Seattle Sounders 2020 Season Thread

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
First competitive match of the year is tonight. Lodiero and Svensson are out, Shipp is questionable, everyone else is ready to go, including new signee Miguel Ibara.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Here's tonight's starting lineup.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/LIVESounders/status/1230673606532718592[/tweet]

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Worst part of the MLS schedule, having to play fully fit clubs in the Champions League without having even one MLS match under our belt to get a little fitness in.

I'll take two away goals though, even though we had a 2-0 lead (should have been 3-0 if Morris was selfish).

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SeatownJay":i939atl9 said:
Miguel Ibarra training with Seattle.

https://www.sounderatheart.com/2020/2/1 ... e-sounders

Si, you're the resident Loon around here, can you give us any insight?

Ibarra is a nice little creative player, but just hasn't settled anywhere.

Was the best player on the team before they moved to mls.. then got a,move to Mexico that didn't pan out.

He will be good cover for your midfield.

Re MNU: they've revamped their roster again and are expected to challenge for top 3 in the West. Very exciting attacking players to balance the defenders added last year.

I'll be their opening day. Excited for the season.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":q9zw3wm0 said:
Re MNU: they've revamped their roster again and are expected to challenge for top 3 in the West. Very exciting attacking players to balance the defenders added last year.

I'll be their opening day. Excited for the season.

As long as Ozzie's there, I will also be a fan of MNU. My favorite Sounder of all time.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1hqgnntc said:
Worst part of the MLS schedule, having to play fully fit clubs in the Champions League without having even one MLS match under our belt to get a little fitness in.

I'll take two away goals though, even though we had a 2-0 lead (should have been 3-0 if Morris was selfish).
Olimpia's goal scorer shouldn't have even been on the pitch. He should have been shown a straight red for his jumping kick into Frei's ribs, but CONCACAF gonna CONCACAF I guess.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SeatownJay":sinadwq3 said:
Ibarra currently leads the league in missed shots by a comfortable margin.

Terrible, just terrible. Not hard to see why MUFC let him go..........he was also a non factor in the Olimipia match.

Luckily the MLS is a league where one great player can make all the difference, so let's hope Lodeiro's tendinitis heals up and he can get back on the pitch. I'm very anxious to see how he and Joao Paulo work together.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Speaking of MUFC...

Put the timbers to it the other night. Controlled large portions of thst match, then became opportunistic when it mattered.

Good start.

Ibarra is an ok player. He will have the odd excellent display and you'll get very hopeful, then he will move around for 90 minutes and do little but take others touches and space.

Never your worst player on the field, rarely your best.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Uncle Si":11j1z7q5 said:
Speaking of MUFC...

Put the timbers to it the other night. Controlled large portions of thst match, then became opportunistic when it mattered.

Good start.

Ibarra is an ok player. He will have the odd excellent display and you'll get very hopeful, then he will move around for 90 minutes and do little but take others touches and space.

So he should fit right in. This seemed to be the Sounders overall game plan for all the players for the first 60 minutes on Sunday.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
JustTheTip":3p3sdihj said:
Uncle Si":3p3sdihj said:
Speaking of MUFC...

Good start.

So he should fit right in. This seemed to be the Sounders overall game plan for all the players for the first 60 minutes on Sunday.

This problem is not unique to the Sounders, most MLS clubs have a very hard time fielding dangerous lineups with backups, as was the case Sunday with no Morris or Lodeiro. Ibarra and Leyva is quite a big drop in quality.

It's why the game completely changed when Morris came on in the 2nd half.

Since we're out of the Champions League, shouldn't be an issue anymore going forward, no more two matches in four days.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1ezhyjtp said:
Speaking of MUFC...

Good start.

Never your worst player on the field, rarely your best

Sounds very much like Christian Roldan

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
This tournament is a waste of time. Like watching preseason and I think the Sounders are treating it as such, they look rusty and struggling in the heat. Sucks that it counts against regular season.

Sounders are typically slow starters at the best of times but they look like they lack squad depth this year. Arreaga is...not good. An absolute liability. They miss the likes of Smith, Shipp, Torres, Kim and Rodriguez. Joao Paulo will help with Rodriguez but there are still holes.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":2akw1arr said:
This tournament is a waste of time. Like watching preseason and I think the Sounders are treating it as such, they look rusty and struggling in the heat. Sucks that it counts against regular season.

Sounders are typically slow starters at the best of times but they look like they lack squad depth this year. Arreaga is...not good. An absolute liability. They miss the likes of Smith, Shipp, Torres, Kim and Rodriguez. Joao Paulo will help with Rodriguez but there are still holes.

The Sounders have no excuses for their poor showing in the tournament thus far. The Timbers are winning their group and they have arguably better teams in their group compared to the Sounders group. Shame the Sounders continue to blow early tournaments. They played horrible in the Champions league tournament too.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Last night was more like the Sounders we love and know. Through to the next round.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Vancouver beat Chicago this morning, meaning Seattle finish 2nd in the group and will face either Portland or LAFC in the Round of 16.