Weird?

SeaToTheHawks

Reaction score
Is it weird that I am a diehard Seahawks fan, but hate the Mariners and hated the Sonics?

I grew up in the PNW, and have always loved the Seahawks but never cared for either the Mariners or Sonics.

TestMo1337

Reaction score
No... Seattle has shown that being a fan of one does not make you a fan of the other.

I know people that said, "I don't care if the Sonics leave as long the Mariners and Seahawks stayed." I then punched that guy in the dick.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
lifelong sonics fan, season tix holder for years. The NBA ruined basketball for me. Dead to me. I would love to see the NBA go bankrupt. I wont support another NBA team here. EVER. The NBA's best days are behind it.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Lifelong diehard Seahawks fan, loved the Sonics, especially the 90's with Payton/Kemp/Schrempf/Hawkins/Perkins, etc...(some of those games where as exciting as Seahawks playoff games) but have never cared much for the M's outside of the magic 95 season (when non-baseball fans like myself even became M's fans)...

I support all my local pro teams but only one team has ever had my heart and Soul unconditionally and that's the Seahawks.

The NBA died to me as well the day they sold the Sonics.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
I'm not a Seatlle native so I can't really say much about not being a fan of the Mariniers or the Sonics (when they were still there) but not supporting a team from your home town is a weird concept to me.

chris98251

Reaction score
Life long Sonic fans loved the Sonics back in 1967, the Wilkens years when he coached were some of the best also, it was the start of the fan base reputation in this area for Pro Sports, Huskies were considered a very hostile environment in football, but the NBA found out that broadcasting can be impossible at times here. That building was actually vibrating from noise, I sat next to one of the columns during the playoffs and Championship games and you put your hand on it and it was like a pager on vibrate going off due to the noise. This was helped a bit by Brent Musburger being a dick and talking down the fan base and the city of Seattle, not to mention Bill Walton who played for the Blazers also getting involved and talking crap, something he continued doing going forward.

That carried over to the Kingdome and as Seahawks fans know the rest is history.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
There's three types of fans.

Fan=Fanatic year round, live eat and breath the team in good times and bad.

Fair weather= hide in the shadows until they give you reason to cheer then cheer your head of.

Band wagon= the worst fans on the planet. Typically jump from team to team so they can associate themselves with a winner. Essentially trying to compensate for other things they lack in life. At least that's what I think.

I am a Seahawk fanatic but a Mariners fair weather fan and was also a Sonic fair weather fan.

I absolutely loved the 95 refuse to lose season and that era but I won't invest 162 games worth of participation for a team that just doesn't seem to either want or know how to be competitive.

Seahawks on the other hand I am there no matter what. When they were blacked out my brothers and sister and I would jump in a car and drive to Roslyn to watch the games. Even when they have sucked I can't not stay tuned in and root for individual players if that was all I could do.

But hate them? I don't really understand that. Do you cheer for other teams? Possibly teams that are currently on a hot streak? Have you been a Seahawks for for a long time or did you jump on recently?

kobebryant

Reaction score
My sports fandom is for the Seahawks/Lakers/Dodgers. I have no feelings at all, prositive or negative, about the Sonics or Mariners.

And even moreso than that I tend to cheer for individual players rather than teams.

OP
OP
S

SeaToTheHawks

Reaction score
RichNhansom":1m3b5u7u said:

Fair weather= hide in the shadows until they give you reason to cheer then cheer your head of.

Band wagon= the worst fans on the planet. Typically jump from team to team so they can associate themselves with a winner. Essentially trying to compensate for other things they lack in life. At least that's what I think.

I am a Seahawk fanatic but a Mariners fair weather fan and was also a Sonic fair weather fan.

I absolutely loved the 95 refuse to lose season and that era but I won't invest 162 games worth of participation for a team that just doesn't seem to either want or know how to be competitive.

Seahawks on the other hand I am there no matter what. When they were blacked out my brothers and sister and I would jump in a car and drive to Roslyn to watch the games. Even when they have sucked I can't not stay tuned in and root for individual players if that was all I could do.

But hate them? I don't really understand that. Do you cheer for other teams? Possibly teams that are currently on a hot streak? Have you been a Seahawks for for a long time or did you jump on recently?

Maybe hate is a strong word. I don't hate the Mariners or Sonics, I just never cared for them.

In terms of the Seahawks, I have some merchandise that would put this forum to shame.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
SeaToTheHawks":2xl9sgr0 said:
Is it weird that I am a diehard Seahawks fan, but hate the Mariners and hated the Sonics?

I grew up in the PNW, and have always loved the Seahawks but never cared for either the Mariners or Sonics.

This is such a hangin' curve ball, that even I won't swing at it. :mrgreen:

Personally, I'm a 'Hawks fan. I'm not an everything Seattle fan, just a 'Hawks fan.

Admittedly, I do sometimes root against the Ms, but that's just to chide Hernia. :twisted:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
LymonHawk":38veznwm said:
SeaToTheHawks":38veznwm said:

Personally, I'm a 'Hawks fan. I'm not an everything Seattle fan, just a 'Hawks fan.

Admittedly, I do sometimes root against the Ms, but that's just to chide Hernia. :twisted:
Wasn't "Edgar's double" great in the '95 playoffs???? 8)

PS. That's all the ammo I have in the lifelong Mariners fan vs lifelong Yankees fan debate. 8)

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
LymonHawk":sffb0elo said:
SeaToTheHawks":sffb0elo said:

PS. That's all the ammo I have in the lifelong Mariners can be lifelong Yankees fan debate. 8)

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
Born in Washington, grew up there, live in Omaha, NE. Loved All Seattle sports my whole life. Won't ever change.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
chris98251":ccbr1y2f said:
Life long Sonic fans loved the Sonics back in 1967, the Wilkens years when he coached were some of the best also, it was the start of the fan base reputation in this area for Pro Sports, Huskies were considered a very hostile environment in football, but the NBA found out that broadcasting can be impossible at times here. That building was actually vibrating from noise, I sat next to one of the columns during the playoffs and Championship games and you put your hand on it and it was like a pager on vibrate going off due to the noise. This was helped a bit by Brent Musburger being a dick and talking down the fan base and the city of Seattle, not to mention Bill Walton who played for the Blazers also getting involved and talking crap, something he continued doing going forward.

That carried over to the Kingdome and as Seahawks fans know the rest is history.
The Sonic Boom!Years were great,I'll never forget that championship season and being there for the Hawks/M's first season created a lifelong fan out of me.The Dawgs with Warren Moon,whipping Michigan-Woo!

OP
OP
S

SeaToTheHawks

Reaction score
RichNhansom":1bwoo4jh said:

Been a Seahawks fan for life.

Hate for the Mariners and Sonics probably is too strong of a word. I just cheer for other teams. In baseball I'm a White Sox fan, and basketball I am admittedly a bit of a bandwagon fan. I was a huge Jordan fan growing up and once he retired the NBA more or less ceased to exist to me. These days I kind of just follow the hot teams.

taco40

Reaction score
sammyc521":2k4ga921 said:
No... Seattle has shown that being a fan of one does not make you a fan of the other.

I know people that said, "I don't care if the Sonics leave as long the Mariners and Seahawks stayed." I then punched that guy in the dick.

Is this admitting that you are a short person? :les:

LymonHawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1vshlzpv said:
LymonHawk":1vshlzpv said:
SeaToTheHawks":1vshlzpv said:

PS. That's all the ammo I have in the lifelong Mariners can be lifelong Yankees fan debate. 8)

But not as cool as the Yanks knocking the Ms out of the playoffs after their great 116 win season! Neener, neener! :mrgreen:

I can't bitch too much about Edgar's double and he was one of the few Ms that I enjoyed watching...early Ichiro too. Ich played such fundamentally sound baseball, he was a pleasure to watch.