What? No Derby Thread?

D

DomeHawk

Conflicted on my opinion but many of those in the know seem to support it. I wonder about the lousy condition of the track though, i.e., "Act of God."

Chawker

Reaction score
I think that the real problem lies in three folds.

1. The trainer for not preparing the horse for running in front of a large crowd.

2. The horse for doing it.

3. The jockey for not responding quicker then what he did.

They where lucky nobody got hurt. :34853_doh:

toffee

Reaction score
The president has spoken:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1125067530828173313[/tweet]

Largent80

Reaction score
Long time Horse racing person here. If a horse is in front which Maximum Security was ALL THE WAY AROUND THE TRACK, then it's up to any other horse trying to challenge to do so outside or inside of the horse in the lead. They need to do so safely and well outside or inside of the leading horse.
NONE of those horses were even threats to M.S. going down the stretch. Yes he drifted out a bit but so what?

If Castroneves was in front on the last lap of the Indy 500 and he drifted out into another cars path would HE be disqualified?.....No, that horse won the Derby fair and square. There's no arguments or lame excuses like you see in the above post.

Ive been attending races for over 50 years and NEVER have I see a jockeys objection take a horse down that was in front all the way around the track and were talking 1 1/4 miles !!!!.

That was the worst call I've ever seen in all my years. It totally discredits the legitimacy of stewards and even Churchill Downs. There is no way 20 horses should run in that race, it's a recipe for disaster. Speaking of disasters, there WASN'T one, which makes the call even worse.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Ive read the same as Largent80. Although, indy cars allow for blocking so not an apt metaphor.

The only contrast was that there may have been a horse on the move. Not sure which one, but apparently MS leaning disrupted that horses advance.

Still... a bs decision