Baseballs Broken: My manifesto

gowazzu02

Reaction score
This may turn out to be a long winded rant so I apologize upfront. Ill try to space out my points in some coherent fashion. But this off season has me really questioning baseballs model.

First of all the fact that the yankees were able to get Stanton a top 5 offensive player in the game for salary relief and the stuff that falls out of your toaster when you shake it upside down is really really REALLY maddening.

Second, the constipation of the FA market is really hard to figure out. Are we really going to go into the season with Darvish, Martinez, Hosmer, Moustakis, Lynn, etc. etc. etc. all still on the market? WTF It's not like teams couldn't need those players it seems the small payroll orgs know they can't compete and are saying "why bother".

Lack of competative balance, It seems that for all intent and purpose there are about 5 or 6 teams that have any shot at winning the WS this year. Dodgers, Yankees, Red sox, Houson, Cubs, Stl, Washington. All big market teams.

Big Market teams playing small market ball. We've known forever thta small market teams can't keep their players, they can't play in FA, now they can't even swap their players for young talent. The trades we've seen have proven that the big market teams dont even have to give quality prospects away to get stud talent in return. Stanton trade, Cole trade being the two most egregious.

Draft- It's ticked me off for years that big market teams can get bargains late because theyre willing to spend the money to get the "signing risk" It seems counter productive. The top incoming talent should go to the teams that need it the most, yet thats not the case.

Add all that stuff to what we've known for years, no cap lets the yankees, red sox, angels, dodgers of the world just out spend their mistakes. We are seeing what a bad contract does to a team with Felix. But the yankees can just take the Ellsbury contract on the chin with no effect.

Basically all but 4 or 5 franchises are playing the game with one hand tied behind their back already and the recent development is tieing their other hand back too.

rant over

TL:DR=Baseballs broken

mrt144

Reaction score
This is a broader point to societal structures - a lot of stuff has gotten so far out of wack with consolidation that little folks are finding these breakdowns everywhere they look.

Stuff gets stagnant when you let the rich get richer, the powerful more powerful and fewer people control larger swaths of the same pie.

We need a little creative destruction to reset the playing field.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
gowazzu02":3bn3i0er said:
This may turn out to be a long winded rant so I apologize upfront. Ill try to space out my points in some coherent fashion. But this off season has me really questioning baseballs model.

First of all the fact that the yankees were able to get Stanton a top 5 offensive player in the game for salary relief and the stuff that falls out of your toaster when you shake it upside down is really really REALLY maddening.

Second, the constipation of the FA market is really hard to figure out. Are we really going to go into the season with Darvish, Martinez, Hosmer, Moustakis, Lynn, etc. etc. etc. all still on the market? WTF It's not like teams couldn't need those players it seems the small payroll orgs know they can't compete and are saying "why bother".

Lack of competative balance, It seems that for all intent and purpose there are about 5 or 6 teams that have any shot at winning the WS this year. Dodgers, Yankees, Red sox, Houson, Cubs, Stl, Washington. All big market teams.

Big Market teams playing small market ball. We've known forever thta small market teams can't keep their players, they can't play in FA, now they can't even swap their players for young talent. The trades we've seen have proven that the big market teams dont even have to give quality prospects away to get stud talent in return. Stanton trade, Cole trade being the two most egregious.

Draft- It's ticked me off for years that big market teams can get bargains late because theyre willing to spend the money to get the "signing risk" It seems counter productive. The top incoming talent should go to the teams that need it the most, yet thats not the case.

Add all that stuff to what we've known for years, no cap lets the yankees, red sox, angels, dodgers of the world just out spend their mistakes. We are seeing what a bad contract does to a team with Felix. But the yankees can just take the Ellsbury contract on the chin with no effect.

Basically all but 4 or 5 franchises are playing the game with one hand tied behind their back already and the recent development is tieing their other hand back too.

rant over

Great topic.

Yeah, the Stanton give away to the Yanks should have been nixed by the commish.
I liked Manford until he allowed that trade to happen. If he ever says they are striving for competitive balance in the future, he’s full of crap.

Baseball needed a salary cap 30 years ago and needs one now more than ever.

OP
OP
gowazzu02

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":17n4c1mi said:
gowazzu02":17n4c1mi said:

rant over

Great topic.

I liked Manford until he allowed that trade to happen. If he ever says they are striving for competitive balance in the future, he’s full of crap.

Hard cap AND a salary floor. The A's shouldn't be able to get rich off revenue sharing while fielding the worst org in sports.

I understand the tear down has become vogue since it worked for the cubs and astros. But the more teams go to that model the worse off the league will be, case in point the NBA.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
gowazzu02":nf8izznq said:
Sports Hernia":nf8izznq said:
gowazzu02":nf8izznq said:

rant over

Great topic.

Hard cap AND a salary floor. The A's shouldn't be able to get rich off revenue sharing while fielding the worst org in sports.

I understand the tear down has become vogue since it worked for the cubs and astros. But the more teams go to that model the worse off the league will be, case in point the NBA.
Agree 100%. Hard cap, with a floor.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Both the Royals and Astros have laid the blueprint for how to win the right way, through development..........and both not considered big market clubs with gigantic payrolls.

But that's always the way it's been, and why the Yankees have what 26 titles?

IMO baseball's broken because it's slow and boring, especially in today's ADD culture where no one can go 20 seconds without needing an endorphin fix from their phone, or changing the channel to something different.

It's an antiquated sport that flourished during a time when life was slowly paced. So we can talk all you want about payroll disparity, big markets, small markets, the draft, free agency or any of the other nuts and bolts of the cap system.

But if you're looking for the main reason viewers and fans are dwindling? It's just not an exciting sport to watch and follow anymore, not with the myriad of other sports and entertainment options out there now.

OP
OP
gowazzu02

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1r36aow5 said:
Both the Royals and Astros have laid the blueprint for how to win the right way, through development..........and both not considered big market clubs with gigantic payrolls.

IMO baseball's broken because it's slow and boring, especially in today's ADD culture where no one can go 20 seconds without needing an endorphin fix from their phone, or changing the channel to something different.

It's an antiquated sport that flourished during a time when life was slowly paced. So we can talk all you want about payroll disparity, big markets, small markets, the draft, free agency or any of the other nuts and bolts of the cap system.

But if you're looking for the main reason viewers and fans are dwindling? It's just not an exciting sport to watch and follow anymore, not with the myriad of other sports and entertainment options out there now.

I think the royals make my point more then the other way around. How long had it been since they were good? George Brett days? They finally hit on some home grown guys got a ring.... and now it is over. Cain, Moustakas and Hosmer all left. So back to the basement they will go for the next decade? Two?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
gowazzu02":4ktkqua1 said:
Sgt. Largent":4ktkqua1 said:

I think the royals make my point more then the other way around. How long had it been since they were good? George Brett days? They finally hit on some home grown guys got a ring.... and now it is over. Cain, Moustakas and Hosmer all left. So back to the basement they will go for the next decade? Two?

For sure, much harder to sustain this model of success, because unlike the Yankees they can't just fix terrible drafts or developmental farm system mistakes with a high priced free agent.

My baseball fix is easy, complete revenue sharing like the NFL. TV revenue disparity is the #1 reason big market teams can outspend everyone else.

No need for a hard cap, just consolidate all the regional TV networks into one MLB baseball network/package and share evenly.

OP
OP
gowazzu02

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2ghlow5e said:
gowazzu02":2ghlow5e said:
Sgt. Largent":2ghlow5e said:

For sure, much harder to sustain this model of success, because unlike the Yankees they can't just fix terrible drafts or developmental farm system mistakes with a high priced free agent.

My baseball fix is easy, complete revenue sharing like the NFL. TV revenue disparity is the #1 reason big market teams can outspend everyone else.

No need for a hard cap, just consolidate all the regional TV networks into one MLB baseball network/package and share evenly.

Yeah that sounds plausible, I doubt the major market teams would go for it. Not sure how that would work.