The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread

OP
OP
IndyHawk

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Sucks to lose KG but Toro is a talent and what little we have seen
so far shows hope..He did skip AAA and just turned 22 ..JD may
have made a great trade when it's all said and done.
It's all about the next two years and all the pieces have not arrived
yet no matter how we get them.
Back to KG if he loves Seattle he can be signed as a FA.

Vesuve

Reaction score
Bobblehead":1d76dp1y said:
Thats a head scratcher.. Why?

I'm assuming (and can only assume) that it's b/c Graveman is a UFA after this season.

That said the only realistic plan for the M's is to compete for the Wild Card with the A's so keeping him would help....?

Dip says there are more trades in the works coming.....we shall see.

balakoth

Reaction score
Chapow":2g38pju6 said:
Sounds like a lot of players are straight up pissed off.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mar ... joe-smith/

Mariners players feel ‘betrayed’ after team trades Kendall Graveman to Astros

...Less than 24 hours after an improbable 11-8 come-from-behind victory over the Houston Astros, which included overcoming a 7-0 deficit in the third inning, a go-ahead grand slam from Dylan Moore and the benches nearly emptying after J.P. Crawford was hit by a pitch, all the good feeling from the best win of the season was replaced by confusion, anger and frustration at the Mariners front office...

...The vibe on the field before Tuesday’s game was expectedly subdued. The early work from the position players lacked the typical emotion and energy. Many disappeared into the clubhouse immediately.

“An hour ago, it was great,” said one player. “It was probably better than it’s ever been. And now, it’s the worst.”

Multiple pitchers emerged from the clubhouse with tears still in their eyes from saying goodbye to Graveman.

“You should’ve seen it earlier,” said a veteran player about the initial reaction.

Several players opted not to speak on the record about the move, but their anger was palpable. Sources said equipment was broken and smashed while one player “went absolutely mad.”

“Betrayed” was a word used often.

“Are you (expletive) kidding me?” said the same player. “It never changes. They don’t care about winning. How do you trade him and say you care about winning? And you trade him to Houston? It never changes.”...

...Dipoto admitted that the trade could disrupt the chemistry in the clubhouse and also affect the psyche of the team in the immediate aftermath...

...Multiple players felt it was disingenuous for Dipoto to trade a team leader like Graveman at such an emotional time without offering some explanation for it in person. They found out from Graveman and social media.

“He hasn’t come down here,” a player said of Dipoto. “He sits up in his suite, playing fantasy baseball and rips apart our team without telling us anything.”...

Jerry Dipoto sounds like a chicken $h!t little b!@ch. He straight up admitted that he knew this could disrupt team chemistry and affect the psyche of the team, but instead of addressing the team in person and assuring them that he had a plan and was still committed to winning now and doing everything he could to put together the best team possible right now, he just didn't say $h!t, didn't even bother addressing the team at all. Just let everyone find out from social media and Graveman. What a f*** coward.

Im curious did you read the actual article this numbnut cherry picked paragraphs from to adhere to "rules" or.... just go off o this.

People knew, a ton of these players knew. It was hard to hear.. but its also about the future and now. I feel we make another few deals now that we let go of salary from Montero.

Graveman was doing AMAZING yes.... but... also career wise he normally does not... pure win for us after he is a UFA next year and cost more for bidding after a great showing.

In reality his psyche is probably like the rest if you saw his interview, he was crying and emotional while wearing an Astros cap.. you honestly think hes going to perform just like he did now?

balakoth

Reaction score
Also people crapping on someone "theyve never heard of" is batting better than Kelenic... in every sense of the way even since coming up after skipping AAA

Crizilla

Reaction score
I get the team chemistry thing and doing this right after a win like that would ruin the mood but either way the M's need to be ready to play the next day. THis is baseball you cant get too emotional highs or lows throughout the season. Graveman was having an insane year yes but it was actually his first break out year. He was average the one year he started, too. Toro is from Houston's farm let's see how it plays out. M's go 4-3 on the homestand against the 2 teams ahead of them. BP trades like this is nothing new, are there new M's fans around?

beastalamode

Reaction score
Apparently Graveman is unvaccinated and wondered if that was why they traded him away. That would be really disappointing if that played a significant part in their desire to move him.

sutz

Reaction score
beastalamode":2q63yyxo said:
Apparently Graveman is unvaccinated and wondered if that was why they traded him away. That would be really disappointing if that played a significant part in their desire to move him.
It wouldn't for me. If he's not that much of a team player, then let him go. :229031_shrug:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
beastalamode":29q08gv2 said:
I doubt it. If that was the case they would have traded him before now.
I think Jerry just thinks very highly of his own GM abilities.

In the end the trade MAY send up being even or a winner for Seattle, as usually when a closer or set up man has a great year and pitches a lot of innings, the next year they usually struggle.

Sending him to a hated division rival who’s ahead of you “in the playoff race” when you claim you are trying to win now isn’t good optics all the way around.

What’s indisputable is the timing of it couldn’t be worse and if what the players said is true he handled it in a piss poor manner and the was scared to “take a few arrows” from some pissed off players, which is part of the job, is very weak sauce.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
My issue with the trade is that we aren't trying to win now. I get that. It's still about the future. But when you have a franchise that has the longest playoff drought in all of the major sports, it's a slap in the face when you can finally win now, and the front office says lets wait another season.

I totally understand the trade, just don't like the message it sends, and didn't like the timing of it. Why make the trade after one of the best wins of the last decade? He could have just waited and made this trade closer to the deadline. Awful timing by Dipoto.

It sounds like there is a huge rift between the players and Dipoto. I will be curious to see our record from here on out. So far we are 0-2 since the trade. I was kind of hoping we would trade a prospect for a guy who can help us win this season and in the future. At some point, we need to just go for it. I'm tired of constantly being one season away. And when is the last time we made a big move at the deadline? A few years ago when we had the huge lead on Oakland, all we did was add Maybin and a bullpen guy. A few years before that we made the Austin Jackson trade. Case in point is that even when the M's have been in contention, they still don't go for it. Which explains why the Mariners have this huge playoff drought.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3aoyt6e3 said:
My issue with the trade is that we aren't trying to win now. I get that. It's still about the future. But when you have a franchise that has the longest playoff drought in all of the major sports, it's a slap in the face when you can finally win now, and the front office says lets wait another season.

I totally understand the trade, just don't like the message it sends, and didn't like the timing of it. Why make the trade after one of the best wins of the last decade? He could have just waited and made this trade closer to the deadline. Awful timing by Dipoto.

It sounds like there is a huge rift between the players and Dipoto. I will be curious to see our record from here on out. So far we are 0-2 since the trade. I was kind of hoping we would trade a prospect for a guy who can help us win this season and in the future. At some point, we need to just go for it. I'm tired of constantly being one season away. And when is the last time we made a big move at the deadline? A few years ago when we had the huge lead on Oakland, all we did was add Maybin and a bullpen guy. A few years before that we made the Austin Jackson trade. Case in point is that even when the M's have been in contention, they still don't go for it. Which explains why the Mariners have this huge playoff drought.
They were actually 1 player away in 2001, that player was Dave Justice, Lou begging for another bat. Dave Justice was then traded to the Yankees and he killed Seattle in that playoff series that year. M’s ownership went into default mode and tightened up the purse strings. The Mariners are the ONLY current MLB steam to never play in a World Series. That’s not dumb luck, it’s squarely on bad ownership and bad front offices.

The worst part is it sounds like DiPoto has lost the team, and that’s never a good thing.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Okay the Graveman trade makes a lot more sense now. M’s trade for Diego Castillo. We send them Chargois and the kid Shenton. Castillo is an upgrade over Graveman, and I think he doesn’t become a FA until 2025.

We basically traded Graveman and Shenton for Castillo and Toro. Both are upgrades. Nice dealing by Dipoto.

Ruminator

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":30q0kiyu said:
Okay the Graveman trade makes a lot more sense now. M’s trade for Diego Castillo. We send them Chargois and the kid Shenton. Castillo is an upgrade over Graveman, and I think he doesn’t become a FA until 2025.

We basically traded Graveman and Shenton for Castillo and Toro. Both are upgrades. Nice dealing by Dipoto.

Enough to help the Ms overtake the As in the WC race and actually make the playoffs this year? Just might be. Will be interesting to see if yet another trade is in the offing.

https://www.mlb.com/news/diego-castillo-trade

Not a lanky guy, that's for sure!

sutz

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":2u8p36rv said:

Well, DiPoto did say that he had some more in the works that would help make the Graveman deal more palatable.

Note that he's not trading for prospects. He's adding players. Still a few hours left, tomorrow at 1pm IIRC.

Also, unlike previous GMs he hasn't traded away any of our top prospects yet. I think they are thinking we have the horses to make a run this year, with a couple more tweaks.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
sutz":eidaqic1 said:
Hawk-Lock":eidaqic1 said:

Well, DiPoto did say that he had some more in the works that would help make the Graveman deal more palatable.

Note that he's not trading for prospects. He's adding players. Still a few hours left, tomorrow at 1pm IIRC.

Also, unlike previous GMs he hasn't traded away any of our top prospects yet. I think they are thinking we have the horses to make a run this year, with a couple more tweaks.
I don’t know, Shenton’s numbers are a little “prospecty”.
I don’t think trading him away is a HUGE deal, but he was having a real good year this year.
Hopefully these trades work out for the hometown 9.

sutz

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3t2ozagg said:
sutz":3t2ozagg said:
Hawk-Lock":3t2ozagg said:

I don’t think trading him away is a HUGE deal, but he was having a real good year this year.
I suppose I should have specified "top" prospects. You don't get something for nothing. Shenton was a Round 5 pick. I had to look up his numbers. ;)

No trades are risk free. Now, if he deals Julio away, it better be for an all star player or I'll join you in decrying it. :mrgreen:

According to Baseball Reference Castillo has 14 saves this year. We could use an established closer, for sure.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
sutz":2s3wex1k said:
Sports Hernia":2s3wex1k said:
sutz":2s3wex1k said:
Hawk-Lock":2s3wex1k said:

I suppose I should have specified "top" prospects. You don't get something for nothing. Shenton was a Round 5 pick. I had to look up his numbers. ;)

No trades are risk free. Now, if he deals Julio away, it better be for an all star player or I'll join you in decrying it. :mrgreen:

According to Baseball Reference Castillo has 14 saves this year. We could use an established closer, for sure.
I don’t disagree with anything you posted there. Just pointing out that Shenton wasn’t just some scrub (not claiming you said he was).

Ruminator

Reaction score
Ms meet the Rangers once again. Last time Ms swept a series was vs Rays in mid-June -- a four-game sweep. They're due for another sweep, I say. Can only hope!

sutz

Reaction score
Just saw that Santiago is suspended 80 games for steroids. :34853_doh:

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1462627/ ... %20Program.

Regarding his statement:

Santiago released a statement, saying he would not appeal the suspension and explaining that he was recommended “hormonal replacement therapy” by a licensed physician in Puerto Rico in 2020, when he was not on an MLB roster, and did not consider that it could result in a violation of the Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program. He also said in the statement that he alone is responsible for what he puts in his body and “was not careful.”

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
sutz":2t17ppn2 said:
Just saw that Santiago is suspended 80 games for steroids. :34853_doh:

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1462627/ ... %20Program.

Regarding his statement:

Santiago released a statement, saying he would not appeal the suspension and explaining that he was recommended “hormonal replacement therapy” by a licensed physician in Puerto Rico in 2020, when he was not on an MLB roster, and did not consider that it could result in a violation of the Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program. He also said in the statement that he alone is responsible for what he puts in his body and “was not careful.”
No words.