Artificial Turf Give 200+ Soccer Plyrs Cancer (inconclusive)

ivotuk

Reaction score
"When more than 50 soccer players at the University of Washington were diagnosed with cancer, assistant head coach of the women’s soccer team, Amy Griffin, grew suspicious. How could so many players—mainly goalkeepers—develop the disease after joining the team? That’s when Griffin took note of those “little black dots” out on the field, reports CNN.

The team practiced on an artificial turf field made of synthetic fibers and tire crumbs to create the appearance of grass and soil. After Griffin started digging for more information, she found that recycled tire rubber contains potentially harmful chemicals if you’re exposed to it at high levels, she told CNN."

http://www.menshealth.com/health/artifi ... ancer-risk

Uncle Si

Reaction score
An extremely misleading title, and a very disconcerting article.

For one, 50 UofW soccer players were not diagnosed with cancer. The list are players that the coach from UofW knew had contracted cancer. Not all were Huskies

The rest of the article (and this issue had been raised a few years ago) is fairly circumstantial, but is something that has continued to be vehemently researched.

"The results showed that the cancer rate among soccer players in the investigation, based on Griffin's list, was actually less than expected compared with the cancer rate among all Washington residents of similar ages."

"In fact, the Department of Health's finding of less cancer in this group of youth athletes than would be expected -- given background rates in Washington -- goes to show yet again how physical activity is among the strongest strategies for preventing cancer, and that, if anything, synthetic turf fields aid this fight against cancer," the statement said.

(found that last comment rather odd)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
This issue, or non issue depending on which side of the quasi-conspiracy theory you land on has been around for a while now.

I remember some moms cornering me about 5-6 years ago after soccer practice asking me if the turf fields we played on were safe.

All the credible reports and research I've seen hasn't given much credence to these stories. The doctors and scientists have said you'd literally have to ingest, not be exposed to these foreign particles for decades and decades, maybe even a lifetime for them to do anything to you remotely close to cancer.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
I remember hearing a sad and tragic story several years ago about a Federal Way area female soccer goalie who developed cancer and passed away after playing many seasons on the artificial turf while being exposed to those black synthetic grains. There is much to be concerned about as more of these stories come out.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":19jd7vpg said:
I remember hearing a sad and tragic story several years ago about a Federal Way area female soccer goalie who developed cancer and passed away after playing many seasons on the artificial turf while being exposed to those black synthetic grains. There is much to be concerned about as more of these stories come out.

That's essentially where this story came from. If we are thinking if the same girl she played for the coach who did this interview. At this time there is no link to the turf as a cause of any cancer, only coincidence. But the research is being done.

Also, the synthetic being used has changed drastically in the last 5 years. It's no longer recycled rubber.