When you want to like other sports but just don't get it

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I woujld like to like other sports--specifically basketball and soccer. But in watching several games, I don't really get it from an entertainment perspective. This makes me sad. I have tried to follow the Warriors (in-market here) and have gone to their games (pricey) but haven't gotten invested in them as a team or as a sport even knowing the basic rules and with lots of knowlegeable fans I can ask stupid questions to without embarrassment. Soccer is a worldwide phenom, as such I've watched their games but it's just people kicking the ball to me.

Besides football, I enjoy baseball, hockey and to an extent MMA and boxing. Less so since Day died. I don't want to see people die for my entertainment.

But given my enjoyment, especially of football, I feel like I am missing out somehow. Any reflections on how and why I can enjoy these other major sports and broaden horizons somewhat? Or should I just accept that this is the way it is?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":59ikz8vd said:
But given my enjoyment, especially of football, I feel like I am missing out somehow. Any reflections on how and why I can enjoy these other major sports and broaden horizons somewhat? Or should I just accept that this is the way it is?

I won't turn this into a soccer thread, but I also didn't really care for soccer until I started coaching it about 15 years ago. Then the Sounders showed up, I bought season tickets and the rest is history. I was hooked.

IMO soccer is like hockey, doesn't translate well on TV for the average sports fan. But see it in person and the light goes on. So all I'd say is to go see a couple Sounder matches in person, and even if you don't quite understand what's going on, you'll have fun in that crazy environment.

As far sports I don't get, auto racing is at the top for me. I guess if you're a gearhead and get into all the car parts, speed and drivers it's enjoyable? But just watching cars go around the same track 400 times is mind numbingly boring to me.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Soccer for me. I’ve tried many times, it just can’t hold my attention.
I do respect the sounders and their very loyal fanbase though.

I am a lifelong baseball fan, and many see that as a boring unwatchable sport.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
You hear Europeans say the same about football. That it's too complicated and long.

General rule is pick a team and watch them each week and go to the odd game in person, take the highs with the lows.

Just pick smart. Don't pick a team who are always awful but I also don't see the appeal of following a team who always win like Real Madrid, Barcelona etc unless you live in those cities, its boring. Also pick a team, preferably local where you can readily access the games.

I knew nothing of baseball and little of football outwith the super bowl before moving to the US 10 years ago. Had to learn about US sports. I still don't know anything about hockey, mainly as Seattle don't have an NHL team.

Baseball was the hardest to get into, its pretty boring to watch on tv if you don't know whats going on but far far better in person. I started getting into during the Mariners season where they missed the wild card by a game and bought in to the highs and lows.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":28a19tbh said:

I played baseball all the way through college, and obsessed over the M's for as far back as I can remember. But something clicked with me about 10 years ago, now I just can't get through a game it's so long and slow.

Maybe I've become more impatient/ADD in my old age? Maybe it's the fact that the M's haven't given me ANYTHING to get excited about since 2001? Idk, but other then the World Series, I can't sit through a game anymore..........even in person. I gotta get up, walk around, drink $12 beers just to keep myself entertained.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2hw8bc97 said:
Sports Hernia":2hw8bc97 said:

I played baseball all the way through college, and obsessed over the M's for as far back as I can remember. But something clicked with me about 10 years ago, now I just can't get through a game it's so long and slow.

Maybe I've become more impatient/ADD in my old age? Maybe it's the fact that the M's haven't given me ANYTHING to get excited about since 2001? Idk, but other then the World Series, I can't sit through a game anymore..........even in person. I gotta get up, walk around, drink $12 beers just to keep myself entertained.
Probably the combo of bad boring M’s teams and the games lasting longer.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3sc4g21p said:
Ditto. My 2nd favorite behind football. Much better experience in person though not difficult on TV like hockey. Think baseball is a fantastic sport. Hoops is a distant 3rd even though I was good enough at it that I played college ball (very low level, NAIA). Never could get into soccer though I do watch some World Cup. Ditto hockey, watch a little. Once Seattle gets a team I'll be more likely to watch them.

Hernia: would you outlaw the shift in baseball (2 infielders required to be on either side of 2nd base)?\

Sgt. Largent: it really is difficult to be a Mariners fan. Worst franchise in North American sports. As I said in the Las Vegas As thread, if Portland got a franchise (Tampa Bay please!) I'd immediately jump off the S.S. Mariner

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3vwymtc4 said:
Sports Hernia":3vwymtc4 said:
Ditto. My 2nd favorite behind football. Much better experience in person though not difficult on TV like hockey. Think baseball is a fantastic sport. Hoops is a distant 3rd even though I was good enough at it that I played college ball (very low level, NAIA). Never could get into soccer though I do watch some World Cup. Ditto hockey, watch a little. Once Seattle gets a team I'll be more likely to watch them.

Hernia: would you outlaw the shift in baseball (2 infielders required to be on either side of 2nd base)?\

Sgt. Largent: it really is difficult to be a Mariners fan. Worst franchise in North American sports. As I said in the Las Vegas As thread, if Portland got a franchise (Tampa Bay please!) I'd immediately jump off the S.S. Mariner
Great question on the shift. Yes, I would require 2 infielders on each side of second base (don’t care where). I’d also require the infielders to play the infield, and not be a “short outfielder”, like which is done with a lot of 2nd basemen.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":hq8lyetq said:
hawksfansinceday1":hq8lyetq said:
Sports Hernia":hq8lyetq said:

Great question on the shift. Yes, I would require 2 infielders on each side of second base (don’t care where). I’d also require the infielders to play the infield, and not be a “short outfielder”, like which is done with a lot of 2nd basemen.
Agree. No further out than the edge of the dirt.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Have never understood the hype of Soccer. But I've been down this rabbit hole before, so I'll just leave it at that. So much butthurt last time...... :lol:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":ja532fxp said:
Sports Hernia":ja532fxp said:

I still love my M's. Some of my fondest memories of being a Seattle sports fan are the M's.

I just think baseball is a bygone sport that existed at a time when life was just slower, so there was an appeal to just taking in this slow methodical long game where you could relax, have a hotdog and talk to people.

My guess is if baseball was invented now, it'd be like 6 innings long and the season would only be maybe 100 games. Hard to get excited about seeing a baseball game on May 1st when there's another 130 of them. Sports like football are popular not only for their violence, but because there's a sense of urgency and importance to every game, and every play.

Having said all this, I can guarantee you if the M's ever got really good again I'd jump back on. In the end, that's really all fans want, a reason to watch or care............and brother, a team tanking for years in the hopes to be good sometime in the future sure as hell isn't a reason.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
SF Giants fan here. Totally understand though just tuning out or not wanting to watch all games on TV.

I think they understood that too, so they built a stadium that unlike Levi's is a mini-family vacation destination. Lots of things for kids to do. Way better food than I've seen anywhere else. If you get stadium claustrophobia, you can go out to the harbor, walk around and wave to the kayakers and sailboaters out hoping to get a ball. These are factors in a game that can go five hours or more.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":2cpb48oy said:
I woujld like to like other sports--specifically basketball and soccer. But in watching several games, I don't really get it from an entertainment perspective. This makes me sad. I have tried to follow the Warriors (in-market here) and have gone to their games (pricey) but haven't gotten invested in them as a team or as a sport even knowing the basic rules and with lots of knowlegeable fans I can ask stupid questions to without embarrassment. Soccer is a worldwide phenom, as such I've watched their games but it's just people kicking the ball to me.

Besides football, I enjoy baseball, hockey and to an extent MMA and boxing. Less so since Day died. I don't want to see people die for my entertainment.

I'm with you on both sports. Basketball is only entertaining for me at the collegiate level, and even then it's a passing interest at best. The NBA is garbage. Soccer is literally the most boring sport ever conceived. The only way to make it palatable is by putting it on ice, giving the players sticks, encouraging fights, and calling it "hockey".

James in PA

Reaction score
No other sport comes close to the NFL. I used to be into MLB and NBA years ago, but started to drift away from both in the 90s. The one popular sports I never “got” was college hoops. People go nuts over March Madness and take off work to watch it. I don’t wanna hear about your damn bracket!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
James in PA":1v0x40ia said:
No other sport comes close to the NFL. I used to be into MLB and NBA years ago, but started to drift away from both in the 90s. The one popular sports I never “got” was college hoops. People go nuts over March Madness and take off work to watch it. I don’t wanna hear about your damn bracket!

Haha, yes true about the college brackets...........right up there with I don't care about your fantasy football team.

I do enjoy the college tourney though. Love the upsets and elimination tournament style. Makes for a lot of great drama.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
James in PA":1xw7eu29 said:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dunno, I find women's tennis absolutely fascinating. Perhaps even more so than the NFL.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
A game I have never understood going to ior watching on TV is golf. Not for lack of understanding; I've caddied games the old fashioned way, and I have played. It is not my favorite activity to do, but I see the appeal in playing it.

But with these paid games, if you're not 6'8", explain how you see anything past the people in front of you. There are like 20 good viewing spots there. Whereas if you watch on TV, you don't get the 3-D of the course that becomes immediately apparent once there.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":3hr5692e said:
A game I have never understood going to ior watching on TV is golf. Not for lack of understanding; I've caddied games the old fashioned way, and I have played. It is not my favorite activity to do, but I see the appeal in playing it.

But with these paid games, if you're not 6'8", explain how you see anything past the people in front of you. There are like 20 good viewing spots there. Whereas if you watch on TV, you don't get the 3-D of the course that becomes immediately apparent once there.

I love golf. Love playing it and love watching it. I even went to three days of the US Open when it was at Chambers Bay.

If people don't like playing golf, I get why it's boring. But if you love the sport, you also love the players, and that's the appeal of attending tournaments in person, getting to see all the players you admire and love watching on TV...........and for those of us that play golf, holy moly is it fun to watch players hit the ball so well, because we know how hard it is.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
It's hockey for me. Never got into it. Even with Seattle getting a team I have no real desire to watch.