Final Four: 2018 edition

Crizilla

Reaction score
Final Four predictions here.

I have Virginia, UNC, Nova, and MSU.

Virginia is a bizarre team this year, but they've taken care of business. I don't remember a team this good on defense but this bad on offense and rebounding. They are ranked #1 in defense, but ranked in the 300's in both offense and rebounding. I can see them being knocked out early but I think they have the easiest out of the 4 regions in the bracket (South), so I'll take Virginia to make it.
South region dark horse: Kentucky

UNC because I think they'll match up with the ZAGS in the Elite 8 which means Roy Williams will write some checks under the table to the refs. Just kidding. Wait, no I'm not. Yeah, I am. Ehh. Screw UNC. I think this is the toughest region. Michigan is hot. The first round match up between Houston and SDS is a good one. Providence took Nova to OT in the Big East tourney. Xavier is in trouble.
West region dark horse: Winner of Houston/SDS

Nova because their offense is the best in the country once again. I think Purdue has the best chance to knock them out. Don't count out Florida, either. They don't jump out at you this year but they've played VERY well against ranked opponents. Florida vs. UCLA would be a nice first round matchup.
East region dark horse: Florida

MSU because I don't trust Kansas this year. Duke going 1-2 against UNC this year wasn't impressive. I hope RI destroys Oklahoma in the first round. It's pathetic Oklahoma is in this tournament. They played so poorly the last several weeks of the season which was a good enough reason to keep UW out, but not Oklahoma? They went 4-11 their past 15 games, 18-13 overall. Big 12 is so overrated this year. But I get it. I really do. NCAA needs big name schools in the tourney. The ASU/Cuse play in game is interesting. Either could be a dangerous 11 seed.
Midwest region dark horse: Auburn/winner of ASU vs. Cuse

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
This is like Christmas for me, nothing better than March Madness. I'm yet to really dig into a bracket, but I agree with your Nova pick. They have the easiest path to the final four of all the #1 seeds. That region they are in is also the easiest of the four. I got no problem with putting Michigan State in the final four, IMO they are the most talented team in the nation. The key will be if they can get past Duke in the Sweet 16. That region with Duke, Sparty, Kansas and Auburn is loaded. I think whoever wins the potential matchup of Michigan and UNC in the sweet 16 will go to the final four. The South bracket is where I'm really conflicted. There are three really great teams in that region that I can see making it, UVA, Arizona and Kentucky. I think UVA matches up better with Arizona, but we'll see. This kind of feels like it could be UVA's season.

OP
OP
Crizilla

Crizilla

Reaction score
lol Zona. Ok yeah the Pac12 had a bad season. The investigation probably took the heart out of Zona, though. They're better than that.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Hey at least the Pac is owning the NIT, 5-0!

mistaowen

Reaction score
Arizona just broke like 95% of the brackets.

sdog1981

Reaction score
mistaowen":1mbw3ld6 said:
Arizona just broke like 95% of the brackets.

yeah no kidding and in a pathetic fashion too. They did not get beat by some amazing buzz beater. They got beat down by 21 points.

OP
OP
Crizilla

Crizilla

Reaction score
I swear I was about to pick UMBC over Virginia. Virginia was TERRIBLE on offense and rebounding all year. But they dominated the ACC all season. MADNESS.

OP
OP
Crizilla

Crizilla

Reaction score
UNC, MSU, Virginia, and Cinci all gone in the first weekend.

REEEEEEEE

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Best seed left in that region is Kentucky. Looks like we may see another Calipari team in the finals.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Really looking forward to the Syracuse vs Loyola (Chi) finals.

sdog1981

Reaction score
They really effed up the seeding this season. Now the tourney feels like the Maui classic played in October. Some team will win and people will just kind of forget about them.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
sdog1981":39wdvkbv said:
They really effed up the seeding this season. Now the tourney feels like the Maui classic played in October. Some team will win and people will just kind of forget about them.

Really?

You have a 3 seed vs an 11 seed. Michigan may be the hottest team in college basketball and the Loyola story is one of the best ones we've seen in the tournament for years.

and one of them will play Villanova (recent champ) or Kansas (NCAA blue blood) in the Final.

This is a great final 4. I'm happy the two one seeds square off on Saturday as well.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Go Loyola..
Love to see the underdog take it all from the big powerhouse teams.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
March Madness is probably the greatest sporting event we have today, but it's so flawed once you get to the Final Four. I can't stand that they it in a football stadium. It happens every year, neither team can shoot because it is a tiny court in a huge stadium. It would be like taking away a batters eye in baseball. It's extremely hard to shoot a basketball when the back drop is much further away.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Yeah I was pulling for Loyola. Loved how they played. Seemed like a legit team. Michigan did a great job getting more aggressive on D and Loyola just couldn't defend the transition.

Hope Michigan is ready to get absolutely destroyed on Monday by Villanova. That team is sick. They made a really good Kansas team look like a 10 seed.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":1e9y6qkk said:
Yeah I was pulling for Loyola. Loved how they played. Seemed like a legit team. Michigan did a great job getting more aggressive on D and Loyola just couldn't defend the transition.

Hope Michigan is ready to get absolutely destroyed on Monday by Villanova. That team is sick. They made a really good Kansas team look like a 10 seed.

If Michigan can settle in and get their defense to working top notch...they have a slim chance.

:2thumbs: