Mariners ‘19-‘20 offseason thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1owrzy62 said:
Just so we don’t have to wade though the in-season thread.

Kiddie pool full of tears in there.

Think it might be a quiet off-season

sutz

Reaction score
DiPoto is saying not to expect much. Year one of the step back. Probably too early to blow all the savings we got from our fire sale just yet. Pretty sure he said it himself, don't want to shove a bunch of expensive vets in front of the young guys we're trying to develop. Might get good value for Dee Gordon among a couple of others.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
I'd expect a couple trades in the off-season. Gordon in particular. I expect Haniger to be traded at the deadline if he can actually stay healthy and increase his value. I'd also expect them to trade 1 of Santana or Vogie, I would prefer to keep Santana as DH/5th OF.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":22d7nkjd said:
I'd expect a couple trades in the off-season. Gordon in particular. I expect Haniger to be traded at the deadline if he can actually stay healthy and increase his value. I'd also expect them to trade 1 of Santana or Vogie, I would prefer to keep Santana as DH/5th OF.
I like Haniger but the future OF is Lewis, Kelenic, Rodriguez.
Would love to hang onto Mitch but if he stays healthy you may be able to trade him for pitching. If not you can have an OF rotation with the DH position. I’m thinking 2021 season when the young studs are all up.

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
Welp.... if the nats win tonight, our seattle mariners will be the only team never to make the WS. Dont know whether to laugh or cry... but i really dont see anyone beating the astros. As much as i hate them, they are very good :(

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Seahaaaawks":2y21l8ql said:
Welp.... if the nats win tonight, our seattle mariners will be the only team never to make the WS. Dont know whether to laugh or cry... but i really dont see anyone beating the astros. As much as i hate them, they are very good :(
Good Lord, the Ms are a sad sack franchise.

I kind of like the 'Stros. Promise I won't ever root for the Yanks. They're the Cowboys of MLB, just a gigantic bandwagon team.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Yep and the Mariners have been around a lot longer than a lot of franchises. I wouldn't expect them to snap the streak anytime soon. Garbage franchise that I don't care much about. Would easily trade them away for an NBA team. Wouldn't surprise me if the NHL team makes the playoffs before the Mariners do. They might be one of the worst major sports franchises.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Seahaaaawks":9q3qou1v said:
And there you have it.... mariners officially the only team to never make the WS. F word :pukeface:
It’s so sad, it’s funny! You’re right, F-word!

getnasty

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":1f3actrk said:
Yep and the Mariners have been around a lot longer than a lot of franchises. I wouldn't expect them to snap the streak anytime soon. Garbage franchise that I don't care much about. Would easily trade them away for an NBA team. Wouldn't surprise me if the NHL team makes the playoffs before the Mariners do. They might be one of the worst major sports franchises.

Tell us how you really feel.

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
getnasty":3dfpwl4z said:
Hawk-Lock":3dfpwl4z said:

Tell us how you really feel.
lol the real browns of baseball. Bad news mariners. However you wanna put it..... i want to celebrate like DC is tonight... just ONCE!!!!

Maulbert

Reaction score
Seahaaaawks":2li9t1cj said:
And there you have it.... mariners officially the only team to never make the WS. F word :pukeface:

giphy.webp

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
More like since 1977 ^^^^

Not only are they only MLB team to not make the WS, but they are also the franchise with the longest playoff drought in North American pro sports, now 18 years and counting as the post above obviously is referring to.
They've made the postseason exactly 4 times in 43 seasons of existence. That is truly consistent suck.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
And now there is word that Joe Maddon will be the new manager in Anaheim for the Angels. Oh great another division rival doing more to win than the Mariners.

sutz

Reaction score
Like it or not, we're kind of stuck in our current plan for another 2 years at least. Personally, I'm glad someone came in and actually had a plan to bolster our farm system with a look to future production. We spent the last 20 years or so thinking we could trade our way to the promised land and sold off all of our farm system for a bunch of older guys who only came here for the money.

DiPoto and Sevais probably waited 2 years too long to start this process, but I'm actually looking forward to how all these young guys will work out, hopefully in Mariner uniforms. One added pain to all the others has been seeing young prospects flourish on other teams after we developed them in the minors.

The M's were actually competitive with the league average teams at the end of 2019. Long way to go, but promising, I think.

sutz

Reaction score
Decent read on our prospects coming off the '19 season.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mar ... hey-fared/

With the regular season in the rearview mirror, now is a good time to look back at the The Seattle Times’ list of the Mariners’ Top 15 prospects going into the 2019 season and how they fared. Obviously, the rankings will change going into next season based on how they performed in 2019, and there will be additions and subtractions to the list moving forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.