MLB coming to Portland?

JSeahawks

Reaction score
It’s been talked about for years but seems to be picking up momentum. MLB wants another west coast city which would be either Portland or Vegas, but they think Vegas is tapped out with the nfl and nhl.

Personally I couldn’t care less. I’d probably never go to a game. But could make an interesting rivalry with the mariners.

They have made offers to buy land to build a privately funded stadium.

http://katu.com/news/local/portland-dia ... evelopment

chris98251

Reaction score
JSeahawks":31kis0l1 said:
It’s been talked about for years but seems to be picking up momentum. MLB wants another west coast city which would be either Portland or Vegas, but they think Vegas is tapped out with the nfl and nhl.

Personally I couldn’t care less. I’d probably never go to a game. But could make an interesting rivalry with the mariners.

Nothing could make the Mariners interesting.

This would be the first step with Nike being involved to get a NFL team there also.

The Portland Quacks might be the next step.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
chris98251":3o7915ag said:
JSeahawks":3o7915ag said:

Nothing could make the Mariners interesting.

This would be the first step with Nike being involved to get a NFL team there also.

The Portland Quacks might be the next step.
I like the idea. Gives me another venue to see MLB that isn’t too far away.
Would give Seattle a natural rivalry, I’m tired of pretending I hate the Padres. 8)

425HawkSpark

Reaction score
If they added more teams they would need to realign to conferences like NBA for playoffs rather than the current divisions.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Wouldn't the M's have a fit?Like the Baltimore/Nationals thing?

chris98251

Reaction score
IndyHawk":3cjb00os said:

Like the Soda Arena and Sonics thing..................

I at one time remember they liked a 250 mile plus difference between Cities with Franchises, not quite there and the Mariners would lose a lot of Merchandise and ticket sales.

Chapow

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1du5dppx said:

It's a pretty big difference though. The stadiums for the Orioles and Nationals are less than 40 miles apart. Seattle and Portland are 175 miles apart. With no traffic, you're talking about a 3 hour drive each way, but unless you're going in the middle of the night, there's always traffic. For that reason, I really can't see how it would affect ticket sales for the M's much. Are there really that many people coming up from the Portland area for an M's game? A 6 hour round trip at best, but likely longer? I mean, it'd be one thing if the M's were really good, but we're talking about a team that has been bad to mediocre for close to 2 decades at this point.

Makes sense that the M's wouldn't want competition for ticket sales, merchandise dollars, etc. a block or 2 away (they are a business after all), but 175 miles away? In the only major metropolitan area in between Seattle and San Francisco? I'm having a hard believing that Portland getting an MLB team would affect the M's bottom line much and other than that, I don't see why the M's would care.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Chapow":3kpp2kku said:
IndyHawk":3kpp2kku said:

It's a pretty big difference though. The stadiums for the Orioles and Nationals are less than 40 miles apart. Seattle and Portland are 175 miles apart. With no traffic, you're talking about a 3 hour drive each way, but unless you're going in the middle of the night, there's always traffic. For that reason, I really can't see how it would affect ticket sales for the M's much. Are there really that many people coming up from the Portland area for an M's game? A 6 hour round trip at best, but likely longer? I mean, it'd be one thing if the M's were really good, but we're talking about a team that has been bad to mediocre for close to 2 decades at this point.

Makes sense that the M's wouldn't want competition for ticket sales, merchandise dollars, etc. a block or 2 away (they are a business after all), but 175 miles away? In the only major metropolitan area in between Seattle and San Francisco? I'm having a hard believing that Portland getting an MLB team would affect the M's bottom line much and other than that, I don't see why the M's would care.
Maybe but I bet the M's have a decent Oregon fan base that they lose when they cannot be losing more fans
than they have already.
I understand what your saying though and you may be right.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Chapow":38jq01ux said:
IndyHawk":38jq01ux said:

I can’t speak to the Mariners, but I’m an Oregonian who had season tickets to the Seahawks for 16 years and I can tell you that every weekend there were thousands of Oregonians cruising up and down I-5 to every game, even in the down years.

Maulbert

Reaction score
JSeahawks":9w11n4pr said:
Chapow":9w11n4pr said:
IndyHawk":9w11n4pr said:

I can’t speak to the Mariners, but I’m an Oregonian who had season tickets to the Seahawks for 16 years and I can tell you that every weekend there were thousands of Oregonians cruising up and down I-5 to every game, even in the down years.

Yeah, but the Seahawks have at least been competitive throughout most of their history. I root for the Mariners, but it has been years since I felt anything that approaches enthusiasm about them, and the Seahawks recent success has only driven them further from my heart. Plus, and I know this won't matter to Oregonian fans, their shenanigans when Chris Hansen was trying to build a Sodo arena made me just want to give them the middle finger.

hannibalking

Reaction score
I got it... they can give Portland a baseball team in the AL West and then move Houston to another division. :D

I joke about Houston, but they were put in the AL West to make it so every division had 5 teams per, so what happens when you introduce another team? I assume if Portland got one they’d give another city a team to even things out and up it to 16 in the NL and AL. So do they create a 4th division and shuffle some teams around, or what? I’d assume they just steal a team from California and give it to Portland to avoid all that.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
Do you think they have a good enough market to support a major league team there? Do they have a minor league team there now? I just wondered if somebody knows.

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":32t0473l said:
Do you think they have a good enough market to support a major league team there? Do they have a minor league team there now? I just wondered if somebody knows.

There is short season A ball in Hillsboro just outside of Portland.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
The Maricopa County Board of Directors just voted this week to allow the Arizona Diamondbacks to leave Chase Field after 2022 in order to put to bed a lawsuit between the team and the county that's been going on for 16 months regarding upgrade and maintenance costs. There's a clause in the agreement that will allow them to leave Arizona completely if MLB finds that the stadium conditions in Arizona are not up to their standard. If Portland gets a proposal together in time, maybe they can make a play for the team.

https://deadspin.com/diamondbacks-tryin ... 1825959027

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/m ... 597057002/

Threedee

Reaction score
hannibalking":guoikbz3 said:
I got it... they can give Portland a baseball team in the AL West and then move Houston to another division. :D

I joke about Houston, but they were put in the AL West to make it so every division had 5 teams per, so what happens when you introduce another team? I assume if Portland got one they’d give another city a team to even things out and up it to 16 in the NL and AL. So do they create a 4th division and shuffle some teams around, or what? I’d assume they just steal a team from California and give it to Portland to avoid all that.

Steal the Padres, and crush the soul of San Diego fans for good?

Atradees

Reaction score
I was from Oregon and MLB fans do flock to the Ms.

This is an exciting team. No More Erasmo Ramirez Please or Gallardo. Puzzling moves....

Segura, Haniger et al......all those exciting moves,,,,,winning fixes everything. The Diamond Backs would bee better than starting from scratch.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Atradees":11akp4tm said:
I was from Oregon and MLB fans do flock to the Ms.

This is an exciting team. No More Erasmo Ramirez Please or Gallardo. Puzzling moves....

Segura, Haniger et al......all those exciting moves,,,,,winning fixes everything. The Diamond Backs would bee better than starting from scratch.

I grew up in Oregon and the dismal TV coverage of the Ms prevented me from being a fan. That's how I became a Red Sox fan in the 80s.

Atradees

Reaction score
seems like there were more televised games in Oregon. I think maybe I still had comcast and Root Sports back then. i refuse to pay 200 a month for Comcast. I am not seeing many games less I go out.