The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread

Ruminator

Reaction score
Jerhawk":256iclhe said:
The Ms confuse me. They struggle against teams like the Tigers and Orioles but open 2-0 series vs Rays?

Go Ms

Whoo hoo! All we have to do is start sucking a little less against inferior teams, then we'll strike fear in the hearts of whoever we face in the playoffs and the World Series!
:sarcasm_off:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Jerhawk":1dhfuna9 said:
The Ms confuse me. They struggle against teams like the Tigers and Orioles but open 2-0 series vs Rays?

Go Ms
Back in the late 70’s and early 80’s when they really sucked for whatever reason they’d always beat up the Yankees.

I went to “Ball Night” in 1979 as a kid, and they beat the Yankees 16-1. Scored 9 runs in the first inning. Tommy John didn’t make it through the first inning for the Yanks, and Pinella hit a homer to centerfield for the only run.

sutz

Reaction score
No sarcasm here, but I think we have the makings of a real baseball team here. We can write off the inconsistencies to their general all around youth, but overall they are showing signs of real fight and resilience. I don't expect playoffs this season, but I actually think they're gonna be in position to be a spoiler this year and a playoff contender next.

I do think we should be careful about shedding the few veteran influences we have left on the team. I'm a full on Haniger fan and hope they find a way to sign him long term as the veteran core of the outfield. Once Kelenic gets his head screwed back on, we could have 4-5 pretty solid outfielders to choose from. Even Fraley is looking like a value player.

YK is closing in on Paxton (pre-injury) value and Flexen looks like a fairly solid 3-4 starter. Gilbert has been solid so far, though it's still kind of early. Marco we know about. If we can get past the injury bug, our rotation has a decent base. Our bullpen has had moments of brilliance, but are regressing to the mean a bit lately. There appears to be some keepers in there, though.

With JP and Moore, the interior of the infield is solid. I'm not totally sold on letting Seager just go poof at the end of this season, especially since we don't seem to have a blue chip 3d baseman in the pipeline yet. If he could learn to stop pulling everything, he could hit .270+ with power. Hopefully the Evan White situation irons itself out. But with Shed Long as a utility guy, our infield is pretty solid, too.

I'm ready for the :242735:

:twisted:

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
sutz":2z23arqm said:
No sarcasm here, but I think we have the makings of a real baseball team here. We can write off the inconsistencies to their general all around youth, but overall they are showing signs of real fight and resilience. I don't expect playoffs this season, but I actually think they're gonna be in position to be a spoiler this year and a playoff contender next.

I do think we should be careful about shedding the few veteran influences we have left on the team. I'm a full on Haniger fan and hope they find a way to sign him long term as the veteran core of the outfield. Once Kelenic gets his head screwed back on, we could have 4-5 pretty solid outfielders to choose from. Even Fraley is looking like a value player.

YK is closing in on Paxton (pre-injury) value and Flexen looks like a fairly solid 3-4 starter. Gilbert has been solid so far, though it's still kind of early. Marco we know about. If we can get past the injury bug, our rotation has a decent base. Our bullpen has had moments of brilliance, but are regressing to the mean a bit lately. There appears to be some keepers in there, though.

With JP and Moore, the interior of the infield is solid. I'm not totally sold on letting Seager just go poof at the end of this season, especially since we don't seem to have a blue chip 3d baseman in the pipeline yet. If he could learn to stop pulling everything, he could hit .270+ with power. Hopefully the Evan White situation irons itself out. But with Shed Long as a utility guy, our infield is pretty solid, too.

I'm ready for the :242735:

No we are close. Super close. I wish FO would of dropped coin

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3kqgne9y said:
Jerhawk":3kqgne9y said:

Go Ms
Back in the late 70’s and early 80’s when they really sucked for whatever reason they’d always beat up the Yankees.

I went to “Ball Night” in 1979 as a kid, and they beat the Yankees 16-1. Scored 9 runs in the first inning. Tommy John didn’t make it through the first inning for the Yanks, and Pinella hit a homer to centerfield for the only run.

That's awesome! I bet that was a lot of fun watching the Ms in the Kingdome. What an experience!

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Jerhawk":3m5yfosl said:
Sports Hernia":3m5yfosl said:
Jerhawk":3m5yfosl said:

Go Ms

That's awesome! I bet that was a lot of fun watching the Ms in the Kingdome. What an experience!
It’s always fun watching them kick some yankee ass (sorry Lyman). 8)

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Another walkoff win last night.

This team has no quit and makes baseball fun to watch. At least when they're winning lol

sutz

Reaction score
Next challenge: learn how to beat AL West teams on a regular basis. :twisted:

Crizilla

Reaction score
Nice to see an NBA sell out sized crowd today at the ballpark. 18k. Another walk off win.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Oh man! Walk off grand salami! This team is incredible.

Hopefully they keep it going

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
They’ve really taken advantage of the extra inning “Manfred rule” at home where a runner starts out at 2nd, and good for them for winning most xtra inning games.
Huge advantage for the home team. I hate the rule, but they are winning partially because of it.

sutz

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2gb9lnip said:
They’ve really taken advantage of the extra inning “Manfred rule” at home where a runner starts out at 2nd, and good for them for winning most xtra inning games.
Huge advantage for the home team. I hate the rule, but they are winning partially because of it.
The M's seem to be the only team that plays it right. First guy up in the 10th, bunt the guy over to 3rd. :229031_shrug:

Nice win today. Team showing some real resilience. Gotta love the fight in them. :snack:

We're just about set up for them to break our hearts again.

Giphy

:laugh:

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
So glad I went to the game today last minute decision. Gonzo pitched a good game, Shed with the walk off slam. First home run sandwich I've ever seen live.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I wish we could play the Astronauts now while we're hot.

I think we could beat em

sutz

Reaction score
And it begins. Flexen walking off the mound bottom of the 1st and the Ump stops him to check his glove, hat and belt.

Thing is, he doesn't strike me as the type to use foreign substances on the ball. Maybe it's just me. :229031_shrug:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
sutz":29lck3ot said:
And it begins. Flexen walking off the mound bottom of the 1st and the Ump stops him to check his glove, hat and belt.

Thing is, he doesn't strike me as the type to use foreign substances on the ball. Maybe it's just me. :229031_shrug:
MLB’s version of “security theatre”.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I can't even get into the ballpark with a water bottle.

How do these MLB teams allow pitchers to get away with using foreign substances?