The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
It was a fun season but the team pretty much folded down the stretch. Some fans will give them a pass that they over achieved and got beat out by better teams but I don't see that being the case. Yes the over achieved, but with about 30 games left we were right there. And with teams like Boston and NYY doing everything they could to give up the wildcard, we constantly lost important series. Whether it was to KC, Arizona or this series against Boston.

All the grit from this team was great, but I have a tough time looking forward to next season. None of our young guys played well. Kelenic disappointed and looked overwhelmed most the time. Kyle Lewis wasn't able to build off his rookie season. Dunn barely played. Sheffield for the most part looks like a #5 starter or a bullpen guy. I would much rather us finish 20 games under .500 with the young guys playing well than the season we are having.

I like what we saw from Torro and France. Those guys are everyday MLB players. We know what we have in Haniger. JP is solid, still don't think it's a given he stays if we bring in a big name shortstop.

We need to bring in an ace and probably another starting pitcher. I would not bring Kikuchi back. Probably need to spend at least $50 million in the free agent market, and that's on the low side. Anything short of playoffs next season is a failure. No excuses, get some free agents and develop the young kids.

Threedee

Reaction score
Crizilla":3322pw3u said:
Props to Dipoto for realizing before the trade deadline that you can't ride your bullpen all the way to the playoffs. It just doesn't work like that. Reality has set in. Offense just not there yet. Besides Kelenic is ANYONE in the bottom half of the line up coming back next year? Should they? My goodness.

I would be happy if we could have the 2014 bullpen, 2001 starting rotation, 1996 offense, and pretty much any defense from 1994 to 2005, all playing at once. That would be a competitive Mariners team.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Threedee":5tnxf1vr said:
Crizilla":5tnxf1vr said:
Props to Dipoto for realizing before the trade deadline that you can't ride your bullpen all the way to the playoffs. It just doesn't work like that. Reality has set in. Offense just not there yet. Besides Kelenic is ANYONE in the bottom half of the line up coming back next year? Should they? My goodness.

I would be happy if we could have the 2014 bullpen, 2001 starting rotation, 1996 offense, and pretty much any defense from 1994 to 2005, all playing at once. That would be a competitive Mariners team.
They’d win a 120-130 games.

Threedee

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":37jmlvmu said:
Kelenic 2-2, 2 HR’s, 4 RBI early. :2thumbs:
M’s up 4-0 top of 4.

The Kelenic stat is more exciting than the score. Perhaps he will work out for us beginning next season.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Threedee":38vyst9s said:
Sports Hernia":38vyst9s said:
M’s up 4-0 top of 4.

The Kelenic stat is more exciting than the score. Perhaps he will work out for us beginning next season.
The talent is there, he just gets in his own head once in awhile.
Needs to visit Russ and work on the habit of staying in a “neutral” state of mind.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Great game for JK. Would really like to see him breakthrough from here til the end of the season. He was a one foot away from winning the game on Wednesday.

Ruminator

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3qb87rfv said:
M’s up 4-0 top of 4.

I've thought this for a while and I'll go ahead and say it here: I think he's going to be one of our favorite players in the not-to-distant future.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Ruminator":2g8y8dmo said:
Sports Hernia":2g8y8dmo said:
M’s up 4-0 top of 4.

I've thought this for a while and I'll go ahead and say it here: I think he's going to be one of our favorite players in the not-to-distant future.
I do too. You can see the talent. He is young, he’s only 22, he will make his share of mistakes early on.

sutz

Reaction score
Kelenic is coming around TBS. :mrgreen:

I think YK is pitching himself out of that team option on his contract. He could start pitching perfect games and I still wouldn't trust him to start. :34853_doh:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Might be too little too late but JK is red hot right now.
3-4, 1HR, 2 doubles, 3rbi today. Home runs in his last 3 games.

Ruminator

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3qqwg3m1 said:
Finally, they've implanted a bionic eye and gave him a bionic arm! Playoffs!

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Ruminator":1ker6g5x said:
Sports Hernia":1ker6g5x said:
His OPS (on base % + slugging %) is .990 for the month of September which is great.

Ruminator

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1t3hmzit said:
Ruminator":1t3hmzit said:
Sports Hernia":1t3hmzit said:
His OPS (on base % + slugging %) is .990 for the month of September which is great.
Someone send him a memo that he is not to become just Mr. September.

sutz

Reaction score
Good game tonight. We could do a lot worse going forward than to have Flexen and Anderson in the back end of our rotation. Good left/right combo that eat a lot of innings and keep us in a lot of games.

I think they signed Flex for two years. Not sure about Anderson's contract status.

sutz

Reaction score
Another nice win. 5-2, Marco goes 6 again allows 2 runs, so another quality start. Flex going tomorrow, so could be another W. JP Crawford is an animal out there.

M's guarantee a winning season tonight with 82 wins so far.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
sutz":1ih483ib said:
Another nice win. 5-2, Marco goes 6 again allows 2 runs, so another quality start. Flex going tomorrow, so could be another W. JP Crawford is an animal out there.

M's guarantee a winning season tonight with 82 wins so far.
They’ve overachieved this year, let’s hope it continues.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
4-game sweep of the A's has them 2 back of the Yankees for the final WC spot with 9 games left. Here are the remaining schedules of the WC contenders.

Boston: 3 vs. Yankees, 3 @ Os, 3 @ Nationals
New York: 3 @ Boston, 3 @ Blue Jays, 3 vs. Rays
Toronto: 4 @ Twins, 3 vs. Yankees, 3 vs. Os
Seattle: 3 @ Angels, 3 vs As, 3 vs. Angels
Oakland: 3 vs. Astros, 3 @. Ms, 3 @ Astros

sutz

Reaction score
SeatownJay":1tpqcjxl said:
4-game sweep of the A's has them 2 back of the Yankees for the final WC spot with 9 games left. Here are the remaining schedules of the WC contenders.

Boston: 3 vs. Yankees, 3 @ Os, 3 @ Nationals
New York: 3 @ Boston, 3 @ Blue Jays, 3 vs. Rays
Toronto: 4 @ Twins, 3 vs. Yankees, 3 vs. Os
Seattle: 3 @ Angels, 3 vs As, 3 vs. Angels
Oakland: 3 vs. Astros, 3 @. Ms, 3 @ Astros
Looking at those, the M's may have the easiest road. :snack:

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Just when you think they’re done, they sweep Oakland. Fully expecting us to lose the series to the Angels. I’m joking, but wouldn’t surprise me. With only 9 games left, I think we can probably only afford to lose three games if we want to make the playoffs. Should be a fun ending to the season.