Seattle Kraken Hockey

silverandgold

Reaction score
I have seen a lot of people ask names for the NHL team in Seattle. I have seen names such as Sockeye, Steelheads, and Totems. Names that I think do not have flavor in Ice Hockey, I thought a good name would be using a local marine animal for the name. I present to you the Seattle Seals.

Now some of you will disagree with this name, but I think it really fits the overall theme of Ice Hockey and Seattle. Lots of teams are named after maritime animals and they sound pretty impressive, such the Pittsburgh Penguins, San Jose Sharks, and Anaheim Ducks. Now I think the word "Seal" is a good addition to this tradition because sometimes if you see a cartoon with funny animals in it if there's a hockey scene you will see like Penguins, Seals, and Polar Bears playing the sport. I think also that SEAls rhyme with SEAttle, just like the SEAhawks. Also, most people outside the Seattle area would find the name Seal more memorable and marketable (it is short and easy to say).

I think the name "sockeyes" would sound silly to people outside the pacific northwest, they would imagine a pair of socks in place of eyes. Steelheads also sound like un-hockey like. I mean those things are fish, FISH of all things! Fish are not intimidating, they are like the bottom of the food chain. Also, let's not forget that sockeyes and steelheads are eaten by Seals. Sure seals also have predators themselves but they are also top predators of their habitat in some ways. I mean there are some species of Seals that eat PENGUINS! (look it up on youtube) and some species of Seals you do not want to mess with!

I think Totems sound like a junior hockey name, most people are not gonna take the name "Totems" seriously, it's like naming your team the "Statues" or "Arcs". It has to make sense with the climate of Hockey and how there is a trend of naming a team after aquatic animals.

You may disagree and that is ok, but I stand with my belief that the name "Seattle Seals" is the perfect name.

Feel free to discuss why you disagree or agree, but you have to be constructive and back up your arguments.

BubbaGump

Reaction score
I actually like how the Seattle Tsunami sounds. But in today’s PC world thus would never be allowed.

massari

Reaction score
Emeralds, Pilots or Metropolitans.

The Seattle Metropolitans were the first American Stanley Cup champs.

BT0jmRi MzFqcRK T1zb9Iq

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
I’m still partial to the sockeye name.. the double meaning coupled with a possible logo of a cartoonish salmon with a black eye and a boxing glove on would be unique, hilarious, and badass imo

IndyHawk

Reaction score
The Pilots were our first MLB team for one year until Bud Selig
stole the team and they became the Brewers..I guess stole is
too big of a term.
The team went bankrupt and he got them.
I don't want that name ..Why not the Sonics???
Leave the crappy names for NBA basketball lol.

Greenhell

Reaction score
I like the Seattle Sasquatch. Or the Kraken

BlueThunder

Reaction score
chris98251":bd7a9lva said:

Yep. Kraken. I hope this one wins. I was a little "meh" on it at first, but it's grown on me. It's really original and different. Just imagine the pregame... The other team has had their intro's and has taken the ice. Then the lights go down, lasers and disco ball lights only. The music starts pumping loud (something heavy rock and a bit ominous). Then the Announcer yells out in a guttural voice "RELEASE.... THE KRAKEN!!!". And then our player intro's begin and they take the ice. Oh, C'mon! That would be awesome! It would be cooler than Squatch rappelling from the rafters before Sonics games!

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Seattle Kraken is my choice but I don't think it will happen. It's too esoteric and edgy, and they will go with something safe.

The red and black color scheme tells me it will be the Totems or Sockeyes. Red and black is a very popular color scheme for pacific northwest tribal art.

I have a feeling it will be the Seattle Sockeyes just because "Totem" will get us into racial/cultural appropriation things (not trying to spark that debate just saying in this day and age they may wanna avoid it all together)

BlueThunder

Reaction score
Hawknballs":2u1oz686 said:
Seattle Kraken is my choice but I don't think it will happen. It's too esoteric and edgy, and they will go with something safe.

The red and black color scheme tells me it will be the Totems or Sockeyes. Red and black is a very popular color scheme for pacific northwest tribal art.

I have a feeling it will be the Seattle Sockeyes just because "Totem" will get us into racial/cultural appropriation things (not trying to spark that debate just saying in this day and age they may wanna avoid it all together)

Sockeye's would probably be my second choice, but to make it really cool, it'd have to have the right logo. Something with a black eye ala the Rat City Roller Girls logo.

RCRG Logo

Girly I know, but it's baddass at the same time. Something more on the manly side of course...

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Rhodies

best thing is.. cool emblem and you arn't limited to the color you want.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Hawknballs":2yeu027m said:

I would think you are probably right on that.

But Kraken is just too awesome to pass up, too.

BlueThunder

Reaction score
Bobblehead":1s6y0tin said:
Rhodies

best thing is.. cool emblem and you arn't limited to the color you want.

Hey, that cool you wanna come out in this forum man. I'm alright with it.... :lol: J/K buddy.... :D

Bobblehead

Reaction score
LOL.. ok ok.

Hey, one of the fiercest most respected group of fighters in WW2 used the little edelweiss as their emblem.. no one ever teased them about it.

BlueThunder

Reaction score
Bobblehead":2rofmqy8 said:
LOL.. ok ok.

Hey, one of the fiercest most respected group of fighters in WW2 used the little edelweiss as their emblem.. no one ever teased them about it.

Yeah, they were baddasses... but we'd be teased about that nowadays... lol... I just want something baddass.

No big bud. I appreciate the vids you've sent me over the years! I'm just givin' ya shit! heh heh