Gonzaga BB 2019-20 Thread

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Starting new thread because:

1) Transfer and Early Departure activity is really about next year.
2) Always fun to torture those who just hate Gonzaga.

Rui has declared, which was expected. Very interested to see about Clarke, Tillie and Norvell. I think Clarke and Tillie both make the leap, with Norvell at least testing the waters. Norvell has a lot to gain coming back as he will be the top guy in the back court and should really be able to improve his game.

Tillie may not be ready for the NBA but he'll make plenty of money in Europe. Clarke is an interesting case I'm not really sure what his NBA prospects are but he's definitely got everyone's attention and I'm not sure coming back increases his value.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Rui and Clarke are gone and it seems as though Norvell is gone as well. Which surprises me greatly. He isn't ready and would do himself a lot of good improving his ball handling skills and getting some PG duties. Not sure if he is just testing the waters but the way he is handling it, it makes it seem like he is gone. Perplexing decision because he is the only one of the four that could fall entirely out of the draft and is certainly not a first round pick. Whatever, its his life and his choice and if he goes I hope it works out for him.

Tillie will be gone as well I am sure. If he doesn't get drafted I am sure he will make good money overseas.

As for the 2019-2020 Zags its going to be a rough year I expect. First year in a long time the possibility of not making the tournament is very real. I don't expect that but certainly wouldn't be shocked.
Lot of incoming young talent, perhaps the best class we have ever had but some of the recruits are extremely young and all are inexperienced obviously.
We will have at least 3 true freshman starters and more freshman coming off the bench. I expect some rough games to start the year but hopefully Few can get this team playing well in time for the tournament.
I would be ecstatic if we would be able to keep our sweet sixteen streak going.

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Killie declares and now Petrusev as well? 5 guys in the draft pool? It's possible 1 or more may pull back but this is insane.

Tical21

Reaction score
How many years before Gonzaga beats UW again?

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Zags pick up one of, if not the best, PG transfer this year in Admon Gilder. This is huge for GU as they were in dire need of an experienced PG that could run a team. Ravet is a good player but that is asking a lot of a freshman (who played at state B level) to come in and run this team. I think he will contribute, especially offensively, but I bet Admon is the starter.
He brings top notch defensive ability and a lot of experience. This is really big for the Zags tournament chances next year.
Some are saying the Zags will pick up another guard transfer as well so they are not done yet.

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Yeah this was huge the backcourt was awfully thin.

I think Killie comes back but looks like Norvell will rate a 2nd round pick so that will probably be enough for him to make the jump.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Well Tillie is back and as I surmised Norvell wasn't even drafted. I have no idea why he was so intent on leaving. Maybe bad info? He said he was being told he would be drafted in the 20 to 40 range and when I heard that I just kind of rolled my eyes. I think he really believed that.
He would have been well served to come back and work on his game this off season. Not even drafted does not bode well for him.

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Yeah it sucks about Norvell but I think he'll play in the D-league and eventually make some money overseas. It didn't really do him any good to stay another year.

Hard to really predict the team this year. Going to rely on a lot of freshman. Just seems to me that if they have to play Brock Ravet big minutes that doesn't bode well. Not sure how I feel about going from AA league to big time NCAA. St. Mary's brings back most of their roster so this may be their year.... although if the new talent steps up Gonzaga will still be heavy favorites.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Hawkstorian: Ravet played in Class 2B for Kittitas, enrollment under 200. VERY small school. The enrollment figure I found for his school was about 140

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Yeah -- he probably should redshirt and practice against top competition for a year but the way this roster is shaping up he might start.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
All I know is that UW has a great chance of beating Gonzaga.

Norvell did what a lot of college kids do, they opt for the NBA even if there is a chance they go undrafted. Kids don't want to be in college, they want to play in the developmental leagues or overseas and make money. Just because you go back to college another season or two doesn't mean you will improve your stock. If he wasn't getting drafted this season, not sure going back to Gonzaga would have helped him all that much.

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Added another grad transfer guard. It will be good to have more experience in the backcourt and give Brock time to develop.

I still have no idea how good this team will be. Totally agree that GU vs. UW is a fair fight for the first time in a long while.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
The backcourt is said to be maybe one of the best defensive back courts GU has had. Zags will make march madness. Its way too early to see how deep.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I find it laughable so many try to say another year to develop will not help. It has helped many GU players in the past and they went on to be drafted after not even being on mock draft sites in the years prior.
Norvell had a LOT of stuff to work on. His handle is poor his shooting is spotty and his defense was so so. I knew the minute he declared he was not going to be drafted. I hope he manages to work his way into the league but he has a TOUGH road ahead of him to make it.
I'm not of the mind set that they have to stay but he would have been better served to stay and improve his stock because now teams have nothing invested in him. You get drafted and they are committed to that pick for at least a few years.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Natethegreat":1yaiz4lr said:
I find it laughable so many try to say another year to develop will not help. It has helped many GU players in the past and they went on to be drafted after not even being on mock draft sites in the years prior.
Norvell had a LOT of stuff to work on. His handle is poor his shooting is spotty and his defense was so so. I knew the minute he declared he was not going to be drafted. I hope he manages to work his way into the league but he has a TOUGH road ahead of him to make it.
I'm not of the mind set that they have to stay but he would have been better served to stay and improve his stock because now teams have nothing invested in him. You get drafted and they are committed to that pick for at least a few years.

But just because he goes back doesn't mean he will improve his draft stock. How many guys stay all four years, and then go undrafted? Each player is unique, but for every guy that improves his draft stock by staying, there is a guy who hurts his draft stock by staying. But most cases, guys stock stays the same. I would much rather leave college and make money overseas or in the developmental league than stay four years and do the same.

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
It's so strange how most of the recruiting news now is about bigs. Then they have to scramble to finish the roster with grad transfer guards. I wonder if this is just how it's going to be for the next few years.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Reports are that GU beat Michigan State today pretty handily(103-87). Its just a scrimmage but that is encouraging as most expect MSU to be ranked number 1 to start the year.
Our guards were said to be very solid which would be huge. Our frontline we already know will be good. Tillie didn't even play in the game

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Natethegreat":rdohh0ua said:
Reports are that GU beat Michigan State today pretty handily(103-87). Its just a scrimmage but that is encouraging as most expect MSU to be ranked number 1 to start the year.
Our guards were said to be very solid which would be huge. Our frontline we already know will be good. Tillie didn't even play in the game
Oh my, very encouraging