The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread

Threedee

Reaction score
On the plus side, we learned from the Asterisk series that our lineup is capable of scoring 6+ runs in a game. On the down side, it revealed that our starting pitching is still a mess.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Assuming we don’t make another trade. I feel like it was a fairly lackluster deadline for us. Obviously we aren’t pushing hard for the playoffs this season. I do think both trades help in the long term. But with a ton of teams in contention trading for impact guys, I don’t see us making the playoffs.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":aeggd5xt said:
Assuming we don’t make another trade. I feel like it was a fairly lackluster deadline for us. Obviously we aren’t pushing hard for the playoffs this season. I do think both trades help in the long term. But with a ton of teams in contention trading for impact guys, I don’t see us making the playoffs.

I'd like to have seen something to get us through the playoff's but.. big but, I'm sure anything we got would have come at the expense of next year and the following years. Personnaly I'm happy not to have blown the farm system for the chance we make the play off. I don't want to be the Seahawks in a situation, where we are just good enough to make the playoff's and out. This year is a good stepping stone for next year.

sutz

Reaction score
Well, deadline is past and I didn't hear of any last minute deals.

Gonna be an interesting couple of months going forward. Are we good enough to catch the A's for the 2d wild card? We're gonna find out.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
So, basically they traded Graveman, got the players mad, got a slightly better closer, and that's it.

Sums up a Mariners trade deadline.
Meanwhile the Cubs were having a firesale and we didn't even flinch

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Jerhawk":21s2gfvl said:
So, basically they traded Graveman, got the players mad, got a slightly better closer, and that's it.

Sums up a Mariners trade deadline.
Meanwhile the Cubs were having a firesale and we didn't even flinch
I think it may be slightly better than what you said, but the damage it may have caused in the clubhouse may wipe out any positives you made in the trades.

All I heard from the M’s front office is “hey, we tried!”, been hearing that every year of this team’s existence. That dog won’t hunt anymore.

When you hear the mid to low level prospects other teams traded away to get superstars, Seattle could have gotten much more without giving up top prospects.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Hopefully this gets JK going. We need to take advantage of a Texas team that just got rid of Gallo, their closer and Gibson.

I’m kind of disappointed with the deadline but I get it. I honestly think Dipoto doesn’t believe the team can really compete for the playoffs as of now. He is all about next season. I’m fine with the few moves we made, but it puts that much more pressure on the off season.. A lot of the guys we did see get traded at the deadline will be available, guys like Scherzer, Baez and Schwarber. I’m fine with us not going after these guys now, but when these guys become free agents, we need to try to bring them here.

sutz

Reaction score
I think DiPoto is admitting that we don't really have that good of a shot to catch the 'Stros and win the division, and that it would be silly/stupid to sell the farm right now for just a wild card spot.

We kind of stood pat, and I'm good with it. I'm not sure that Gravy had the temperament to be a true closer. Castillo is throwing hard, but a little wild out there right now. :pray: Overall, I think we may have made a couple of incremental improvements, but no big splash deals.

With what happened in the OF I'm glad they didn't deal Hanniger, but I've been saying that all along.

And Castillo shuts them down. Not a save situation, but a decent first showing.

sutz

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3clycj0q said:
Well today’s game ended sucky.
It happens, closers blow games. On to tomorrow.
What? No "same old Mariners snatching defeat from the jaws of victory" speech? :twisted:

J/K Tough loss. And with Marco not being the Marco of last year, tomorrow doesn't seem all that certain against a team we should be able to handle. Angie was saying we haven't won a series in Texas since 2018 or so.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Need to win today's game. Lets go Marco. Hopefully Angels can do us a favor again.

Still don't see us making playoffs, if I had to guess, I'd say we actually finish behind Toronto and the Yanks but we will see. Those teams added so much at the deadline. As long as we play competitive baseball and stay in the race through early September I'll be satisfied.

sutz

Reaction score
Apparently, the bullpen is still mad at Jerry. :34853_doh:

sutz

Reaction score
I guess I can't blame it all on the bullpen. The hitters left 5 or 6 runs out there all day. :les:

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Bad luck hitting today by Crawford.

But this was a series they shouldn't have lost if they really want to make the post season.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Yep, crappy ending. This is a what I feared might start happening. The bullpen outside of Montero has been aces all year.
They wasted a rare great outing by Marco.

Latest posts