Mayweather vs McGregor August 26

kidhawk

Reaction score
[urltargetblank]http://mmajunkie.com/2017/06/report-conor-mcgregor-vs-floyd-mayweather-happening-aug-26-in-las-vegas[/urltargetblank]

Fast on the heels of an approved event request to the Nevada boxing commission, the much-ballyhooed meeting between Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor is set to go down.

Citing a “well-placed source,” Yahoo! Sports reporter Kevin Iole today wrote that the bout will take place Aug. 26 in Las Vegas, the date approved by the Nevada State Athletic Commission for an event at the MGM Grand Garden Arena.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/FloydMayweather/status/875104754334023680[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/875101558584856578[/tweet]

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2ddx2ukm said:
Over/Under on McGregor landing more then 3 punches?

Or one could ask over/under $100 million for Mayweather for each punch landed by McGregor

Uncle Si

Reaction score
This fight would be more interesting if they just held it in a giant Scrooge McDuckian vault and threw gold coins at each other... because that's all that's really happening

SeatownJay

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3vl1wswh said:
Over/Under on McGregor landing more then 3 punches?
I'm sure the script calls for McGregor to land his share to look strong before Mayweather goes over at the end.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Possibly but Mayweather would risk getting knocked out if he ate a few punches. Purely boxing McGregor will get killed but he does have power and is capable of knocking anyone out so I wouldn't expect Mayweather to take that approach.

LargentFan

Reaction score
I wish this was an MMA bout. As a boxing match, I think it almost certainly goes to decision. As an MMA match, I am betting it doesn't get past the two minute mark of the first round.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Agreed. Mayweather would get embarrassed if they used MMA rules.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kidhawk":37eys5xs said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/875101558584856578[/tweet]

Who knew Mayweather was 64 years old?

As a casual fan of both boxing and MMA, this fight is intriguing. But since it's 100% boxing so that the woman beater can remain undefeated and still collect his bajillions, I'm probably not going to spend $100 to watch McGregor flail around for 10 rounds.

knownone

Reaction score
This is one of the dumbest fights in history. I hope people are wise and don't fall for the obvious cash grab.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
As someone who really likes boxing, this match annoys me. Boxing gets almost no attention, except for fights that get hyped for no reason. Just like the Mayweather-Pacman fight, this will likely disappoint.

There are some really great boxers who get no media attention. Terence Crawford, Errol Spence Jr, and Keith Thurman are all terrific fighters who I think could beat Mayweather at this point in his career, yet nobody knows about them because no one cares to talk about them.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":30bjmqa5 said:
As someone who really likes boxing, this match annoys me. Boxing gets almost no attention, except for fights that get hyped for no reason. Just like the Mayweather-Pacman fight, this will likely disappoint.

There are some really great boxers who get no media attention. Terence Crawford, Errol Spence Jr, and Keith Thurman are all terrific fighters who I think could beat Mayweather at this point in his career, yet nobody knows about them because no one cares to talk about them.

I wouldn't really call this a boxing match. It's more of a spectacle that draws in a TON of money.

2_0_6

Reaction score
I think Floyd will pull it out for the simple fact that he is used to going deep into fights, where Connor has gone no deeper than 5. In some of those longer fights he gassed out, and if he does that Floyd is going to pick him apart. Now with that being said, Connor has KO power in his hands, and could very well catch Grndpa FFloyd has been cherry picking fights for years, and is now 40.loyd and put him on his butt.

Floyd has been cherry picking fights for years, and is now 40. He isn't the 28 year old shit talker anymore that Connor now is.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3v7y1uw5 said:

Isn't Mayweather partially to blame for the lack of excitement for boxing right now?

He may be widely considered the greatest boxer of all time, but for a novice sports fan, he's the equivalent of watching paint dry in the ring. All technician and defense.

IMO this is where both sports should go, start blurring the lines a little. It's entertainment after all, and I can guarantee you even though McGregor is way out of his element he's going to make the fight entertaining.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":363jgjmc said:
Hawk-Lock":363jgjmc said:

Isn't Mayweather partially to blame for the lack of excitement for boxing right now?

He may be widely considered the greatest boxer of all time, but for a novice sports fan, he's the equivalent of watching paint dry in the ring. All technician and defense.

IMO this is where both sports should go, start blurring the lines a little. It's entertainment after all, and I can guarantee you even though McGregor is way out of his element he's going to make the fight entertaining.

I'm not sure if he is to blame. He was great at what he did. Do you fault the Harbough 49ers team for playing what a lot of people thought was boring football? My point is that the media and general public only pay attention to the big names. Casual fans only know of Mayweather, Pacman and now Golovkin. No different than how the Cowboys get a ton of national TV games regardless if they are good or not.

Boxing definitely has its issues, but recently there have been some great young boxers and some really good matches. The Joshua-Klitschko fight was great. Nothing better than seeing two heavy weights constantly landing power punches. The Thurman-Porter fight from last summer was probably one of the best fights I've ever seen. Anyone who wants to explore the more exciting side of boxing, watch that fight. If you have On Demand, they are on there.

Tical21

Reaction score
This will be the easiest fight of Mayweather's career. He will probably run away all day and prolong it, but he could end this early if he wanted to. McGregor has never seen anything on the same planet as the speed or angles he is about to encounter. Mayweather could hit him at will if he wanted and dodge everything that comes his way. I won't be watching this abomination.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Read an article that said McGregor has been getting a ton of action in Vegas, already cut the odds in half. More action has been put on this fight in the past few days than the Kovalev-Ward fight got in the last month.

For the real boxing fans, I heard Ward-Kovalev was an exciting fight. Hoping to catch the replay of it on HBO sometime next week. Andre Ward is easily one of the best pound for pound boxers, maybe the best.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":167mbjzu said:
Read an article that said McGregor has been getting a ton of action in Vegas, already cut the odds in half. More action has been put on this fight in the past few days than the Kovalev-Ward fight got in the last month.

I'd imagine there's no money to be made betting on Mayweather. Put some money down on McGregor and hope for a lucky punch and a payday.

Tical21

Reaction score
Yep. Ton of small bets on Mcgregor, all the big bets on Mayweather.

And yes, Ward looked really good. Might have been his best fight. That division dosent have a lot of competition right now so it's hard to determine how good he is.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
It's the real life version of Rocky Balboa vs. Thunderlips.