Gonzaga BB - 2018-19

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
This may be the best squad yet. Just added a much needed back court piece combo guard Geno Crandall. Dude singlehandledly nearly beat Zags back in November taking the game to OT.

Big-time non-conference schedule including the Maui Classic.

Only real question is health of Josh Perkins, but all reports are he'll be ready.

Rui Hachimura, Killian Tillie, Brandon Clarke, Perkins, Crandall, Norvell, Kispert -- 7 guys who could each go 20+ any night and also defend.

Pre-season top-3 and unlimited potential.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I saw one preseason poll having the Zags as the #1 team. They will be great, it will simply come down to whether they can get it done in March. I fully expect them do well in the non conference, dominate (probably go undefeated in the conference), and at least make the Sweet 16.

Zags have simply become Transfer U of the west coast. From Wiltjer to Jonathan Williams, they seem to get one or two great transfers each season.

I full expect Norvell to be their best player next season. I think a lot will come down to Perkins, he is the floor general of that team, and he has a tendency to disappoint. If he can play great all season, they'll be very hard to top.

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Totally agree on Norvell. Hachimura will get all the hype going into the season but Norvell can flat out light it up. I even think he's the best NBA prospect on the roster.

Tical21

Reaction score
Since when did we decide NWAACC basketball deserved it's own thread?

Crizilla

Reaction score
Tical21":1ed43tb4 said:
Since when did we decide NWAACC basketball deserved it's own thread?

Zags have earned their own threads. Nuff said.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Dang you guys already beat me to the punch this year. I have to disagree some on Norvell I think he will be great but Rui is incredible.I expect a huge jump this year and as such he will be top scorer on this team. Brandon Clarke should be huge for us as well. Our frontcourt will be loaded.
I take that back our whole team will be loaded.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Zags will be back to E8 and possibly more. I dont get the hate for a small school. Honestly UW is my least favorite Washington state team but if they are in tournament im rooting for them.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Although I don’t follow every move (not a huge BB fan), the Bulldogs have been my favorite since the Stockton days.

Always pull for them in the tournament.
A880ab4fbd08c102766f38b8b4b92a90

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Zags looked prety sloppy in exhibition game but I guess thats to be expected. the real news is Gonzaga lost Killian Tillie for 8 weeks or so and Jacob Larsen is gone for the year. We went from a pretty loaded front court to very thin.
Losing Tillie for all our big non conference schedule really hurts.

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Yeah -- need the frosh big to step up but he didn't really show much in the exhibition game. From all reports he'll be OK.

Crandall looked really good which should take some pressure off the lighting-rod Perkins.

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
The freshman guard Will Foster I think will play tonight. There is some thought he might redshirt but based on the exhibition game Foster is ahead of Ayiyi in the rotation and one of those guys needs to contribute. Foster looked much more ready no reason to make him sit a year.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Greg Foster, and I was surprised as well but Joel Ayayi is still very young.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Zags score over one hundred again. Lots of offensive firepower. Lacking in size underneath, they will be exposed against better competition. They need Tillie back to compete against the top teams coming up but alas he is gone for all the big games. Even Jacob Larsen could have helped.

Ruminator

Reaction score
Texas Southern was no slouch -- they played stronger than the final score would indicate but just couldn't get to the basket often enough. Was mildly surprised Gonzaga topped 100 despite many missed shots in the first half. Clarke was a bad-ass and I look forward to watching him all season. Perkins' style sometimes reminds me of Gary Payton. How long is Tillie out?

Edit: Tillie is out 7 weeks according to http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/n ... thumps-te/

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Signing Day today --- top 5 class by most rankings. Two of the top in state players, one national 4-5star guy and another international star and probably going to add another player.

Hate on Gonzaga if you still want to, but this is a top 10 national program by any reasonable analysis and will be a final 4 contender as long as Mark Few still continues to coach.

And frankly, there's plenty of reason to believe it continues long after that.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Maui Invitational starts today! CBB is my favorite sport, will be sitting back and watching most the games. Zags got a nice draw as they will avoid Auburn and Duke until the finals. Most people will see Arizona and think they are a great team, but they aren't. This isn't your usual Arizona team. They are rebuilding, they are probably a fringe NCAA tournament team this season.

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
I agree I think it will be Gonzaga/Iowa State in the 2nd round which will be tough. I hate to say it but with their lack of depth right now they are over ranked at #3. Hard to see them winning 3 games in 3 days with a 7 man rotation.

Ruminator

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":1806j24v said:
I agree I think it will be Gonzaga/Iowa State in the 2nd round which will be tough. I hate to say it but with their lack of depth right now they are over ranked at #3. Hard to see them winning 3 games in 3 days with a 7 man rotation.

Good point. We'll see!

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Great game. Kispert almost lost them the game. He had the uncalled for turnover and then fouled the guy, then I think next time down he put Hachimura in a terrible spot which led to a turnover. Few was smart to pull him. Little guy on Illinois can play

I say this all the time, but if Zags play in a power conference they probably lose a handful of games each season, but so do all the great teams. Illinois is picked near last in the Big 10, but big difference between power conference players and guys from the WCC. I actually think Zags will have an easier time with Arizona tomorrow. Brad Underwood is such a great coach, there is a reason why Oklahoma St got him and then Illinois was able to get him a season later. Some great games from this tourney, would be awesome to go one. If UW decides to play in it, I may have to go.