Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mariners ‘19-‘20 offseason thread

Discuss any and all other sports-related topics. From the College Sports, Fantasy Sports, Archery to Water Polo and everything in between. LANGUAGE: PG-13
  • FalconsFanNW wrote:
    hawksfansinceday1 wrote:End of May? Ms should be 12 games back by then.

Most likely. I still think they are a team that will be making some noise soon.

Likely 2021 when the young studs are all up together (see Kelenic and friends) but they are going to somehow come up with some quality arms or it will all be for not.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Re: Mariners ‘19-‘20 offseason thread
Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:13 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    FalconsFanNW wrote:

Likely 2021 when the young studs are all up together (see Kelenic and friends) but they are going to somehow come up with some quality arms or it will all be for not.

Yep, all about pitching.
    Wish I shared you guys' outlook, but I don't. I'm afraid they've beat me into perpetual pessimism.
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:20 am
  • Sounds like they will be going big on free agents in 2021 season.

Lookout Landing has a nice summary of what players they could target at positions of need. Good pitchers will be there
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:18 pm
  • FalconsFanNW wrote:

Might as well be their team mantra. I've heard that every year since '03.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:55 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:
    FalconsFanNW wrote:

Think there is an actual long term plan in place this time though

(Fingers crossed emoji)
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Uncle Si wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    FalconsFanNW wrote:

(Fingers crossed emoji)

Believe it or not, I DO want the Mariners to win. I just don't have any faith in them. The Mariners are the reason I get so annoyed when the local Eeyores piss and moan about Hawks teams that consistently win 10 games a year.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• hawksfansinceday1 wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    FalconsFanNW wrote:

Yep, all about pitching.
    Wish I shared you guys' outlook, but I don't. I'm afraid they've beat me into perpetual pessimism.

All pessimism of the Seattle Mariners franchise is well earned, and deserved.
    I don’t blame anyone for those feelings.

I do however see the talent in the minors that is almost ready, that’s what I’m excited about.
    Now does that mean these young guys will be automatic superstars? Nope! (See Dustin Ackley etc etc).
    Kyle Lewis’ short stint in September in Seattle is hopefully a small glimpse of the success this young core will have.

IMHO obtaining quality arms is going to be the monumental task at hand.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Uncle Si wrote:Sounds like they will be going big on free agents in 2021 season.

Lookout Landing has a nice summary of what players they could target at positions of need. Good pitchers will be there

Cool.
    I’ll check it out.
    :2thumbs:
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Maulbert wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    FalconsFanNW wrote:

(Fingers crossed emoji)

Believe it or not, I DO want the Mariners to win. I just don't have any faith in them. The Mariners are the reason I get so annoyed when the local Eeyores piss and moan about Hawks teams that consistently win 10 games a year.

No doubt.

it takes a special kind of ineptitude to convince fans to get excited about the potential of spending money 2 seasons from now...
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Maulbert wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    FalconsFanNW wrote:

(Fingers crossed emoji)

Well said and sums up my feelings also.
    Oh, and fire Pete
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• Sports Hernia wrote:
    FalconsFanNW wrote:

Sports Hernia wrote:
    hawksfansinceday1 wrote:IMHO obtaining quality arms is going to be the monumental task at hand.

Reminds me of my days in Georgia growing up a Braves fan... garbage team for the mid/late 80's... Tom Glavine comes up along with Steve Avery and the Braves traded for a young pitcher in '87 named John Smoltz.

It all came together in 1991. Picking Maddux up in free agency in 1992 was icing on the cake.

I've seen this before. It all begins with quality arms. I think the Mariners do have a long term plan in place and I agree 2021 might be a good year.
    FalconsFanNW
    NET Starter

• I was in Southern Cal during the 90's when the Angels went through a similar pattern. They were buying high-priced older free agents to put butts in the seats while not really having a plan in place to build a decent farm system for long term success. In fact, they were trading away prospects for veterans that were good players, but not really long term answers. M's fans will recognize the pattern, it's what has been happening over the last 10-15 years. It leaves the team doing 'well' but always dancing on the edge of the playoffs, winning a lot of games but never quite good enough.

DiPoto seems to have a long term outlook, and ownership seems to be giving him some time to work the plan. There are never any guarantees in sports, but at least it looks like there is a real plan in place. Not sure I'll live long enough to see the fruits of it, but some of these young guys look really exciting to watch play.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• This might be the worst injury I've ever seen. I really felt like Mitch had a chance to be something special and maybe still does, hopefully he can get healthy.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

• Divish on our top 5 prospects.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mar ... ects-list/

Led by Julio Rodriguez, the Mariners have five players in Baseball America’s Top 100 prospects list

Two years ago, Kyle Lewis stood as the Mariners’ lone prospect worthy of high-level recognition by those who measure such things, specifically Baseball America’s Top 100 prospects in baseball. The Mariners’ farm system was so threadbare that it was considered the worst of the 30 teams in baseball by Baseball America and other outlets.

The ignominy of that situation led General Manager Jerry Dipoto and Director of Player Development Andy McKay to downplay the importance and validity of it all.

“I do respect Baseball America a lot,” McKay said at the time. “I don’t read it. I haven’t read it since I’ve been involved in professional baseball. The rankings in general, you look at what that job is, and it’s evaluate what happens in the past and predict what’s going to happen in the future. It’s not just really information I care a whole lot about, to be honest with you.”

But thanks to the organization’s step-back plan, which featured multiple trades of established players for prospects, and the last three amateur drafts under Scott Hunter, the team’s director of amateur scouting, those rankings might have a little more meaning to the Mariners.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• I have been a M's fan from the start and those were some
    horrible teams but I can remember the Dome being full
    and still remember the "Rupe" chants (Ruppert Jones)
    We always had some really good players but never
    enough as big money teams bought more..
    You would think in today's era it should be easier with
    a luxury tax but doesn't seem to be...I hope this rebuild
    is done correctly and ends the years of nothing.
    I haven't gave up but I understand those who have it
    gets hard to support garbage.
    I love the game so that isn't going to change.
    I got to see the Cubs end their years of nothing and I
    would love to see the M's do it as well.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• sutz wrote:Divish on our top 5 prospects.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mar ... ects-list/

Led by Julio Rodriguez, the Mariners have five players in Baseball America’s Top 100 prospects list

Two years ago, Kyle Lewis stood as the Mariners’ lone prospect worthy of high-level recognition by those who measure such things, specifically Baseball America’s Top 100 prospects in baseball. The Mariners’ farm system was so threadbare that it was considered the worst of the 30 teams in baseball by Baseball America and other outlets.

The ignominy of that situation led General Manager Jerry Dipoto and Director of Player Development Andy McKay to downplay the importance and validity of it all.

“I do respect Baseball America a lot,” McKay said at the time. “I don’t read it. I haven’t read it since I’ve been involved in professional baseball. The rankings in general, you look at what that job is, and it’s evaluate what happens in the past and predict what’s going to happen in the future. It’s not just really information I care a whole lot about, to be honest with you.”

But thanks to the organization’s step-back plan, which featured multiple trades of established players for prospects, and the last three amateur drafts under Scott Hunter, the team’s director of amateur scouting, those rankings might have a little more meaning to the Mariners.

I can't wait to see them flounder with us and/or become perennial all-stars somwhere else.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Does it have to be every post, Maulbert?

Your feelings in the Ms are clear and documented. And noknes arguing the past or present. But there are folks interested in the future. Can they just post for discussion purposes without a snide and negative comment distracting from it?
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• IndyHawk wrote:I have been a M's fan from the start and those were some
    horrible teams but I can remember the Dome being full
    and still remember the "Rupe" chants (Ruppert Jones)
    We always had some really good players but never
    enough as big money teams bought more..
    You would think in today's era it should be easier with
    a luxury tax but doesn't seem to be...I hope this rebuild
    is done correctly and ends the years of nothing.
    I haven't gave up but I understand those who have it
    gets hard to support garbage.
    I love the game so that isn't going to change.
    I got to see the Cubs end their years of nothing and I
    would love to see the M's do it as well.

Same for me.. I remember my season tickets as a kid were in a book, all color coded, like you'd buy from high school athletes fund raising for their sport.

There's a lot of good young players coming up. Very interested to see who the Ms choose to keep and whom they trade to get these big free agent signings that are on the horizon.. and when that happens.

I thought they might add one or two big names over the winter meetings.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• bevellisthedevil
    NET Veteran

• bevellisthedevil wrote:

As a M’s fan from day one, at this point I’d probably take it and go to the “awarded” WS parade. 8)
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Sports Hernia wrote:
    bevellisthedevil wrote:

As a M’s fan from day one, at this point I’d probably take it and go to the “awarded” WS parade. 8)

I'd definately try to fly out there just to be a part of that..
    That would be so awesome.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:45 pm
  • bevellisthedevil wrote:

The only way they ever win one
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• hawksfansinceday1 wrote:
    bevellisthedevil wrote:

The only way they ever win one

:sarcasm_on: I was told we can't be negative about the Mariners. :sarcasm_off:
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Organize the parade, Maulbert!!!!

(xoxoxoxo)
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• For the first time in the 10 years I have worked at my employer, we has chosen not to renew his package of 6 season tickets. Going to be LOTS of open seats this summer
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

• Let me save the M's fans some time.

The hype train will start in spring like this team is turning a new page. They'll alocate money to a position that doesn't need it, then tade away any good prospect for another redundant player. PR teams will overhype the crap out Of a failed mess to sell tickets/merch to unsuspecting rubes. Finally, The Mariners will look good for the first month, then play sub-par baseball the rest of the season. Culminating in another pitiful playoffless finish.

That's Mariners baseball. There is no reason to watch or entertain this team whatsoever. Watch a leaky faucet instead, just as eventful (maybe more so).

They have to be one of the worst professonal franchises in all of sports. A culture of mediocrity and losing runs deep with this team. Can we trade the whole team for a large pizza (or anything else remotely good or useable)?

:D
    SSH
    NET Bench Warmer

• SSH wrote:Let me save the M's fans some time.

The hype train will start in spring like this team is turning a new page. They'll alocate money to a position that doesn't need it, then tade away any good prospect for another redundant player. PR teams will overhype the crap out Of a failed mess to sell tickets/merch to unsuspecting rubes. Finally, The Mariners will look good for the first month, then play sub-par baseball the rest of the season. Culminating in another pitiful playoffless finish.

That's Mariners baseball. There is no reason to watch or entertain this team whatsoever. Watch a leaky faucet instead, just as eventful (maybe more so).

They have to be one of the worst professonal franchises in all of sports. A culture of mediocrity and losing runs deep with this team. Can we trade the whole team for a large pizza (or anything else remotely good or useable)?

They are definitely the worst MLB franchise, and you can probably make a case for them being the worst sports franchise. Never been to a WS. Made playoffs like 4 times in 40+ years. Just a terribly ran franchise.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:57 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:
    SSH wrote:Let me save the M's fans some time.

They are definitely the worst MLB franchise, and you can probably make a case for them being the worst sports franchise. Never been to a WS. Made playoffs like 4 times in 40+ years. Just a terribly ran franchise.

Agree, a total joke of a franchise and definitely one of the absolute worst in the history of North American pro sports. I watch them only because A) it's summer and there's little else to watch and B) they're a Seattle team.
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• It's not as if M's fans don't know this. And if they didn't, they could just read up a few posts.

What's the point in regurgitating the same sad stats and narratives in these threads?
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Uncle Si wrote:It's not as if M's fans don't know this. And if they didn't, they could just read up a few posts.

What's the point in regurgitating the same sad stats and narratives in these threads?

Catharsis for the stupidity of still caring about this franchise?
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• I’m not trying to hammer down on how bad they are, that was my first “Mariners Suck” post in close to a year. But I’m not going to blow smoke up their ass like some fans do either.

In a year or two we will find out if Dipoto knows what he is doing.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Uncle Si wrote:It's not as if M's fans don't know this. And if they didn't, they could just read up a few posts.

This is how some of us cope. You can ignore us, you know.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:13 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:It's not as if M's fans don't know this. And if they didn't, they could just read up a few posts.

There's too many of you to ignore Maulbert.. it's like the sun killing me slowly while i walk in the desert.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:19 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:It's not as if M's fans don't know this. And if they didn't, they could just read up a few posts.

There's too many of you to ignore Maulbert.. it's like the sun killing me slowly while i walk in the desert.

Be honest.... is it us, or the Mariners?
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:47 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:

The mariners are the desert...
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:18 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:

The mariners are the desert...

The desert is only that big BECAUSE they are the Mariners.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Taijuan Walker is back on a one year deal.

Will be curious to see how he does. He'll be on a pitch count early until they find out how his rehab on elbow and shoulder went, but looks like he'll be in the rotation.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mar ... -mariners/

Mariners sign pitcher Taijuan Walker, completing a reunion months in the making

PEORIA, Ariz. — The last time Taijuan Walker had set foot in the Mariners’ spring training clubhouse was April 2016. But on Wednesday morning, as Mariners pitchers and catchers reported for their physicals, Walker was back in the place where he appeared in his first major league camp.

The Mariners announced Wednesday evening that Walker had signed a one-year contract. Earlier in the day, multiple sources confirmed that Walker was coming back to the team that drafted, developed and gave him his first opportunity in the big leagues to fill out the final spot in Seattle’s starting rotation. ESPN’s Jeff Passan reported that Walker will earn $2 million in salary with performance bonuses that could push it to $3 million.

Walker also provided his own confirmation before the announcement, tweeting out an old picture of himself in a Mariners uniform with the caption “Let’s gooo!!” and some emojis.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• Altavilla :34853_doh:

I really want to love the kid, he throws some fire, but damn. 20 pitches today and he gives up 2 HR and 2 doubles. He's got no options left IIRC, so it's make the 26 or go home for him. I think we have to DFA and hope somebody grabs him.

:229031_shrug:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• sutz wrote:Altavilla :34853_doh:

I really want to love the kid, he throws some fire, but damn. 20 pitches today and he gives up 2 HR and 2 doubles. He's got no options left IIRC, so it's make the 26 or go home for him. I think we have to DFA and hope somebody grabs him.

:229031_shrug:

The guy has pitched pretty good at times..Not sure it's time to give up yet.
    Meanwhile last years rule 5 pickup and one of my favorites (Brandon Brennan)
    is pitching pretty damn good.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:36 am
  • Can't get a damn break. :evil:

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mar ... ter-spots/

Dylan Moore’s wrist injury clouds situation surrounding Mariners’ final roster spots
    March 10, 2020 at 6:23 pm Updated March 10, 2020 at 6:31 pm

PEORIA, Ariz. — Like the intermittent weather in the Phoenix area Tuesday, the situation with the Mariners’ final roster spots became clear for a brief time, only to be clouded by doubt.

With Major League Baseball rosters expanded to 26 players this season and teams expected to carry 13 pitchers (the maximum limit) and 13 position players, it has left a unique set of circumstances on how teams might fill out their bench spots.

For the Mariners, just when it seemed like you could project how they might fill those final two or three spots following roster moves Tuesday, a wayward pitch from an Angels pitcher in a Cactus League game hours later might have brought on more uncertainty.

- - - - - - -

In the third inning, Moore took a 93-mph fastball from Angels starter Dylan Bundy off his right wrist. The impact made a grotesque sound, and Moore was in immediate agony. He was removed from the game for what seemed certain to be a fractured wrist at the time.

Initial X-rays showed only a deep bone bruise, but further tests could change the diagnosis.

“It did not look good or sound good,” Servais said. “We’ll know more (Wednesday).”

It’s the wrong time for Moore to be sidelined.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Fri May 15, 2020 10:11 pm
  • Well, COVID-19 achieved what I believed a near impossiblity: the Mariners are tied for first halfway through May!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Maulbert wrote:Well, COVID-19 achieved what I believed a near impossiblity: the Mariners are tied for first halfway through May!

In the same sense that...
    The first highschool I went to (grades 9-11) hasn’t lost a football game in 33 years.

Of course they haven’t played a game in 33 years since it’s been closed since then. :(
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Maulbert wrote:Well, COVID-19 achieved what I believed a near impossiblity: the Mariners are tied for first halfway through May!

Still cant win a game though.. frustrating
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon May 18, 2020 11:54 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:Well, COVID-19 achieved what I believed a near impossiblity: the Mariners are tied for first halfway through May!

Still cant win a game though.. frustrating

But they haven't lost, either!

Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• June 1st spring training will start. July 1st or 8th will be 1st game of 82.

Thoughts?
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

• There was a draft this week..
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:53 am
  • Pitcher, 2nd basemen, third baseman is all I got from hearing the news, wonder what happened to the other 3 picks, thought it was 6 rounds.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

PreviousNext

It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:31 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information