The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
sutz":3vzm4w85 said:
Threedee":3vzm4w85 said:
Sports Hernia":3vzm4w85 said:
Think I’m tuning this team out until Kelenic and friends get called up.
Not worth my time watching this crap.

I wonder if they are having a reaction to the Zduriencik years, where players were being brought up and not developing into successful pros. Many speculated that they were failing because they were being brought up too early. Nowadays, the memo to DiPoto and Servais might be to wait as long as possible on these matters. Because, otherwise I've got nothing in terms of speculating about what the **** is going on.
We have one example of that right now. It is pretty apparent that Evan White can't hit major league pitching. He desperately needs some time at AAA and I expect him to be sent down to Tacoma soon. His gold glove at 1st base doesn't warrant his abysmal performance at the plate. Corner infielders need to hit better than .200. I know folks are saying, "That won't happen with Kelenic or Julio" but I'm not convinced. Bringing kids up that fast doesn't work that often. The majority of the time it just gets them in trouble. Some are called up, only to fail and never recover. Others can take years to figure it out.

We're all impatient for the brass ring. But rushing the process is the wrong approach. Y'all gonna do what you do. I'll keep hanging in there.
The talent level between White and Kelenic isn’t in the same universe.
The reason Kelenic isn’t up isnt because he’s not ready, it’s purely finically driven.
Seattle thinks they will save dollars down the road and hang on to JK a year longer, which they are dead wrong about, on both.

The Mariners have never been about winning, they are about making money.
There are 2 ways to make money, do what they are doing, putting out a crap product and hope enough people love baseball and show up, and live off their TV contracts, or take big risks and go out and spend big dollars and put a perennial winner on the field. They are risk adverse and take the safer road most of the time.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia, I love baseball but I'm not going to act like I'm super smart/savvy when it comes to the game. So please don't take my question as being condescending.

My question to you: We saw what happened to Dustin Ackley and Justin Smoke. I'm afraid were starting to see it with White.Why are you convinced that Kelenic will succeed where those players have failed?

I know he's a top prospect and talked highly about, but weren't those other guys? Why is he any different?

OP
OP
IndyHawk

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Jerhawk":34x9em7m said:
Sports Hernia, I love baseball but I'm not going to act like I'm super smart/savvy when it comes to the game. So please don't take my question as being condescending.

My question to you: We saw what happened to Dustin Ackley and Justin Smoke. I'm afraid were starting to see it with White.Why are you convinced that Kelenic will succeed where those players have failed?

I know he's a top prospect and talked highly about, but weren't those other guys? Why is he any different?
Good question(s) I think SH hide is chapped right now. :snack:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Jerhawk":ejit5hrp said:

I had a post all typed out and it didn’t go thru. :x

Long story short, lots of 1st round picks fail, baseball is hard. It’s a sport where your best players fail at least 65% of the time when a bat is in their hands. Smoak still has hit almost 200 homeruns, but still has had an underwhelming career.

Sometimes, it’s drive, desire, or injuries why high draft picks fail.

Kelenic has the drive, desire, swagger, confidence, and talent to succeed.
He is baseball’s version of a gym rat. His family owns indoor baseball facilities where he is at working out just about everyday during offseason. He has hit at every level he has been at.

I don’t know whats with the recent insistence that players have to play in AAA before they come to the bigs.
Just off the top of my head Ken Griffey Jr, Jon Olerud, and Kyle Lewis played exactly zero innings each of AAA baseball outside of a rehab stint for Griffey.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Kelenic to be called up very soon. I think JD knows we have good pitching but need hitting.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Kyle Lewis getting thrown out trying to get back to 2nd on a fly ball was about the most infuriating thing that's happened all season.

Threedee

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":15b03h52 said:
Kyle Lewis getting thrown out trying to get back to 2nd on a fly ball was about the most infuriating thing that's happened all season.

I used to get so pissed-off circa 2010-2013ish when the M's transformed into one of the most inept baserunning teams imaginable. The lowest moment came on Jackie Robinson Day in LA when Cano came walking home from third, forgetting that there was no runner on second.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Threedee":304p6ev6 said:
XxXdragonXxX":304p6ev6 said:

I used to get so pissed-off circa 2010-2013ish when the M's transformed into one of the most inept baserunning teams imaginable. The lowest moment came on Jackie Robinson Day in LA when Cano came walking home from third, forgetting that there was no runner on second.
Don’t get me started on Cano’s brain farts on the bases.
I blame the HGH and steroid use.

Crizilla

Reaction score
M's right now have a better record than the dodgers if that makes anyone feel better. Somehow someway.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Crizilla":vnu0hocr said:
M's right now have a better record than the dodgers if that makes anyone feel better. Somehow someway.
Wanna see something crazy? Compare their run differentials. I think LAD have the best in the league and Seattle has one of the worst.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Seriously entertaining games the last two nights. It's awesome seeing some bats come around. France is still slumping bad. I hope he isn't just another Taylor Motter type.

BUT.....this six man rotation Servais has going on needs to stop. His use of the bullpen as "starters" is not working. It puts the pen in a tough spot because he goes through so many of them in one game and leaves a hole in the pen going into the next game. Newsome is trash in this role. I'm sorry, but he is. It stinks he got injured tonight, but he's shown in the past he isn't built for sustaining a lead in relief.

One alarming observation from tonight's game is that Kyle Lewis looked like an absolute slug rounding the bases on that final out. It's a damn shame seeing his athleticism sapped like that, which is most likely due to the effects of that knee injury.

Also, Torrens blew that game with his bone headed error.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Since I’d rather not talk about the self inflicted wounds about tonight’s game....

Kelenic watch: tonight: 2-4, 2 rbi
Overall .429 BA 1.357 OPS, 2HR, 5RBI

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":119lvl5u said:
One alarming observation from tonight's game is that Kyle Lewis looked like an absolute slug rounding the bases on that final out. It's a damn shame seeing his athleticism sapped like that, which is most likely due to the effects of that knee injury.

Also, Torrens blew that game with his bone headed error.

Great post. I agree with everything you said. I highlighted these 2 points.

Hopefully Lewis is still recovering. Sometimes it takes a little bit before players get that burst back. Fingers crossed its soon for Lewis.

Torrens' mistake was unacceptable. As a major League player, I don't understand how that can happen. Unbelievable. That's something you learn at a young age.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":3s33l0io said:
Kelenic has had 2 hits in every game so far. Batting .444 with 2 HRs and 5 RBIs. He's making a statement.
Also a 1.278 OPS, and 2 stolen bases.

He’s making the M’s front office - ownership look like the fools they are for him not making the club out of Spring Training.