Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread

Discuss any and all other sports-related topics. From the College Sports, Fantasy Sports, Archery to Water Polo and everything in between. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Mon May 31, 2021 12:16 pm
  • sutz wrote:
    balakoth wrote:Here's an idea... with a 130.... MOVE HIM OUT OF LEAD OFFF>>>>>>>> WTF

I've been saying this for a month. :229031_shrug:

He's here like you all wanted so bad and now you want him moved
    from the lead spot?I trust the M's staff to have a good reason to keep
    him there and if he's great he will figure it out soon enough.
    As for the rookie Gilbert he had a nice outing last time so give him his
    chances the guy is learning and not everyone is a Kerry Wood off the
    bat lol..I like our pitchers and I think they have done a great job in
    getting them developed.Dunn,Kikuchi,Sheff all doing better as season
    goes along.Marco is coming back soon so hopefully the Pax injury is
    a distant memory.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon May 31, 2021 1:32 pm
  • IndyHawk wrote:
    sutz wrote:
    balakoth wrote:Here's an idea... with a 130.... MOVE HIM OUT OF LEAD OFFF>>>>>>>> WTF

a distant memory.

Well, I was one of the ones thinking it was a bit soon to call him up. IMO he needed more than a handful of games at AAA, but he's up now. I'm not advocating sending him back to Tacoma just yet, though that might be necessary if the futility contiues. But I have been advocating since about the 3-4th game that he should not be leading off for the good of the team. Haniger was settling in nicely at leadoff and should have stayed there. JK needs to be down at 4 or 5 where he can be protected by hitters around him, not exposed every day by batting first.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Mon May 31, 2021 3:17 pm
  • sutz wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:
    sutz wrote:

a distant memory.

Well, I was one of the ones thinking it was a bit soon to call him up. IMO he needed more than a handful of games at AAA, but he's up now. I'm not advocating sending him back to Tacoma just yet, though that might be necessary if the futility contiues. But I have been advocating since about the 3-4th game that he should not be leading off for the good of the team. Haniger was settling in nicely at leadoff and should have stayed there. JK needs to be down at 4 or 5 where he can be protected by hitters around him, not exposed every day by batting first.

He’s not a lead off hitter at this time. It’s stupid to keep him there.
    Move him to 2nd or 6th and have Mitch lead off.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon May 31, 2021 4:42 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    sutz wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:
    sutz wrote:I've been saying this for a month. :229031_shrug:

a distant memory.

I'd like to see Crawford leadoff but Kelenic to 6 sounds about right.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Mon May 31, 2021 5:24 pm
  • Crazy game. Gilbert did well, but he still needs to work on locating his breaking stuff, and sounds like he could use a change up. But a quality start, 6 innings, 5 hits, 2 runs with only 1 walk.

Used the bullpen a bit more than we wanted to, with Marco going tomorrow and probably won't go farther than 3-4 innings. I suspect we'll break our win streak tomorrow.

Been getting a lot more production from the 'other guys' in the lineup. France is back to form and Murph with that walkoff sac fly was pretty clutch bottom 10. Kelenic caught looking at strike 3 with the winning run on 3rd. :34853_doh:

Now Lewis has a sore knee. No word yet how serious. Probably won't know for a day or so.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:44 pm
  • Kyle Lewis to the IL with a small meniscus tear. Of freaking course...

Haniger was DH on Sunday, off yesterday, and DH again today. Probably some small injury for him as well

That makes for an OF of Fraley, Kelenic, Trammell. We'll see if Trammell can keep hitting like he was in Tacoma.

Kelenic is batting 6th tonight with JP leading off.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:12 pm
  • XxXdragonXxX wrote:Kyle Lewis to the IL with a small meniscus tear. Of freaking course...

Haniger was DH on Sunday, off yesterday, and DH again today. Probably some small injury for him as well

That makes for an OF of Fraley, Kelenic, Trammell. We'll see if Trammell can keep hitting like he was in Tacoma.

Kelenic is batting 6th tonight with JP leading off.

Glad they dropped Kelenic in the order. Needed to happen.
    Don’t get Frahley batting 5th though, makes no sense. I mean he has a cool beard and all but....
    Would rather have Murphy hit 5th.

Hopefully Trammell hits like he did in Tacoma and forgets about his strikeout habit he had earlier up here.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:19 pm
  • getnasty wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    sutz wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:He's here like you all wanted so bad and now you want him moved
    a distant memory.

I'd like to see Crawford leadoff but Kelenic to 6 sounds about right.

Fianlly Servis is listening to me.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:10 pm
  • Lot of loud boos when Kelenic just struck out in the 4th inning. Then Trammel hits a HR right after him.

I think it would benefit Kelenic to send him down to Tacoma for a month or so to get back on track. Both mentally and with his swing. Build his confidence back up
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:03 pm
  • Jerhawk wrote:Lot of loud boos when Kelenic just struck out in the 4th inning. Then Trammel hits a HR right after him.

I think it would benefit Kelenic to send him down to Tacoma for a month or so to get back on track. Both mentally and with his swing. Build his confidence back up

I agree. They can't let this continue. This is absolutely brutal watching this kid struggle this badly.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:23 am
  • Kelenic is giving me flashbacks or every failed M’s prospect. I know it is way too early but how can you not be a little worried.

What is amazing is how well this team is doing despite him and half of the lineup not doing much. Nice to have Marco back. Somehow the starting pitching became a strength for this team.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:19 am
  • I'm sure Kelenic's lackluster performance at the plate is mostly on him, but he seems to be a magnet for savage mind-messing pitches, more so than most.
    Ruminator
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:27 am
  • Ruminator wrote:I'm sure Kelenic's lackluster performance at the plate is mostly on him, but he seems to be a magnet for savage mind-messing pitches, more so than most.

Of course. It's what they do to rookies. :229031_shrug:

At least in the middle of the lineup he has a better chance of battting with someone on base, and getting more fastballs.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:27 pm
  • JK needs to hunt the offspeed pitches. They are not going to throw him a fastball in the zone until he starts hitting the off speed stuff.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:41 pm
  • Trammell needs to learn to hit the cut off man to keep the batter at first.
    11 year old little league fundamentals.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:19 pm
  • Yet another pitiful night of hitting for the Ms.

Just when they get our hopes up, they let us down again
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:16 pm
  • Jerhawk wrote:Yet another pitiful night of hitting for the Ms.

Just when they get our hopes up, they let us down again

I hate losing to those white shoe wearing bastages!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:49 am
  • I really like Kyle Lewis, but he is starting to become that guy that can't stay healthy.

Between him and Kelenic i'm starting to get some hesitancy. I can definitely see the bright future of this team, but I can also see a failed rebuild.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:51 am
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:I really like Kyle Lewis, but he is starting to become that guy that can't stay healthy.

Between him and Kelenic i'm starting to get some hesitancy. I can definitely see the bright future of this team, but I can also see a failed rebuild.

Lewis’ issue is staying healthy.

As for JK, I think he has been mishandled the whole way by the M’s org and that has affected him.
    Does that excuse his $h!t hitting? Nope.

I willing to bet this is the first prolonged slump he has ever been in.

The thing about Kelenic is some use Mike Trout as a comp.
    Mike Trout got sent down to the minors once.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:44 am
  • Have to admit SH, you've been consistent in blaming the team FO and Servais. :laugh:

As to Kelenic, from what I've heard/read you are probably right. This just might be his first experience with real struggles with playing. I was always one who thought they shouldn't rush him to the show, but he's here now. Right now, I don't think they'll send him down right away. But, I think they'll be watching him over this road trip. It's 10 games and sometime a change in environment can do wonders. I hear he got booed the other night. Hate to think that, but typical fans...scream to get him up here and then boo when he struggles.

Anyway, if he continues to struggle through this road trip, I suspect he'll be sent down for a week or two, just to get some of the pressure off of him and let him get back to his 'normal' game.

The Kyle Lewis saga is painful to see play out. He is such a good player, but seems to be a bit fragile.

Fact is, we don't know how long Haniger will stay healthy. He looks great, but he also has a history. Personally, I'd prefer not to trade him away. Having a quality vet around is always a good thing.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:45 pm
  • sutz wrote:Have to admit SH, you've been consistent in blaming the team FO and Servais. :laugh:

As to Kelenic, from what I've heard/read you are probably right. This just might be his first experience with real struggles with playing. I was always one who thought they shouldn't rush him to the show, but he's here now. Right now, I don't think they'll send him down right away. But, I think they'll be watching him over this road trip. It's 10 games and sometime a change in environment can do wonders. I hear he got booed the other night. Hate to think that, but typical fans...scream to get him up here and then boo when he struggles.

Anyway, if he continues to struggle through this road trip, I suspect he'll be sent down for a week or two, just to get some of the pressure off of him and let him get back to his 'normal' game.

The Kyle Lewis saga is painful to see play out. He is such a good player, but seems to be a bit fragile.

Fact is, we don't know how long Haniger will stay healthy. He looks great, but he also has a history. Personally, I'd prefer not to trade him away. Having a quality vet around is always a good thing.

You’re right, guilty as charged. I b!@ch about ownership, front office, and the manager because overall I think they are not good at their jobs. I do think the Jerry is good at rebuilding a minor league system though but we will see if I’m correct about that. How they manage their players in the minors and their offensive philosophies have a lot to be desired IMHO.

It sucks about Lewis, the kid can’t catch a break.

As for JK if they sent him down right now I wouldn’t be pissed.
    He himself has said he hates “giving away” at bats but that’s all he has been doing mostly.

I think hitting him lead off was a mistake at the MLB level.
    Why they did it in AAA was to get him the most AB’s .

Maybe I’m wrong about this but I think he would have been better and through the slump if he was on the opening day roster as it would have been a smooth transition.

JK needs to realize he isn’t going to see any fastballs in the zone until he starts hitting the off speed pitches.
    Hunt the off speed pitches.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:29 am
  • Humbling for kelenic
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:32 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:JK needs to realize he isn’t going to see any fastballs in the zone until he starts hitting the off speed pitches.

He's been seeing plenty of fastballs in the zone. He just can't hit them. Or he just watches them go by and then flails at the next pitch that's low and outside the zone by a foot.

I watch a lot of Mariners games. I would go as far as to say I've seen most of his AB's at the major league level. This narrative that no one's throwing him fastballs in the zone is simply false. No one's afraid to throw him fastballs in the zone (or anything else) because he can't hit $h!t.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:50 pm
  • Chapow wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:JK needs to realize he isn’t going to see any fastballs in the zone until he starts hitting the off speed pitches.

He's been seeing plenty of fastballs in the zone. He just can't hit them. Or he just watches them go by and then flails at the next pitch that's low and outside the zone by a foot.

I watch a lot of Mariners games. I would go as far as to say I've seen most of his AB's at the major league level. This narrative that no one's throwing him fastballs in the zone is simply false. No one's afraid to throw him fastballs in the zone (or anything else) because he can't hit $h!t.

For example, his AB just now in the 4th. It was a 5 pitch strikeout. 3 of the pitches were fast balls, with 1 of them being borderline on the outside corner and the other 2 being right down the middle of the plate.

Again, he's seeing plenty of fastballs in the zone, he just can't do anything with them. He's now 0 for his last 33 with an overall batting average of .104.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:58 pm
  • Chapow wrote:
    Chapow wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:JK needs to realize he isn’t going to see any fastballs in the zone until he starts hitting the off speed pitches.

For example, his AB just now in the 4th. It was a 5 pitch strikeout. 3 of the pitches were fast balls, with 1 of them being borderline on the outside corner and the other 2 being right down the middle of the plate.

Again, he's seeing plenty of fastballs in the zone, he just can't do anything with them. He's now 0 for his last 33 with an overall batting average of .104.

You’re right, I was wrong. :oops:

The kid is too deep in his own head right now.
    Even as one of his biggest fans, I think him being sent down might do him some good.
    It seemed to help Trammell, at least in the small sample size he’s been back.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:51 pm
  • There's no shame in sending him back down for a little bit.
    Trout got sent down a couple times at the beginning of his career too.

It'll allow him to grow his confidence and get back on track. Hes only 21.

And I agree with Hernia. Baseball is so mental, he needs to get his mind right first. He's got the physical tools.

He'll get there.
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:54 pm
  • Having a grand slam on your scorecard is always grounds for hope. And then your pitching staff kills that hope. At least right now they have a 4-1 lead in the 8th.
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:03 pm
  • It takes a Mariners fan to go into the bottom of the ninth with a 7 run lead and feel nervous. And then Middleton gives up 3 runs and leaves 2 on with no outs registered. :34853_doh:

Gilbert still wastes a lot of pitches, but he got it done through 5. Tons of traffic but he wiggled out of the jams.

Montero still doing the Fernando Rodney 2.0 impression. Scares me every time he takes the mound.

Nice to see offense up and down the lineup for a change.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:24 pm
  • They sent Kelenic down. Needed to happen.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:43 pm
  • And the good news is they can't lose today! Guaranteed! :mrgreen:

Agreed on Kelenic. He was completely lost out there. Hopefully, he can follow in Trammell's footsteps and get his head back in the game and build back some confidence. I thought they might wait til the end of the road trip, but what the hell. When a young kid is 0 for 39 and hurting your team you gotta do something. Not sure how many up and downs they can do, but it is definitely more than 1. The talent is there.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:58 pm
  • The Dylan Thomas story is a good one. 10 years in the minors, finally gets called up, will likely make his MLB debut tomorrow. The hard work and perseverance finally pays off. :2thumbs:
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:32 pm
  • At this rate, Marco will be lucky to go 3 innings. :?
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:19 pm
  • Hell of a catch by Fraley robbing a Tiger of a game winning home run in the bottom of the 9th and then doubled the runner off of first.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:47 pm
  • dead last in team batting avg and team obp, bring up julio plug him in and see what he's got, they handled kelenic just fine, he wasnt ready, and thats ok, see if julio is ready now, give him 60-70 at bats, this lineup basically can't get worse
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:35 pm
  • I wonder if our sacrifice will suddenly spur on Detroit to win a bunch of games? Mariners baseball needs to be good for something more than just occasional no-hitters.
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:26 pm
  • 2 $&@#ing hits?
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:20 pm
  • If the Mariners lost and no one watched, does anyone care?

This is looking like another disaster season. Kyle Lewis is injured. Kelenic didn’t have the debut people wanted to see. Evan White can’t hit when he’s healthy.

Only real positives to the season are JP Crawford and some of the pitching.

The M’s run differential is near last in the league, expect them to lose a lot more.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:29 pm
  • Good lord can we just release Rodney Montero now? :34853_doh: :34853_doh: :34853_doh:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:52 pm
  • That's just about the most embarrassing loss you can ask for.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:59 pm
  • XxXdragonXxX wrote:That's just about the most embarrassing loss you can ask for.

Agreed. Bullpen really fell apart today.

Idk what kind of throw home that was. Really sad.
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:29 pm
  • sutz wrote:Good lord can we just release Rodney Montero now? :34853_doh: :34853_doh: :34853_doh:

Told everyone he was garbage a month ago.
    Idiot manager keeps bringing him in games where you have the lead and he keeps blowing them.
    Incompetent in game managing.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:04 pm
  • Great game all around tonight. Flexen has been very good outside of 1 really really bad outing. JP Crawford is looking very much like the SS of the future.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:30 pm
  • XxXdragonXxX wrote:Great game all around tonight. Flexen has been very good outside of 1 really really bad outing. JP Crawford is looking very much like the SS of the future.

Flexen has been a diamond in the rough. Had all 4 pitches working last night.
    JP a has been on FIRE! Great to see! :2thumbs:
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:54 pm
  • I guess Haniger and Servais are arguing whether he should play to night. Good news that he is close to being back however they decide. That was kind of scary.

:2thumbs: :snack:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:35 pm
  • sutz wrote:I guess Haniger and Servais are arguing whether he should play to night. Good news that he is close to being back however they decide. That was kind of scary.

:2thumbs: :snack:

Sheffield just the latest overrated former yankee prospect the Mariners fell for.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:23 pm
  • Good win tonight. Unfortunately Dunn left with shoulder soreness. But the bullpen and offense came through, Seags with the pinch hit walkoff.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:02 am
  • .500 club. Just imagine if the FO spent $.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:57 am
  • Shanegotyou11 wrote:.500 club. Just imagine if the FO spent $.

As one of the biggest cynics of the Mariners here, I’m not mad they aren’t spending money THIS year.
    This was always going to be a developmental year once Covid hit, as it pushed everything out a year.

Now next year and beyond they better start spending $$$, because if they have a problem finding their wallet, so will I when it comes to spending money on their product.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:42 pm
  • Agreed they dont need to spend lots of money yet if Dipoto keeps making good call ups and trades. This Baurs, Shed, Torrens thing is giving the bottom of the line up some life. Less Murphy, White, Moore. Trammel struggling again. Fraley getting rest? Kelenic is hot in AAA.
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:59 pm
  • The Ms confuse me. They struggle against teams like the Tigers and Orioles but open 2-0 series vs Rays?

Go Ms
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:34 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information