU and sometimes St. Marys (I blame the NCAA for picking on St Marys over their blue chip teams when they wanted to make an example) the WCC is a joke though. But the Zags are stuck there. What else can they do? I'd love to see the Zags just start spotting the WCC teams 10 points every game moving forward to force their guys to play under pressure given the weak conference.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
IndyHawk":3lnpwfy8 said:
Fact:Few is 0-8 against #1 seed teams...

This is an interesting stat but the other thing to think about was how often when playing against a #1 were the Zags a #1 seed themselves? So in that case they are supposed to lose that game. I'm going to guess twice. This time against Baylor (and they got smoked) and last time against UNC (which was down to the wire). The other thing to think about is the two times the Zags did make it to the championship game, they had to BEAT a team that beat the #1 seed as well if the #1 wasn't there to begin with.