The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
This team to their credit overachieved big time, which is a compliment.
No way I expected 90 wins from this group.

Like I said in previous posts it’s put up or shut up time from the front office and ownership group.
Hopefully they will take notice that winning = butts in the seats which = $$$ in their coffers.

Go out pick up some top of the rotation arms, don’t F around with the arbitration clock BS.
If J- Rod and other prospects are good enough to make the team out of spring training they need to play from game 1 of the season.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1ll6e50m said:

Like I said in previous posts it’s put up or shut up time from the front office and ownership group.
Hopefully they will take notice that winning = butts in the seats which = $$$ in their coffers.

Go out pick up some top of the rotation arms, don’t F around with the arbitration clock BS.
If J- Rod and other prospects are good enough to make the team out of spring training they need to play from game 1 of the season.

They definitely overachieved. Their hitting is what needs improvement. Other than long bombs, most of the team can't bat over .230. Seager hitting .215, Kelenic and Moore under .200, Murphy .202, Bauers .220, etc. Team batting average was .226. Not many teams win 90 games with that average. Why they had solid pitching (especially the bullpen). Watch DiPoto blow that up and next season there will be a big drop off.

Threedee

Reaction score
Chapow":1ef1jt98 said:
Threedee":1ef1jt98 said:
My complaint is that this final game was never about getting to the WS. Or the ALCS. Or the ALDS. It was simply about ending the playoff drought. Now, there isn't a single starting pitcher on this roster that you would ever want to schedule for the "big game." That being said, why Tyler Anderson?

Does it count as making the playoffs if you tie for the 2nd wildcard, but then lose that play in game, so you never actually were the 2nd wildcard and you never actually play in the wildcard game?
No, we would have needed to win the play-in. I guess that memories of 1995 made me an optimist, though.

Threedee

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":vx0o5zg4 said:

True. Hopefully Gilbert can make a huge step forward in the off-season.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Overall it was a successful season but this series really rubbed me the wrong way. Typical Mariners. They controlled their own destiny, and managed to lose the series to an awful team, in front of huge crowd. On a day when four teams had to win to keep their hopes alive, all won….except the team that has the longest playoff drought.

The last few days is exactly why the Mariners are the worst MLB franchise and have the longest playoff drought. People will sugarcoat it by saying they overachieved and shouldn’t have been here, which is true, but at some point you just need to win. Put aside the other 159 games, we should have won at least two of three from this series. The team came out flat and never had a chance.

I’m done with my negative M’s rant. Next season is playoffs or bust. I want to see the front office spend at least $50 million in free agency. Go get an ace, 3B and either a 1B or DH. Obviously you can shuffle guys in the infield, but we need to add at least two impact bats and probably two impact arms to the rotation.

I did like how the young guys finished, I’m hoping Kelenic and Gilbert can carry their success into next season.

Threedee

Reaction score
If the Mariners would have taken care of business in those earlier series against the Royals and Diamondbacks, they would not have been fighting for a play-in spot this weekend.

Ruminator

Reaction score
Threedee":g4komp96 said:
If the Mariners would have taken care of business in those earlier series against the Royals and Diamondbacks, they would not have been fighting for a play-in spot this weekend.

A demonstration of how some teams just seem to have certain other teams' numbers, W/L records notwithstanding. Ms should not have lost as many as they did to Royals and Diamondbacks, but they did. On the other hand, the Ms would never had reached 90 wins had it not been for their total domination of the Oakland As, whom they faced more than just a series or two. Ms have the As to thank, in large part, for their 90 wins.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Really a nice surprise that this team was in the mix. Considering they were supposed to be average and maybe playoff level in 2022. That being said, you can't forget that they won 33 games by one run. That's not the same old Mariners, and that's exactly why they were in it this weekend. Easy to point at recent losses, but they were playing with house $ imo. What a great run, should be a hell of a 2022.

Threedee

Reaction score
Ruminator":1wzt4gcd said:
Threedee":1wzt4gcd said:

A demonstration of how some teams just seem to have certain other teams' numbers, W/L records notwithstanding. Ms should not have lost as many as they did to Royals and Diamondbacks, but they did. On the other hand, the Ms would never had reached 90 wins had it not been for their total domination of the Oakland As, whom they faced more than just a series or two. Ms have the As to thank, in large part, for their 90 wins.

Funny you mention this. I believe the Mariners would have been in a good position in the ALDS, because we have always had the Rays' number.

OTOH, there is Houston. During their last year in last place, the Asterisks had a losing record against every applicable team in the MLB, except for one. Guess who that team was?

GeekHawk

Reaction score
#1 - The last game didn't matter anyway since both the yankers and the stockings won.

#2 - What was JK's batting average in his second go-round after being sent back to Tacoma? And month-by-month after coming back up? I don't know where to find stats like that, but it sure seemed like he wasn't a sub-.200 hitter towards the end of the season after figuring things out.

sutz

Reaction score
GeekHawk":11mszwor said:
#1 - The last game didn't matter anyway since both the yankers and the stockings won.

#2 - What was JK's batting average in his second go-round after being sent back to Tacoma? And month-by-month after coming back up? I don't know where to find stats like that, but it sure seemed like he wasn't a sub-.200 hitter towards the end of the season after figuring things out.
I believe he was hitting in the .270-.280 range in September. That is from memory off of a TV broadcast, so I can't vouch for that precisely, but yes, he was hitting pretty accpetably late in the season, including against left handed pitchers. He was pretty solid starting in August IIRC and continuing to the end.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
That's about what I thought. Anyone who says "JK can't hit the Mendoza Line" isn't looking at reality IMHO. I look for him to be a valuable contributor and possibly a star next year.

sutz

Reaction score
GeekHawk":396vfkj3 said:
That's about what I thought. Anyone who says "JK can't hit the Mendoza Line" isn't looking at reality IMHO. I look for him to be a valuable contributor and possibly a star next year.
I don't think anybody was saying that. I know I wasn't. I did think they called him up too soon, and compounded that by having him bat leadoff for several weeks. Dumbest thing ever, IMHO. When they called him up the second time I thought they handled it pretty well. It took him a while, but hey he's a rookie.

I imagine he'll do fine next year with a full spring and he'll stay where he is in center field come next April.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
sutz":1f20135x said:
GeekHawk":1f20135x said:

I believe he was hitting in the .270-.280 range in September. That is from memory off of a TV broadcast, so I can't vouch for that precisely, but yes, he was hitting pretty accpetably late in the season, including against left handed pitchers. He was pretty solid starting in August IIRC and continuing to the end.
Actually thought is was a bit lower but I could be wrong about that.
He has hit at every level and showed flashes of talent. That homerun off of Ohtani In Cali was pretty epic.

Gotta remember he is 22 years old and is a very emotional player.
Love the stuff he’s said both postgame and on Twitter the past couple of days.

Once he get his emotions under control and relaxes on the field the natural talent will take over.

PS. This post wasn’t aimed at Sutz or anyone specific, just a general statement.

sutz

Reaction score
Not taking it personal, I was just repeating from memory, which could be off. I know at the end of the season I wasn't cringing when he stood up to bat, at least not like I was at the end of April. :twisted:

He should be good with a full spring training at the major level without any of the worries of a guy trying to "win a spot" as it were. He's in now.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
sutz":3p0p50fi said:
Not taking it personal, I was just repeating from memory, which could be off. I know at the end of the season I wasn't cringing when he stood up to bat, at least not like I was at the end of April. :twisted:

He should be good with a full spring training at the major level without any of the worries of a guy trying to "win a spot" as it were. He's in now.
Agree. Love the genuine positivity toward the fanbase and in general from him.
Like I said, once he gets the mental part of MLB a figured out, the physical part will follow.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Threedee":2k71g11c said:
Chris Taylor only needed to stop being a Mariner to progress as a player.

Nothing new about that! From the very start to about 1993 or so the Mariners were the AAAA farm club for the rest of the MLB.

Crizilla

Reaction score
GeekHawk":1w53rk6f said:

The splits section on ESPN

https://www.espn.com/mlb/player/splits/ ... ed-kelenic